Adoption
Options

Ads for Adoption Agencies on this Site

I rarely pay attention to the ads on this site, but the other day, something caught my eye, and I looked closer.  It was an ad for a crisis center for pregnant women.  I'm pretty sure the crisis center was one run by an adoption agency.  It made me very uncomfortable, given the nature of this forum, and how try to we support all members of the triad, and support expectant mothers regardless of what choice they make.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Has this been a thing for a while now, and I'm just noticing?  I haven't seen the ad since.

Am I the only one who would be uncomfortable if adoption agencies started advertising here?  I fully understand this is a free website and that the bump has to get revenue somehow, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to request that they refrain from having adoption agency ads on this forum.

Am I alone in this?  If I am, I'll drop it, but in not, I don't think it would hurt to ask them to avoid that kind of advertising on a site that has turned into a safe haven for women seeking support during on of the most difficult times in their lives.

Re: Ads for Adoption Agencies on this Site

• Options
    I think the ads are specified to what your cookies in your computer are... My ads right now are for Skippy Peanut Butter (and how to get the coupons) and Pottery Barn... Yup, I've searched for those things/been to their websites lately. 

But I agree, if it were for an agency etc. I would be uncomfortable with it! I would contact the Bump people and see what they say! 
    Began the Adoption process 4/2013
    Home study Approved 12/2013
    .... and the wait begins! 

• Options
    Dr.LorettaDr.Loretta member
    edited November 2013
    I haven't noticed an ad like that, but yes, I would ask TB to drop it if it happened. But given the drama over the Pampers board, I wouldn't get my hopes up
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I do think it's based on recent searches on your computer. Unfortunately, that means an Emom would gets ads anywhere she goes online even if she decided to parent, or a PAP who doesn't want to be reminded during the wait. I clear my cookies out and it helps.
    Birthmom to A, 1/8- the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao-Tzu

• Options
    Okay, thanks. I didn't realize the bump used personalized ads. I thought they were more selective.
  • Options
    I think it's completely creepy, though... That they're "watching" you ;)

Couldn't hurt to contact TB and ask, though.
    Birthmom to A, 1/8- the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao-Tzu

• Options
    IdigDirtIdigDirt member
    edited November 2013
    Duplicate
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am on mobile so don't know how the site has changed. I think now it is related to what you search but it used to be sponsors. Purina had an add on the side of the pets board and we caused enough of a fuss and I think it was removed (pets group hates purina). I don't know if any of you are on adoption.com but they constantly have adds that say "take home a baby today!" Those offend me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yup. It's personalized.  Mine right now are for Elfster and some random baby products. When I was researching agencies, I would read the expectant parent parts of websites as well as the adoptive, and I'd wind up getting ads as if I were an expectant mom thinking about placement and an adoptive mom waiting.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Just in the past minute while reading posts on thus board I've seen an ad for parents looking to learn about adoption and one for pregnant women who might be seeking help or looking into adoption. I'm not sure how I feel about it all, honestly.
  • Options
    Hmmm I've had one for United Airways credit card and David's bridal.  Both are things that I've looked at in the recent past.  It always creeps me out that they are "watching" you.  I might have to start using incognito pages....

****SIGGY WARNING****

Hashimoto's with irregular cycles  DH- 37 Severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia

TTC since May 2012

HSG- all clear

March 2014 - RE appt. 
    April 2014- Saline sono all's good, terrible SA results - 8 sperm found all abnormal
    May 2014- Fert Urology- Bilateral varicoceles, recommend Donor Sperm
    12/2014-  Surprise natural BFP  EDD 7/31/15 Plan:  Starting foster to adoption, natural cycles

• Options
    I still get ads for maternity clothes and FB ads asking if I am "expecting." Creepy.

Started TTC July 2012. Missed m/c & d&c 9/12 11w. Natural m/c 1/13 6w. Chemical pgs 3/13 & 8/13 around 4w. Currently TTA while saving for adoption.

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” -Helen Keller
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"