Working Moms
Options

Building a wardrobe....

I'll be transitioning to full time work after being home for the better part tof two years! What are your easy go to wardrobe essentials for casual business casual? Specifically I'll be doing community based social service work. Thanks!
"When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew." -Shakespere

Re: Building a wardrobe....

• Options
    I should add that I literally have two pairs of dress pants and 2-3 work appropriate tops:( two babies have drastically changed my body since I last worked full time!
  • Options
    I love pants from express there are going to be some good sales next week. I shop at express, the limited, Ny&Co, and loft.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Community-based social service work can be pretty relaxed.  I would take a cue from your new co-workers, but for most in-the-field workers it has been jeans.  I'm in a higher position, so if I wear jeans (on Friday), I try to make it denim trousers.  Khakis and inexpensive trousers are great!  If you might be getting into dirty work, I wouldn't spend too much on the clothes.  I found some great skinny pants at Gap recently.
    University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• Options
    Most of my work wardrobe is from the Banana Republic Factory Store and Ann Taylor Loft.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    I teach, so I can wear "fancy" t-shirts. I love the scoop neck ones from Target, Merona brand. The neckline has a bit of gathering. They hold up pretty well (I air dry them), and they have some spandex so they don't get stretched out.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    nosoup4u said:

I teach, so I can wear "fancy" t-shirts. I love the scoop neck ones from Target, Merona brand. The neckline has a bit of gathering. They hold up pretty well (I air dry them), and they have some spandex so they don't get stretched out.

I like Merona stuff in general. It's inexpensive and usually machine washable. A few accessories make the clothes more professional, but as PP mentioned, sometimes it's better to look "relatable." I'm a physician but many of my patients are indigent, and I like to keep my work clothes low-key.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    I agree with needing to look relatable, though jeans are only allowed Fridays. Thanks for the input! I'm going to check out Target and NY and Co this week.
  • Options
    NY&Co is great - I just got some new work clothes there for my return to work after leave. And Target is a mainstay of my clothes shopping. Ann Taylor Loft is good too, but pricier than I like, at least when I'm hopeful I'll be changing sizes before too long... I also like Nordstrom Rack and H&M
  • Options
    Try on work pants at a few different stores to see which have the best fit for you and then buy them in a bunch of colors!
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    Just curious, are dressy cords, and straight leg pants typically ok? Or too casual? I was thinking with flats or boots....
  • Options

Just curious, are dressy cords, and straight leg pants typically ok? Or too casual? I was thinking with flats or boots....

Depends on your office environment and the external folks you interact with. You may need to check things out for the first couple days before going crazy getting a bunch of clothes that may be too casual, or more dressy than necessary (the latter sounds like a potential concern in your field from what PPs wrote)
  • Options
    Throw in 1 blazer, 2 cardigans and a 3 button ups in basic colors as well as at least a neutral shift dress and at least 2 skirt options and you'll have enough to mix and match for a month or more. I love hitting up TJ Maxx/Marshalls since they usu. have great prices and basics.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"