Stay at Home Moms

Gifts for preschool teachers

Okay people, this is our first year in school. What do I give as holiday gifts? Cash? Gift card? How much? Same amount for the teacher and assistant teacher?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gifts for preschool teachers

• edited November 2013
    My sons classroom has three teachers. I'm getting them each a card that ds will sign and $10 dunkin donuts gift cards.
  • GC. My kids only have one classroom teacher this year they will get $25 each. Starbucks for Js teacher and target for Es. The art, music and PE will get $10 GCs haven't decided where yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am not giving cash this year to our formal preschool. I am to our @ home daycare provider though, she looks after my youngest. 

There are four girls at our preschool and I am giving them each a candle from BBW, shea infused socks from BBW and a nail polish. All the girls are under 25 and I wanted to show a little extra thought for them. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Last year we did gift bags with little things - small scented candle (I like the Glade holiday ones), small bottle of lotion (like $2-3 at Bath and Body Works), cute little notepad (I got these from the $1 bin at Michaels) plus a card made by Lydia with a Target gift card inside. I'll do something similar this year.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I am not giving cash this year to our formal preschool. I am to our @ home daycare provider though, she looks after my youngest. 

There are four girls at our preschool and I am giving them each a candle from BBW, shea infused socks from BBW and a nail polish. All the girls are under 25 and I wanted to show a little extra thought for them. 
    Honestly most teachers would like less thought and more GC. It sounds like you spent at least $10 on each teacher why not just give them a $10 GC with a nice note instead?
  • KateMW said:
    Whatever I do, I do equal for every teacher. So crayon wreaths for all!

I hate you. Send me one so I can take a hair dryer to it and make art!
  • KateMW said:
    I really like this idea but I think it would be more personal if you include your DD's handprints somehow, maybe in the middle?
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • AimeeL85 said:
    KateMW said:
    I really like this idea but I think it would be more personal if you include your DD's handprints somehow, maybe in the middle?

Or a picture if her too. Don't forget the lotion every teacher loves lotion.
  • I ordered 3 of these these - they came today, and are adorable! I had her change it to Nursery School and had them personalized.
    I plan to put some peppermint bark in the package and a gift card to DD or Starbucks.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/162081960/teacher-gift-i-teach-preschool-whats?ref=shop_home_feat

Next time skip the apple cup and add it to the GC.

• I always do Target Gift Cards.  25 to DS teacher, 15-20 for his 2 class aides, speech therapist and OT.  We also give a GC to his bus driver.  

April 2009
  • I THINK I've got it...we're going to do crayon wreaths, but the crayons are actually going to be made of cookies...BEST of both worlds.
  • I've known people to give wine. 

Usually when people do a big gift card/collect money, I think that's supposed to be the only gift given. But it's up to you.
  • I ordered 3 of these these - they came today, and are adorable! I had her change it to Nursery School and had them personalized.
    I plan to put some peppermint bark in the package and a gift card to DD or Starbucks.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/162081960/teacher-gift-i-teach-preschool-whats?ref=shop_home_feat
    Not all teachers just want money/gift cards.  These are cute.  My SIL is a teacher and her students know her and her personality and always get her things that she loves.  Actual gifts, not just gift cards. 
  • I was a teacher before becoming a SAHM.  I rarely got gift cards.  I got more personal gifts like the cups.

Yes because every teacher needs 25 teaching is my superpower cups.
  • MamaKct said:

I ordered 3 of these these - they came today, and are adorable! I had her change it to Nursery School and had them personalized.

Not all teachers just want money/gift cards.  These are cute.  My SIL is a teacher and her students know her and her personality and always get her things that she
    loves.  Actual gifts, not just gift cards. 

Your SIL is lying.

• Wow - Didn't realize my gift was going to be flamed.  Sorry - I thought they were cute.

They are cute. So are kittens but I would never give a teacher one.
  • Teacher here. Gift cards are always nice.  I have severe allergies and tend to re-gift candles, soaps, lotions, etc.  I did get an apron one year with my name embroidered on it that was super cute! I never used it, but still, super cute!  And one mom made me an adorable hanging thing for my classroom door that had my name on it.  I loved it so much that I redid the name when I got married so I could keep using it.  I think the best gifts are just nice letters from parents though.  A thank you letter is savored and kept forever.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • amy052006 said:

Real question time.

I saw DS1's teacher drinking white wine at the latest HSA fundraiser. Is wine an appropriate holiday gift for a pre-school teacher?

Also!

The class parent does a collection for a big gift.  But I assume that means we also give a gift on our own, right?
    I am the "support parent" for Lydia's class. All of the parents are donating $3 toward gift cards for the two teachers. I still plan to get them each a gift.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I was a teacher before becoming a SAHM.  I rarely got gift cards.  I got more personal gifts like the cups.
    Is that why you quit?
    How is something made by another person and sold on Etsy personal?
  • My preschool simplifies things. We are asked to contribute x amount to the pto at the beginning of the year and they use the money for holiday and end of year gifts for teachers. The school actually requests that families don't do other gifts. Nice and simple!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This is a joke right? To get the Bump ladies all fired up? Right?

