Special Needs
Options

I AM LIVID. **final resolution at bottom**

edited November 2013 in Special Needs
Incase you are unable to see my image attachment, it's an EOB form, that I received in the mail today, for P.  Both girls had a dentist appointment in October, the same dentist we have gone to for 2 years, which I have highly recommended to a lot of people.  Line 4 (just below the oral exam, prophylaxis & topical application) if you can see, says, "behavior management."  Wait wait. If you're done laughing, it also says beside it, $150.  ONE HUNDRED & FIFTY DOLLARS.

Oh, it gets better, BECAUSE, P didn't even shed a single fing tear during that visit!!!!  

Like I said, livid.

I called and the receptionist said their is a note on the chart from the dental assistant saying something about non-compliance (I was too angry to listen) and I asked to speak with the office manager, and was sent to her voicemail.  I really tried to keep it together but at the end of the voicemail you could tell I was furious.  You market yourself as a pediatric dentist and as an office that caters to children with special needs?!?!

I'm sorry but that does not equate to $150 fee's.  It's not like she bit the dental assistant and ran away!  They attempted to do xrays even though it wasn't time for them, because she has 2 insurances and the 2nd will pay.  After about 3 mins they gave up, because P wouldn't bite down.  She has had them in the past, but I don't blame her, they suck.  And, they weren't necessary, they  just wanted more money basically.  But the dentist didn't spend any extra time with her, and she did great for the cleaning & exam.  

I am dumbfounded by this whole thing, office manager better call me back, or I am writing to the local paper.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Regardless, we will be getting our records and leaving the practice.  Even if they take the charge off (more like WHEN, lol), it is an intentional charge since they found a note on her chart.  

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

Re: I AM LIVID. **final resolution at bottom**

• Options
    Hmmm, doesn't seem like they managed any behavior.  ;-)

That really sucks and I would be pissed too.
  • Options
    What a pile of BS. I'm just sitting here shaking my head. WTH!?!? 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You have every right to be furious. That is outrageous. Our pediatric dentist caters to kids with special needs as well, and we've never been charged extra for them taking extra time or trying a different approach to help DD get through an appointment. They work with her SPD and insane gag reflex without batting an eye. And extra X-rays? WTF?
  • Options

Good for you for calling them out on that BS. Let us know how it turns out. I can see adding a charge for sedation, but anything else is crap.

• Options
    bubba2b said:
    Curiously have you contacted the state about this? If not a mistake on the office's part, could it be more?

@bubba2b what exactly do you mean by contacting the state?  Or could it be more..sorry lol my brain is fried.  

UPDATE:  I called on my lunch break today (guess who didn't eat!) and the office manager had yet to check her voicemail so I had to brief her on the whole situation.  She wasn't that pleasant either, but she basically was like, "what do you want me to do for you?"

UHM WHAT?

I told her I was that such a charge even existed, and she confirmed that they do cater to special needs children (they are a pediatric dentist) and that it was most certainly how their office operates.  She said their was a note on the chart that said something to the effect of, "patient was extremely nervous and anxious extra TLC given, refused bitewings"

I told her that the bitewings shouldn't even have been attempted and I felt like they were exposing my child to extra radiation just to get more money, and again that it was at most 3 minutes of attempting to get the bitewings, and she just wouldn't bite down correctly.  I told her the dentist themself did not spend any extra time, and again, not a single freaking tear was shed!!

She basically said she had to investigate, that she couldn't take my word.

I'm still mad.  I was so mad I cried when I called H to tell him what she said.  He wants to threaten to get a lawyer.

Auntie what are our legal options here??  I dont' remember EVER signing anything that states they charge fees like that, and honestly I am just SUPER MAD a charge like this even exists.  It is unfathomable to me!  

I don't know where to start or who to report too, I am so frustrated by this whole thing.
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options
    That is ridiculous! A couple of years ago, they had to have my DH and a staff member hold my daughter down to get her teeth cleaned. They never charged us anything extra.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Options
    Well the office manager called back today, after developing gout on Sunday I am so over everything right now that I basically just did the nod & agree approach.  She said if they took 3 extra minutes with everychild everyday of the week that would be 45 hours a week total, and even though she wasn't physically resistant she still didn't comply, blah blah blah.  She also said that the medicaid will likely pick the charge up and pay for it.

