April 2013 Moms
Options

Anyone else's LO losing wieght?

You may recall my pediatrician was concerned about a mild weight loss at LO's 6M appt.   It was only about 1/2 lb but for her height it made her fall really low on the growth chart.   Since then we have been giving LO 2-3 bottles of formula a day (on top of me nursing all day) and feeding her a lot of solids including purees, oatmeal, pasta, cheese, fruit, veggies, little meat and really anything I make that she can eat. 

So we went back today for our 2nd flu shot and weight check and she dropped another 1/2lb.  

I expected her to thin out with the crawling and activity that she does now but this seems like too much.   We even dropped back down a size in diapers because they were starting to leak.

We have to go back in two weeks and if there is no change then doctor wants to do a full panel of bloodwork and some scans.   Just wondering if anyone is going through anything similar. 

FWIW today she's 28in and 15.02oz.  

Re: Anyone else's LO losing wieght?

• Options
    We are going back for my daughter's second flu vaccine on Monday and I'm going to make sure they weigh her. DD has been 75th-90th percentiles for height since birth. Her weight however was 75th, 50th, 50th, 25th and at her 6 month she was down to 5-10th. She only gained a pound but got taller. The doctor was concerned but said we would see what things were like at her next appt. She weighed 12lbs 13.5oz at her 6 month appt. I weighed her at home recently (not sure how accurate it is) at about 15 lbs so I'm hoping she has gained at least some weight since we have been there. Her diapers are always wet and she seems happy and is meeting milestones.

Please post what you find out. I am definitely concerned about my DD as well and have been trying so hard to fatten her up. I hope everything is ok with your LO.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No advice just empathy because I'm sure this must be very stressful. I would just get the bloodwork now. The most likely explanation is that LO is settling into her natural weight percentage... but the fact that she is still losing weight definitely justifies a little work up. Hang in there and I hope LO starts packing on the pounds!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went back for Brayden's flu shot & he didn't lose weight but he isn't gaining either.  His pediatrician said it could be because he is noticeably getting longer but to make sure he is eating well.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

One of the girls lost weight recently, but she was sick and definitely not eating like she should.  She now looks much thinner in the face than her sister, even though she's started eating again.  I'm hoping she's gaining again, but I can't tell.  She's definitiely much lighter than her sister now. 

I hope baby girl is okay, and there is some weight gain in a couple weeks!  Maybe it is all the extra exercise she's getting.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    My daughter seems to always be gaining weight. But with my son, his weight always seems to be fluctuating, even when he was a baby. He didn't gain an ounce between 18 and 24 months, for example, and then suddenly gained 4 pounds. And there were definitely times when I remember him losing weight, but he eventually gained it back.

I would definitely get the tests done for peace of mind, but I don't think a one pound loss around when baby is starting to be mobile is overly alarming.
  • Options
    My LO has always been in the bottom 5%ile for weight, and didn't double his birth weight by 6mos. If your doc is like ours, he'll order a number of tests (urine, blood, sweat, etc.) to check if there is an underlying cause. The testing can be frustrating (especially if you have a healthy, happy baby and nothing seems to be wrong), but best to check anyway. Hopefully your LO will get those pounds back soon. Good luck! I know how you feel.
  • Options
    My LO hasn't lost weight, but at the last appointment he did drop in the percentile. So, we are going back for a weight check next week. I know I have been crazy about nursing as often as LO will allow, and feeding purees whenever I can. I know how stressful/confusing/frustrating it is!

I don't really have much advice because it sounds like you are doing everything I would do. I hope she starts gaining soon, and if you have to go through all the tests that everything goes smoothly. Best of luck!

Lucas 3.5.11
    Tyler 4.23.13
  • Options
    Logan lost 7 ounces in two weeks and I had been feeding him every two hours on top of solids. So for the last month I pretty much stuffed the poor kid, like you did, and he gained a pound. He isn't crawling yet, so I'm kinda worried he will thin out again soon. :(
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    I also wanted to add that my LC wasn't worried at all. He has been low on the charts since he was born, and still has some fat here and there, so he's not unhealthy.

When I weighed him, he was due for a feeding and had just pooped. That could be most of the loss we experienced right there. Don't stress about it too much. :)
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    My little guy has always been low on the charts. He was like the 8% for weight and 11% for height. My dr isn't concerned because he does gain but he just doesn't gain a lot. We went for his 6 month and he was 13.9 then for the flue shot a week later and he was 14.2 We go back the 15th for the second flu shot. The crazy thing is he eats like crazy!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"