April 2014 Moms

Prenatal vitamins

What kind are you taking? From where and how much?

My doctor prescribed me VitaMed Redi Chew $50/month. Anyone else taking it? Is there a difference with over the counter? Thanks!

Re: Prenatal vitamins

• My midwife mentions that they switch you over from prenatal to something else midway. I'm slightly happy. I have to take 3 of my prenatals a day and they cost 35$ for 1.5 months. WIsh I could get some of those gummies! (The weird things you miss.)
    BabyFruit Ticker mean_girls_35345
  • Loading the player...
  • I get mine on vitacost.com which saves money. I get Garden of Life prenatal. It's a little pricey but the vitamins are raw so it is supposed to absorb better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Its so weird, but they even confiscate vitamins if you try to send them here. I guess they can't tell what they really are, but still, annoying!!
  • I use the Nature Made brand prenatal +DHA.

I didn't realize we get switched to something else eventually. What is it? I thought it was even good to take prenatals while breast feeding.
  • Target gummies here too!
  • Sisimama10Sisimama10 member
    edited November 2013
    Amsull324 said:

I use the Nature Made brand prenatal +DHA.

I didn't realize we get switched to something else eventually. What is it? I thought it was even good to take prenatals while breast feeding.

Switched to something else? You don't. Unless you aren't tolerating what you're taking, you take the same vitamin all through pregnancy. While nursing it's usually recommended too.
  • @Amsull324 Its probably just an Icelandic thing. In general, over here, they recommend taking less folic acid than in America, etc. etc. At first I freaked, but, I see lots of healthy babies so I just decided to follow their advice. Definitely different rules over here :-D
  • I take three different kinds. For no reason other than I saw Stuart's prenatal on sale and got them. Then when I was at trader joe's I decided to try their brand bc it has crushed green superfoods and ginger to settle your stomach and I thought it couldn't hurt. And last, but not least I have a prescription strength one because it's free with my insurance.
  • Vitafusion prenatal gummies. I can't do horse pills!

• Dr prescribed me the free ones from Meijer. Free=FTW
  • I've switched between vitafusion, target brand, and cvs brand gummies. All depends on where I am when I remember I have to buy another bottle. At first I took rx but they were super expensive!

imageimage
  • I use the honest company prenatals and dha. I like that the prenatals are three a day so I can break them up and they're easier on my stomach.
  • I take a gummy and iron supplement since its not in the gummies.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• spring valley prenatal. Probably from walmart. I'm suppose to take an extra folic acid, and I did from about 9 weeks-17 weeks and have been sporatic on that one lately.

Married 2005, DS: 2006, DD: 2008 EDD: 4/16/14- IT'S A GIRL! Scarlett Jean
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • britt33britt33 member
    edited November 2013
    I get Advocare coreplex with iron and their omegaplex (for DHA). I for
    One love that they are tested by an outside company for toxins and impurities... And to verify that what they say is in them is actually in them (since the dang FDA doesn't test supplements). Peace of mind :)
  • Nature Made+ DHA
    Pregnancy Ticker}
  • My doctor said any over the counter prenatal was fine, but then in the same breath wrote me a prescription for one because the rx ones tend to have a bit more folic acid. Haha. So I'm just taking whatever that prescription is, I don't even know what it's called but I'm sure it's very standard.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• I take Sun brand, a calcium gummy, and extra fish oils. That 5 horse pills a day, but it's not awful chased by some OJ.
  • I take MegaFood Baby&Me, plus a vitamin D3 supplement. My midwife suggested the MegaFood since it's all natural (and has folate instead of folic acid which is the better form for you.) It's fairly pricey, but I get it on Amazon for $36 for 30 servings.
    Me: 22, DH:22, Baby #1 Due 4/18/14
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I take spring valley gummies with DHA that I got from Walmart. My system can't tolerate all the iron and these have no iron. Probably not good but my system is much better! Hoping I don't turn deficient and have to take iron anyway!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I take Nature Made +DHA. I got a giant bottle from Costco for a good price.
  • I buy either the Walmart brand or one a day! My doctor looked at them and said they were good. It comes with two bottles (one being the DHA). It's the most $11/month!
    IAmPregnant Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Rainbow Light Prenatal One food-based. $25 for 150 tablets on Amazon.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doctor switched me to citranatal it has slow release iron and a stool softener to help battle constipation. Idk how $$$ it is my insurance covers it thank god but it has seemed to help with the constipation
  • Equate walmart brand.

The kind I was prescribed at first gave me awful migraines.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I buy Meijer brand with DHA. $12-13 for a month's worth.
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't take prenatals :-S

They make me so, so sick. I take folic acid though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Whole Foods brand prenatal + Nordic Naturals DHA. Solely because they came in massive bottles and I was already at WF (and too sick to fathom making another stop) and needed them. I took Target brand prenatals and DHA with DD.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • My prenatal are half gone. They are almost identical to the women's blend I was taking before those, so I'll probably just switch back.

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • My OB said over the counters are fine, so that's what I have been doing.
  • Nature made prenatals with DHA
  • Yes, the Rainbow Light prenatal is great - food based vitamins are better absorbed by the body. With a lot of the prenatals you buy at the grocer, you just pass the minerals w/out much effect.
  • I'm taking Nature's Bounty "Your Life" prenatals.  It's got the DHA already in it.  I was taking a Rx prenatal called Citranatal Assure when I was going through IVF but, dang, they were seriously expensive, like $85 for a box of 30.
  • pineconey said:

My prenatal are half gone. They are almost identical to the women's blend I was taking before those, so I'll probably just switch back.

Does it have the same amount of folic acid. That's really the most important to check...take the women's ones you already have to save money and use them up and maybe add a folic acid supplement. When I couldn't take a prenatal vitamin due to MS I took just folic acid and the nature made one was cheap.
  • I did rainbow light food based for awhile last time but taking six a day was killing me. This time I'm doing the natures path perfect prenatal (I think it's natures path I'm too lazy to look) and it's food based but I only have to take three. Also fish oil and extra vit d.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I mean new chapter not natures path. Losing it!
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • pineconey said:

My prenatal are half gone. They are almost identical to the women's blend I was taking before those, so I'll probably just switch back.

Does it have the same amount of folic acid. That's really the most important to check...take the women's ones you already have to save money and use them up and maybe add a folic acid supplement. When I couldn't take a prenatal vitamin due to MS I took just folic acid and the nature made one was cheap.

It actually has more. :)

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"