Babies: 3 - 6 Months

If you put rice cereal in bottle...

Ok I know this is not generally recommended and I have not been a big fan of the idea in the past, but DS's pedi actually brought it up at his last appointment as an option for us.  He has a mild case of reflux, was medicated for the first few months, but we have now weaned him off and he's doing fine. Problem is he still wakes up a lot at night and is almost always waking because he's hungry.  i.e. he will not go back to sleep until he gets a bottle and he has no problem finishing it.  He is 4.5 months old. He has NEVER slept through the night. We would like to try the rice cereal in his bedtime bottle.  Question is, what kind of nipple should we use?  Do we have to cut the hole bigger?  Is a fast flow nipple ok?  We use both slow and fast flow Playtex latex nipples.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: If you put rice cereal in bottle...

• We were recommended by DS's pedi to do this because he was spitting up a ton! We use the platytex fast flow nipple and have had no problems. We were told to add 1 teaspoonful to every 2 ounces. It has helped tremendously!!
  • Loading the player...
  • edited November 2013

I put Rice Krispies in her bottle. That's ok right?

No. Please DONT do this. Feed your babe. Get another pedi.

Try Rice Krispie Treats, they like the extra sugar. 

I like you.

Edit: because my iPhone doesn't know how to spell ;)

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • My baby likes chocolate syrup in her bottle. Chocolate formula.

Don't forget the chocolate chips for the double chocolate.

imageimageimageimage

Regular size or the minis? Mini's will probably squeeze through the nipple easier.

• Holy crap. That is all. 

Regular size or the minis? Mini's will probably squeeze through the nipple easier.

I just crush up the jumbo sized ones. I like to really fill her up.

May as well go balls to the walls with it!
    imageimageimageimage

• edited November 2013

My baby likes chocolate syrup in her bottle. Chocolate formula.

May as well go balls to the walls with it!

I figure more is always better, right?

• I do NOT advocate adding rice cereal to a baby's bottle to help them sleep... AT ALL.

HOWEVER - If you want to try an AR-Formula, such as made by Enfamil (the AR stands for "added rice" or "acid reflux,") I can understand trying one of these formulas to avoid giving an actual medication for acid reflux if the reflux is mild. The rice starch added to this formula is MUCH smaller than in cereal, is easier to digested, is a lower risk of choking hazard and is just there to make the formula a little thicker to help it not go up baby's esophagus during a GERD episode.

If you are just giving cereal to the baby to sleep better than you are a poop-head and should put on a flame suit. Babies are supposed to wake up several times a night. Mine wakes up at 11, 1, 3, 5 and for the day at 7. It sucks but whateves. It doesn't last forever.

• I put Rice Krispies in her bottle. That's ok right?

No. Please DONT do this. Feed your babe. Get another pedi.

But trix are for kids!

On a serious note, please don't give your baby cereal just so you can get a good nights sleep.

• Is it 1982?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MILLIONS of people have gotten cereal put in their bottle and are STILL alive! It's not the end of the freaking world people!
  • Because it's not a death sentence. You people who don't agree act like this woman has beaten,raped, or severely mistreated a child. Cereal in a bottle is not going to kill them!!!! Oh, and it doesn't? So that's why my baby went from waking up every 2 hours at night to now about every 6,7,8? guess that's just what you call a miracle! It had nothing to do with the cereal. I'm sure all of you are the perfect parent! Maybe you will get an award for it one day. Oh and btw, your article is from a blogger who writes health articles and is a mom. If you want to fight about this topic, at least get a legit source from a pedi or MD to post.
  • And I'm SURE you have NEVER eaten any junk food/fast food/ fattening thing in your life!! Don't EVER give your child a cookie or a piece of candy because ohhh shit! That's not good for them and could lead to being overweight. Oh NO!!!!!!! It would be the apocalypse
  • Ps
    Some of you ladies Please get your panties out a bunch! Geez!
  • MrsMuq said:

Hahdjdken said:

And I'm SURE you have NEVER eaten any junk food/fast food/ fattening thing in your life!! Don't EVER give your child a cookie or a piece of candy because ohhh shit! That's not good for them and could lead to being overweight. Oh NO!!!!!!! It would be the apocalypse

FFS - Really? you would feed a 4mo a cookie? Do you understand that babies grow and develop the most in the first year of life? Why the fuck would you feed your infant nutrition-less fluff when you could give them BM or formula?

Obviously it hasn't hurt millions of Americans that got it in their bottle. Like I said it's not the end of the world. Some People still put cereal in their babys bottle and will continue to do so no matter what anyone says. Get over it!
  • I didn't even know that rice cereal in bottles was a thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yay! I love that A13 owned this Shiz. Your baby needs food. Not a fake full belly and a full nights rest. Your baby needs you to suck it up, and feed your baby. They can't feed themselves they are completely dependent on you.
  • Sounds like hahdjjendgj whatever the fluck her name is is also more concerned about getting sleep than properly feeding her child.

