Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Not poop as often since cereal started

DS is 5 months old, we started oatmeal cereal on Saturday since then he he had only had one poop diaper. Today, my DH said he had been very cranky. I believe it is probably cause he hasn't pooped since Monday morning. Any advice TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Not poop as often since cereal started

• When DD started solids (rice cereal) she didn't poop for 7 days. I was freaking out. We ended up introducing strained prunes as her third food, that got things moving.
  • How much are you giving?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe try some oatmeal. My pedi said rice could stop up LO and if it did to try some oatmeal.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I would probably slow down on the cereal. Then once you got the ball rolling on pooping again then I would try oatmeal cereal.
    Cereal doesn't do much for babies but with my son & now DD it taught them how to swallow their food & the whole tongue thrust stuff. But once they get the hang I started veggies then some fruit but I make my own baby food & mixed some oatmeal in it to thicken it up.
    Contact your Dr if he seems super cranky. My son did this & once he pooped he was soo happy!! It wasn't cereal that caused him be constipated it was bananas.
    Good luck & sorry its long!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Maybe don't give cereal? It doesn't do anything for them anyway. It stops them up because their bodies can't process it yet. Suggesting solids before 6 months is old-school pediatrician. It's not the current reccomedation.

This, maybe give it a little longer. Maybe LO's system isn't quite ready?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Maybe don't give cereal? It doesn't do anything for them anyway. It stops them up because their bodies can't process it yet. Suggesting solids before 6 months is old-school pediatrician. It's not the current reccomedation.

This. =D>
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • It's natural. What do you want us to say? Solids = challenges the intestines = harder to poop. :-??

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• The fake iron that it's fortified with is difficult to digest. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hydration and movement. Sometimes the bowels get a little stuck and being active helps move stuff along. Also the consistency might be too thick for the age making it harder on a system used to straight liquid. Are you breastfeeding or bottle? If breastfeeding, I would recommend drinking some apple juice. I had a hankering for some and it seemed that my LO pooped all day afterwards.
  • It's very common for babies to get constipated when cereal is introduced. I'd back off the cereal until LOs digestive system is ready.

• edited November 2013
    If your LO is formula fed you can skip the cereal. However, if your LO is breastfed it is recommended to introduce iron fortified cereals by 6 months of age because the iron in your breastmilk is depleted by 4 months postpartum.

Iron defeciancy is no joke and can lead to severe long term health problems. You can either introduce other iron rich foods or mix applejuice with the cereal to help with any constipation.

https://m.aapnews.aappublications.org/content/early/2010/10/05/aapnews.20101005-1.full
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If your LO is formula fed you can skip the cereal. However, if your LO is breastfed it is recommended to introduce iron fortified cereals by 6 months of age because the iron in your breastmilk is depleted by 4 months postpartum. Iron defeciancy is no joke and can lead to severe long term health problems. You can either introduce other iron rich foods or mix applejuice with the cereal to help with any constipation. https://m.aapnews.aappublications.org/content/early/2010/10/05/aapnews.20101005-1.full
    Not only is that not true, but it makes far more sense to offer real iron from real food rather than some processed crap.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited November 2013
    I think I'll go ahead and stick with what the AAP recommends. in addition, what would fake iron be exactly? Tin? Furthermore, I did make the suggestion that she look for food naturally high in iron.

Last, and most importantly, the Kellymom sources are mostly from the 70's, 80's and 90's with the most recent source coming from the year 2003. The AAP reccomendation was made in 2010. Certainly, it is resonable to believe that a decades worth of more recent research and studies is far more valuable then outdated data.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"