Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

My Cytotec(misoprostol) story

mirigirlmirigirl member
edited November 2013 in Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Hey ladies, so last night I took Cytotec and I know I looked for and asked for Cytotec stories, so I figured I could share mine for anyone considering taking it. So here it goes.....

Decision to take it ---I was diagnosed with a mmc where the baby was only measuring 4w3d.
I originally wanted to do a D&C because I really just wanted it to be over with and I also read horror stories from women who took Cytotec. However, my doctor expressed to me that because I do not have any children, she doesn't think I should risk the scarring from the D&C. Plus my insurance wouldn't really cover it, so Cytotec it was!
THIS WILL GET GRAPHIC AND TMI
Taking the medication---
I was soooo nervous all day yesterday to take the meds. But I had to do it. I inserted the medication at bedtime like my doctor said to. I laid a towel down on the bed and wore a pad, she prescribed me 800mg of misoprostol, Vicodin, and anti nausea medication.

At 7:30 pm I took the anti nausea

8:15- inserted misoprostol vaginally and took a vicodin at that time.

I fell asleep around 8:45 with no pain. I woke up around 11:30 with menstrual period strength cramps. I took another Vicodin at this time and sat on the toilet to try and move things along. I got REALLY bad diarrhea (this lasted the rest of the night). I also vomited at this time and fainted from the nausea. I was not bleeding yet so I put the heating bad over my abdomen and went back to bed.

At 12:40 I woke up to throw up.

At 2am I woke up with very intense cramping, it was barely bearable. I vomited a couple times this time I woke up. I took another dose of the anti nausea (which essentially did nothing as I kept throwing up throughout the night. I threw up about 6 times). I was able to fall back asleep.

At 3:15am the cramps were completely unbearable. I was in tears. It was probably the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. I tried all kinds of things to dull the pain (one way was to take another Vicodin), I tried getting on all fours on the ground, straddling the toilet, walking around, NOTHING worked. It kept getting more and more intense. I knew from other women's stories that this most likely meant I was about to pass the sac and clots. So I tried to bear down on the toilet. About 30 EXCRUITATING minutes later, I heard a flop in the toilet I saw the sac. It was about the size of a flattened lime. The pain still remained and about 10 mins later, a small clot came out. After this I INSTANTLY felt 100% better.

4:30 am I woke up again to throw up and still had cramping, not as bad, but it was definitely there. I took another Vicodin and threw up again.

Every time I woke up I had little bleeding. I never filled a pad. Even now as I type this, my bleeding is minimal. So I hope that the medication worked.

I really had no choice with taking this medication due to my insurance, but I am not sure if I would do this medication again. Although it was relatively quick, the pain was absolutely EXCRUITATING. My poor husband did not know what to do and just stayed awake with me.
If anyone has any questions,please feel free to PM me

Pregnancy Ticker
MMC- 11/2013 @ 9 weeks

Re: My Cytotec(misoprostol) story

• I'm so sorry for your loss and this horrible experience. I really hope you feel better emotionally and physically very soon. I had a D&C yesterday and honestly after reading these horror stories, I'm so glad I went that route. My doctor was trying to convince me to do meds instead, but after all these terrible stories, I'm surprised meds are even an option. Losing a baby is hard enough without going thru this horrible ordeal. I haven't heard one positive about taking the meds over a D&C. I had no physical pain, no sickness and over all, I'm feeling much better than I feel like I should after losing a baby. Good luck, honey.
  •  800 mg seems like a lot-I was prescribed 400 mg which I used yesterday, and I don't think my pain was nearly as intense. I used a heating pad, and took one dose of regular tylenol. I did bleed quite a lot (I always do and I have heavy periods too) but didn't vomit. I wonder why your doc prescribed such a high dose?
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry for your loss. I took misoprostol for my first mc - a mmc at 10w. My experience was very similar to yours. Totally awful. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Do you have a follow up with your ob? I hope you have some time to just relax this weekend. ((Hugs))

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 5/19/2013. MC 7/2/2013 (9w6d) with est. loss at 8w. Miso 7/3/2013 and emergency D & C 7/6/2013.

BFP#2 11/6/2013.  CP 11/14/2013.  

BFP #3 12/13/2013.  Beta #1 @ 15dpo- 239. Progesterone 27.  Beta #2 @17dpo - 90.  CP 12/21/2013

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  -Philippians 4:6-7

All PgAL and PAL welcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"