Baby Names

Opinions on the name Noa for a girl

We're expecting baby girl #3 and our first two girls have three letter names.  Our last name is long so that's why we went with a short name for #1.  Then we just happened to name #2 after a family member who passed which is a three letter name.  So now we want another 3 letter name to go along with her big sisters.

We're thinking Noa.  Like Noah.  Is the spelling too odd?  Thoughts?

Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Opinions on the name Noa for a girl

• Noa is the feminine form of Noah, so if it's for a girl, I would spell it the way you're planning.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/noa-1

https://www.behindthename.com/name/noa-2

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• FYI--The second link is for the Japanese Noa, not the Hebrew Noa.

• Loading the player...
  • Not really a fan.  It's masculine to me.  How about Nia?
  • I don't care for Noa for a girl, but I have a Noah, so I do love the name for a boy. What are your other daughters names? What about Eve, Ada, Jan, Mae, Joy, Lia or  Ivy?
    Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• I know this is a legit Hebrew female variant, but I just don't like the sound of "Noah" on a girl. I'd also find the name a little odd on someone with no Jewish heritage, since Jewish people are really the only ones who use the female version of Noah.
    I agree.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Don't care for Noa as a girl name. How about:  Liv, Zoe. Mya, or Ivy ?

I like the suggestion of Eve too.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14

• I like the suggestion of Eve too.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Eve.

• I know this is a legit Hebrew female variant, but I just don't like the sound of "Noah" on a girl. I'd also find the name a little odd on someone with no Jewish heritage, since Jewish people are really the only ones who use the female version of Noah.
    I agree.
    Me too. Like in the 'ethnic names' post, this is one name I'd find odd on someone who wasn't Jewish. If you're not, there are lots of other 3 letter names. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Love it! I have a 14 year old niece named Noa!
  • A friend's daughter is named Noah.  But I think spelling is Noa would be nice too.
    Married 4-26-2011  Me 31 DH 28  
    TTC since 12/2011  
    5/4/13-IUI #1=BFN,  6/3/13-IUI #2=BFN, 7/1/2013-IUI #3=BFP!!!
    Little Man arrived 3/28/14 at 10:32pm
    9 lb 1 oz & 21 3/4 inches

• Nope... There are so many feminine 3 letter names Ada, Ali, Amy, Ann, Bee, Dee, etc
  • Amy, Ana, Fay, Meg, Zoe.
    Noa/Noah just sounds wrong on a girl to me.
  • edited November 2013
    Not really a fan.  It's masculine to me.  How about Nia?

This. I love Nia!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Not a fan.  Loving the suggestions of Ivy, Eve, Lia and Zoe!

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• I kind of like it now that I know it's a legit name after reading PPs, but people in general probably won't know it's an actual name, and might think you're trying to be youneek. It really could grow on me though!

I like Ivy, Nia, Eve, and Zoe as well. :) I have no other names to add. Sorry.
  • Okay, I love Noa to pieces, so let me clear something up.  Despite what BTN says, it is NOT a female version of the male Noah.

Noa is a female name in its own right - it has a different meaning than the masculine name Noah because they are derived from two different words. (And actually have opposite meanings.  Noa comes from a word meaning movement, Noah comes from a word meaning rest.)  In fact, although we pronounce them the same in English thanks to translators, they are not spelled or pronounced the same in Hebrew.  (Noa is pronounced the same as we pronounce the male name, however Noah should actually be pronounced "No-awk")

All that being said, Noa is a complete guilty pleasure name for me.  I love when other people use it (there's a girl in my son's preschool class with that name) but I wouldn't use it myself just because people are so unfamiliar with it as a girl's name.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Okay, I love Noa to pieces, so let me clear something up.  Despite what BTN says, it is NOT a female version of the male Noah.

Noa is a female name in its own right - it has a different meaning than the masculine name Noah because they are derived from two different words. (And actually have opposite meanings.  Noa comes from a word meaning movement, Noah comes from a word meaning rest.)  In fact, although we pronounce them the same in English thanks to translators, they are not spelled or pronounced the same in Hebrew.  (Noa is pronounced the same as we pronounce the male name, however Noah should actually be pronounced "No-awk")

All that being said, Noa is a complete guilty pleasure name for me.  I love when other people use it (there's a girl in my son's preschool class with that name) but I wouldn't use it myself just because people are so unfamiliar with it as a girl's name.

This is all really interesting! I didn't realize they had different etymologies (or that Noah should actually be pronounced differently).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a fan.  I had a friend in h.s. with this name and I always thought it was nice and really suited her.
  • Hi Ladies!  Thanks so much for the responses!  We're not Jewish and I had no idea that this was a Jewish name but I don't think that matters to us.  The more I say the name, the more I like it.  So yeah, it's growing on me.   
    Do you think it's odd to have a Jewish name if we're not Jewish?

Our other DD's are Ava and Lia, so needless to say Nia is out.  And Eve and Eva are too close to Ava.

Any other opinions on Noa are welcome as well as other name suggestions.  This is the latest in a pregnancy that I have not had a name and it's totally stressing me out!  lol
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I do not like Noa for a girl name at all. I only think of Noah as a boy. Other 3-letter girl name suggestions:
    Mya
    Zoe
    Liv
    Kay
    Kim
    Liz
    Lux
    Meg
    Amy
    Ana
  • I think it its the cutest name. Most people originally associate it as a boy name because that's what were used to. But the fact that its a legit girl name makes it that much better. And i think it goes great with your daughters names
  • Love it. Goes great with your other kids names
  • I Noa. I don't think its weird to use a Jewish name when you are not Jewish. Ava, Lia and Noa all sound great to me. I also like Ida.

Una
    Zoa
    Ina
    Ena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"