• I say just get what you want to give them and screw what everyone else thinks!  As someone who doesn't like Starbucks and is allergic to most lotions, I would personally not like those gifts.  Sometimes you have to just go with "it's the thought that counts" whether it's a homemade craft that the kids helped with or something that's not your personal taste.  Regift or toss if you don't like or want it.
  • amy052006 said:
    Real question time.

I saw DS1's teacher drinking white wine at the latest HSA fundraiser. Is wine an appropriate holiday gift for a pre-school teacher?

Also!

The class parent does a collection for a big gift.  But I assume that means we also give a gift on our own, right?

DH wants to give beer. DS's teacher is a younger guy and he and DH had a random conversation recently about the local microbreweries.

• Kim&Jim said:
    I say just get what you want to give them and screw what everyone else thinks!  As someone who doesn't like Starbucks and is allergic to most lotions, I would personally not like those gifts.  Sometimes you have to just go with "it's the thought that counts" whether it's a homemade craft that the kids helped with or something that's not your personal taste.  Regift or toss if you don't like or want it.

it's only the thought that counts when you are actually thinking about the other person while buying a gift. The majority of teacher crap I see is shit that the poster though was cute, not something the teacher would actually like. It's like me buying my DD those super cute skinny jeans when I know she hates jeans.
  • toadstooltoadstool member
    edited November 2013
    We are just giving $25 gift cards. I haven't decided where but I might do target. I do think that the teachers appreciate a cute gift but due to the volume of mugs, baked goods, personalized items etc., that they receive, those gifts can lose their luster really fast. In the end I think they like gift cards best and that is a gift that will not end up collecting dust and eventually given to goodwill in a box full of similar items. ETA- In DD's class there is one lead teacher and 2 assistant teachers. I think it's fair to give equally to all three.
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • QueSyrah said:
    amy052006 said:
    Real question time.

Also!

DH wants to give beer. DS's teacher is a younger guy and he and DH had a random conversation recently about the local microbreweries.

Love this idea. I a, giving DDs teacher her gift card attached to Pom martini mix because I saw her drinking one when I was out one time.
  • Hahaha omg I just read the UO thread. Good day to post this I guess

• I give them Visa Gift Cards.
  • Yes!! Teachers appreciate gift cards!! My mom is a teacher and unless you want it to end up at goodwill or a closet give a gift card! She did get a scentsy and it was used but gift cards rock!
  • My mom and I are both teachers. Her school used to do a white elephant gift exchange every year. One year a veteran teacher wrapped a box full of teacher mugs she had acquired over the years.

I am a high school teacher in a low income urban school. I don't usually get anything but I appreciate whatever I get. While I appreciate it, I don't eat handmade treats and I put lotion out in the room for general use. Most teachers I know don't wear perfume or scented lotion in case a student is sensitive to the smells.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Hav=Fath said:

Wow - Didn't realize my gift was going to be flamed.  Sorry - I thought they were cute.

I think your gift is adorable, but the majority of the ladies here feel very strongly that the only acceptable gifts to teachers are money/GC's, but I don't think they speak for all teachers.

I honestly just think they are tacky.
  • I know this thread was originally about preschool teachers, but does all this apply to kindergarten as well? This is our first year in any school and I'd like to give a gift card. I just don't want to look like a freak if that's not something people do once you hit public school.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• JenS2203 said:

I know this thread was originally about preschool teachers, but does all this apply to kindergarten as well? This is our first year in any school and I'd like to give a gift card. I just don't want to look like a freak if that's not something people do once you hit public school.

Yes this especially applies to elem school.
  • The few times I have gotten a gift card it was $5 to Starbucks.... Seriously made my day! I rarely get Starbucks so to have free coffee is awesome!

@jens2203 Gift cards are still acceptable and appreciated!

Dd has one main teacher but will spend time with the other teachers at the beginning and end of the day. I was thinking a $25 gift card to target for the main teacher and $5 to Starbucks for the others.

• Hav=Fath said:

Wow - Didn't realize my gift was going to be flamed.  Sorry - I thought they were cute.

I think your gift is adorable, but the majority of the ladies here feel very strongly that the only acceptable gifts to teachers are money/GC's, but I don't think they speak for all teachers.

How are they adorable and since when are teachers superheroes?
  • My quandary is that DS has eleventy billion aides in his room. There is a main teacher and a main aide but they also have students and floaters who are in there at various times. I don't know all their names or even how many there are all together. Do I buy those people gift cards?

• joirish said:

My quandary is that DS has eleventy billion aides in his room. There is a main teacher and a main aide but they also have students and floaters who are in there at various times. I don't know all their names or even how many there are all together. Do I buy those people gift cards?

I would do gift cards for the two main people and a fruit tray or bagels to be shared by all with a "Merry Christmas from little jorish!" card

• lexusolsenlexusolsen member
    edited November 2013
    Bump burp

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"