The source of everyone's negativity towards rice cereal in a bottle comes from the fact that OP is aware her INFANT is waking up because he's hungry but is more concerned about filling him up so she can go back to sleep.

You are an asshat.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Lurker here. Just had to add that I am one of the millions of Americans who survived sleeping on my tummy and did not subcomb to SIDS.

Sooooo, even though back sleeping has slashed the SIDS rates in half it must be ok to place my baby on his tummy to sleep because millions of Americans survived it?

Really? You want to make an arguement for introducing a known choking hazard to an infant for the sake of mom's sleep and that's the best you have?
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OP didn't ask if she should give the rice cereal, she asked how to do it safely. I personally thinks it's ridiculous that posters are being so judgemental and harsh on someone because they feel OP is lazy and feeding her child crap. Sleep is actually incredibly important for a person's mental health. A depressed, manic, or unstable mom would be more harmful to a child than a less nutritious diet. Maybe it's not the majority choice, or what you would do, but it seems valid to me.

I sure hope the moms who are making fun of OP calling her a bad mom are never planning on letting their kids eat high fructose corn syrup, use their electronic or doing anything else that eases the burden on mom but doesn't help their child.
  • From what I'm reading (Healthy Sleep Habbits, Happy Child) it basically says that how long your baby sleeps is way more developmental than having to do with hunger. This comes from studies that including babies that are fed constantly through and IV (ie never hungry) and still don't sleep through the night. Not to say babies don't wake up if they are hungry. They do. But loading them up before bed (with more imilk, formula or cereal) will likely not make them sleep longer. Now does everyone know someone that did _____ with their baby and the baby slept through the night. Sure we all hear that, but the baby still had to be developmentally ready to sleep that long and be able to put themselves back to sleep if they woke up for whatever reason (other than true hunger).
    Trying for #2 since November 2015

DS #1 - 7/25/13

• My first DD had reflux and our doctor had us use rice cereal and it worked for her (1 Tbsp for every 2 ounces & we used a Y-cut nipple). She didn't sleep through the night every night but her reflux got better (without the use of medication). Our second DD is almost 4 months old and we have been dealing with severe reflux since she was 3 weeks old. We had her on Similac Alimentum and Zantac to help. She would do better for about two weeks and then need her medication increased and until that increase got into her system she was miserable. We just started her on the Similac Spit-Up formula that has Rice Starch in it because she is at the maximum dose for her medication and she is still having severe reflux symptoms. So far she is doing much better. I would love for her not to have to take the medication anymore. She sleeps through the night maybe one day a week but that's about all. Some babies sleep better than others. DD2 doesn't sleep as good as DD1 did. Is it hard getting up through the night to feed her almost every night? Yes it is but she is my miracle baby. We tried for three long years to get pregnant again and even though I would rather be in bed I am happy to get up through the night to feed her. There will be a day when your baby will sleep through the night but until then enjoy those snuggle moments. They really do grow up so fast. Perhaps you should try the formula with Rice Starch added - it may help if your baby is still dealing with reflux. Good Luck OP.
  • provwifeprovwife member
    edited November 2013

OP didn't ask if she should give the rice cereal, she asked how to do it safely. I personally thinks it's ridiculous that posters are being so judgemental and harsh on someone because they feel OP is lazy and feeding her child crap. Sleep is actually incredibly important for a person's mental health. A depressed, manic, or unstable mom would be more harmful to a child than a less nutritious diet. Maybe it's not the majority choice, or what you would do, but it seems valid to me.

I sure hope the moms who are making fun of OP calling her a bad mom are never planning on letting their kids eat high fructose corn syrup, use their electronic or doing anything else that eases the burden on mom but doesn't help their child.

All this.
    If she was asking about spoon feeding her baby rice cereal would this be such an issue? I posted something about skipping rice cereal all together and women disagreed and basically said I was looking too much into it and that rice cereal is a fine first food. While it isn't something I would choose, I don't think OP deserves to be called a bad mom or selfish because she wants sleep and/or feels it's time to increase her growing babies intake. Babies at this age CAN have cereal as well as some fruits and vegetables...some moms start their babies with chicken for that matter. Y'all are rude.
    OP, if you feel that your little one is not getting enough with just BM/formula alone anymore and you feel he is ready for solids, I would recommend spoon feeding it to him instead of putting it in his bottle. I also would recommend looking into a more nutritious first food like avocado, sweet potatoes or even bananas blended very well and mixed with BM/formula.
    I apologize for some of the responses you were given.

EDIT:
    I wanted to add that not everyone has heard that cereal isn't recommended anymore or that you should wait until 6 months for solids. This is all new suggestions. People have been doing cereal for years and her pedi recommended it, how was she suppose to know that it isn't the best choice if this is all she has heard before? Again, the rudeness was uncalled for.
    You are doing it wrong. You need to use Cocoa Puffs. That way it tastes like chocolate AND it fills up their belly so they sleep longer. DUH!

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"