Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Humidifier/ congestion

LO seems to wake up congested.. Cool mist humidifier or warm? I'm seeing mixed reviews so just thought I would ask if anyone had good experiences. Thanks!
She is 6 weeks- anyone else dealing with stuffy/congested nose? Poor baby sounds like a pig in the morning.

Re: Humidifier/ congestion

• We've been using a cool mist humidifier. I don't even think I've seen a warm mist humidifier lately.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cool mist and some Vicks on the soles of LO's feet with footie PJs or socks.
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We use the vicks cool moisture tower humidifier. You can get the wf2 filters at any drugstore. Go buy the saline solution called little noses. After putting a few drops in each nostril, take the aspirator and suck it out. Also have the baby sleep in an incline. Our LO always sounds congested, almost sounds like a pig grunting when really bad. She sleeps in her carseat with the humidifier on and twice a week I use the saline solution. Her pediatrician said to suction the nose as much as need to, a little nosebleed is fine.
  • We use the vicks cool moisture tower humidifier. You can get the wf2 filters at any drugstore. Go buy the saline solution called little noses. After putting a few drops in each nostril, take the aspirator and suck it out. Also have the baby sleep in an incline. Our LO always sounds congested, almost sounds like a pig grunting when really bad. She sleeps in her carseat with the humidifier on and twice a week I use the saline solution. Her pediatrician said to suction the nose as much as need to, a little nosebleed is fine.
    This.  Jake is now 3 months.  We have done the cool mist humidifier, saline drops (all the time), and baby vapor rub (the all natural kind).  He sleeps in his swing.  Pedi also said you didn't have to suction everytime.  She did advise to place saline drops in his nose before feeding.  Helps to soothe and clear the passages.  I also tried a trick another poster suggested.  Rub olive oil on his nose and massage the sinuses. Helps to pull the snot forward to get it out.  Crazily enough, it worked.  Not sure if it will all the time, but it did that time!  You don't put it in their nose, just on the outside.   
  • I was just getting ready to post a thread concerning this. My baby is only 9 days old and she's congested. I know a lot is this weather change. Then my room doesn't seem to balance out the temps too well. It's either too hot or too cold. I feel so helpless; yet, she's my fourth child. I don't have a humidifier so what would be another option for me. Perhaps standing in the bathroom while shower runs. I'm going to make a saline solution like I did for my other children. I hate when my babies are like this.
  • I have a two month old that has been congested since she was a week old.  I felt so helpless and she hated the saline and snot sucker.  She had a hard time with the bottles and stopped breastfeeding all together.  Turns out she had acid reflux which was causing her congestion, along with other issues.  There maybe an underling issue to your baby's congestion.  They may have an earache or acid reflux.  I suggestion bringing to the ped. and asking them to look for other causes.  My baby's much happier now. 
  • breast milk up the nose can help no end too!!
  • I ended up using some of my breast milk to ease my LO congestion. It's actually working and she's sleeping and eating better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"