Babies: 0 - 3 Months

3 week growth spurt?

I believe my 3 week old son is going through a growth spurt. He is breastfeeding almost every hour during the day and every two hours at night. Usually between 9 pm -12 am he will feed non stop and get fussy at the breast. This has been going on for the pass  5-6 days off and on some days are better than others. I know he is getting enough milk because he is wetting and dirtying more than enough diapers a day. I would like to hear from other mothers who may have went through this and how long it typically can last. I feel like I am at my wits end here. Also wondering if there are any signs that the growth spurt should soon be over with?? or could this not even be a growth spurt and something more serious??? any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance! 

Re: 3 week growth spurt?

• OK, nice to hear that it does sound like a growth spurt gives me some peace of mind :-) thanks for replying! 
  • My advice: Call your pedi. Not super helpful, but it is a smart choice.

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• Loading the player...
  • Mine went through a growth spurt at 3 weeks. How long is he feeding for? Make sure he is getting full feedings and not just snacking.
  • My DD went through a growth spurt for what felt like 2 weeks. One day she just stopped nursing so much. My advice is to have a bedtime routine, even if it is just for you. This helped me sleep better for the short amount of times that I could sleep. Also, if your LO seems satisfied, give him to someone so you can take a nap. Water is also awesome to keep you going and feeling well. Ever since the first, my daughter has been a way happier baby and her second growth spurt was shorter. Remind yourself that this will soon end. Lower your expectations and realize that this is your life at the moment. It's tough, but thinking of these things truly helped me on our toughest days. 
    You were made for this! Literally :)
    imageimageimage

• He has been feeding for roughly 30-40 mins at a time (I usually try not to watch the clock while feeding him). I usually let him pull himself off try to burp him and diaper change and offer my breast again sometimes he will take it sometimes he won't. We have started a bedtime routine the last couple of nights and I found that has helped. He actually slept for 3 hours last night which has been the longest stretch since the growth spurt has started. He was not so fussy last night either and this morning. His feedings today actually went a bit shorter to roughly 20 mins, so I am thinking he is starting to come out of it. I've been keeping up on my water and my hubby has been great when he gets home from work he will take our son so I can have some me time like take a shower or just a quick nap as well as he makes me supper. How I love that man :-) thanks ladies for the support and advice its nice to know of other mothers who have went through this before.  
  • Definitely sounds like a growth spurt and no reason to call your pedi. 

With DD1 they easily lasted a week or two. DD2? Barely even noticed it. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My son is 4wks today, and we went through the same thing during the last week. Everyone is different and some people might not consider this an option, but I pump before bed and once in the MOTN and my fiance will give him two bottles 11p/1a feedings at this time he offered him 3-4oz, usually over the course of an hour. My son would take it and then sleep for 4 -5 hours stretch. This literally saves my sanity. We used the medalla bottles and slow flow nipples.. and my son as no problem coming back to the boob in the morning. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"