Lets hope for my sake & their's, that it does.  

As far as I'm concerned, they have wack policies, and we won't be going back, and I just really hope not to receive a bill from them for $150 in the next month!

• Options
    That is absurd. So basically they do it because they figure Medicaid will pay for it. It's three friggin' minutes. I'm glad you're not going back there. I hope you can find a new practice that's better.
  • Options
    Auntie, yeah we rarely use her medicaid so I have no clue if they will pick this up or not.  She was pretty insistent that they would.  I think it's Fed up that basically bc she has medical diagnosis and medicaid they are slapping the charge on.  She was 10x better than what I would expect from a typical 3 year old.  Because she isn't scared of doctors, etc.  And she's had the xrays 6 months prior with no resistance.  

She's had a couple spinal xrays done for her scoliosis, her wrist a couple of times, and a couple chest xrays for pneumonia, plus multiple VCUGs and upper GIs so yeah..kind of a lot of radiation lol!

• Options
    I would call your medicaid insurance number and tell them.  They can put this in a file and it can lead to them not allowing this doctor to participate.  What he's doing equates to fraud.
  • Options
    Why did you agree to them attempting the x rays in the first place, if it wasnt even time for them? They ask us every time as well and we politely refuse. x rays are not harmless pictures, who cares if 2nd insurance pays for them?
  • Options

Digitial photography + Reddit + your local paper.

I don't wish ill on a professional or a business trying to make a profit, but $150 for 3 minutes is gouging, plain and simple. 

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    That's terrible! I'm sorry they are being so unreasonable. Our pediatric dentist has been fantastic with our kids. They are so gentle and great about explaining things in a really kid-friendly way and putting the kids at ease, and no extra charge for taking time to make sure the child is comfortable with what's happening.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    I have recommended them to so many people, because prior to this, they were awesome and we did love them.  I have a friend who is a dental assistant, so we will probably go to her practice even though it's a lot farther away, once this is all done and over with.  

And they didn't really give me a chance to say no to the xrays, I had both girls and they were making me pay for dd2's flouride treatment ($50!) so between that, and DH being with M I wasn't with P when they took her back to attempt the xrays.  It was more of a, we are going to do this because insurance will cover it type deal.  Then the dentist asked why they were trying to do it since it wasn't time after they said she wouldn't cooperate.  I walked over to the doorway for the xrays and was about to pull the plug (literally had my mouth open) when they gave up.

• Options

I don't think they can x-ray without your approval. It's possible you were distracted because you were dealing with both daughters at the same time?...but someone must have asked about the x-rays and someone must have agreed to it, just like they have to ask about any procedure. Maybe your H agreed without you knowing? If not, you could dispute the charge...if nobody truly asked for permission.

Maybe that's something you guys can discuss before dr's appointments next time (what you will allow and what you will not - and if you are on the fence, talk to each other - it's ok to stop the Dr./nurses for a moment). I know I prep myself before any appointment because truth be told, doctor offices are a business (even though we don't want to believe it) and they sometimes push unnecessary stuff on us to our detriment, just to make a buck....because as you said, the insurance will pay for it, so why not pin it on the patient (even though it's technically harmful). I may sound cynical, but that is my experience. Nobody has your kids' best interest at heart like you do. You are their best advocate. There is such a thing as over-exposure to radiation from x-rays. Radiation is cancer-inducing. The dental office can sugar coat it all they want, yeah yeah, I heard it, too - "they're digital x rays" or "it's like taking a picture or walking in the sun"...etc. - ask them why they feel the need to protect themselves by leaving the room and why they're putting the heavy anti-radiation coat on a patient every time, if it's just "like taking a picture"? There was a published study, which made it on national TV about six months ago, which concluded that the climbing U.S. cancer rate may also be caused by frequent (mainly dental) x-rays - which the frequency is outrageous compared to Europe, for example. Why - EU insurance doesn't pay for x rays every six months. The study also stated that it is recommended not to have dental x-rays done more than once per five years, routinelly (if something's amiss, that's different, of course).

FWIW, my 8-year old has never had dental x-rays done and I strictly follow the 5-year rule for myself (unless in pain). The dentist is not happy with me (they don't say anything, but I can tell). They probably think I'm a BAAAD mother. I give exactly zero fucks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"