Attachment Parenting
Options

Baby wearing out in the cold

How do you baby wear out in the cold months?
Does the carrier go over or under the jacket/coat?
If it goes under, then what do I do when I go to the store and have to put it on in the parking lot? I don't have the option of getting in the backseat with baby, so will I just have to be cold for a few minutes while I get all set up and then put my coat back on?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image

Re: Baby wearing out in the cold

• Options
    I'm planning to continue wearing my maternity coat as I can zip it over my middle while wearing my LOs. (I'll put the baby on, then the coat). I've seen other women just do one button or whatever they can do with their regular coat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have a seriously giant coat from last winter, so I'm planning to just zip it over both of us. They do make those cute babywearing coats, but they don't really look warm enough for real winter? I can't tell (I live in NY, FWIW, so need something warm, but not, like Canada-warm).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I guess it depends on what you use to wear him with but when my LO was tiny and it was cold, I was using my Moby and I just put it on before I got in the car at home and put my coat over it and was still able to get him in without a problem but if you aren't going to use a wrap style one, I don't think that would work.
  • Options
    I wear Dhs coat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would have the carrier on as much as possible without baby in it when you leave the house.  When you get to your destination hug baby inside your coat until you are indoors them properly secure baby in carrier. 

I learned long ago never wear baby in any carrier over a sweater or jacket.  It never fails they will fall asleep for a long nap trapping you under all those layers sweating until they finally wake so you can de-layer!

If you can't climb in back to put them in carrier under your coat (as I do) then snuggle them in your coat and secure inside.  My coat is not big enough to zip up over her so if we are outside for long then I have a folded up blanket secured over her back and tucked into my coat and a hat on her head.  Keeps us both toasty warm.  My husband is about the same size as me so his coat doesn't buy us any extra room!

• Options
    I live in Canada and I was considering buying a coat large enough for DD and I to fit into and zip up. In the meantime (before winter) I have a 7am Enfant pookie poncho that fits over the carrier.
  • Options
    I have a Mamacoat by Japanese Weekend which I love.  Also there are several different types made by Suses Kinder.  If you are semi crafty, it is supposedly really easy to make an extra panel for your current coat (using a cheap fleece jacket you cut off the front panel and stitch the sides, and then can zip that into current coat).
  • Options

Are you going to be outside for a great deal of time?   If I'm just running into the store I snuggle baby up to me with a blanket around them on the way into the store and then situate baby in carrier once we're both inside.  (They can't wear a jacket in their carseat anyways)

If we're outside for an extended period of time I put baby in their own one piece coat/suit thing. . . whatever you want to call them and then put them in the carrier.  I snap the button/zip my coat as best I can.  I figure if between the coats and both our body suits we're too cold, then we've got no business being outside for a long time.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @strawberrymom2 out of curiosity, where do you live? The mama coat doesn't look very warm (I'm searching for something I can wear out in NYC in the winter, so, temps as low as 20F, and very windy). Any sense of how heavy/warm it is? Thanks!
  • Options
    I just wore the carrier under my coat, with my coat unzipped because my kids are major heat generators.  I was plenty warm.  I got one of these pouches when it was on babysteals for a decent price and would use that when we were walking around outside in the cold.  DS loved it because it is super fuzzy and soft and warm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My plan is to wear LO using the Moby when she's itty bitty, so I'll put it on under my coat before leaving and just keep using my maternity coat around both of us. A few seconds unzipped won't kill me ;)

She's due mid-Feb so hopefully by the time she's 4-5m old and outgrown the Moby it'll be warm enough to skip coats altogether.

imageimage
  • Options
    gulickr said:

I have a seriously giant coat from last winter, so I'm planning to just zip it over both of us. They do make those cute babywearing coats, but they don't really look warm enough for real winter? I can't tell (I live in NY, FWIW, so need something warm, but not, like Canada-warm).

I am living in NYC, too. Sometimes I will wear DH coat that I can zip over the moby, or I will just wear my coat unzipped over the ergo/moby. Not my favorite option, but it's working for now. Don't know about these upcoming colder months!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"