Eco-Friendly Family

Newborn bath

I think one of my classes recommended just using water to bathe baby at first, but I am honestly not sure if that's what they said.  What did you do to get baby clean in the first few weeks? Is there an age that you switched to something else? Does anyone have any tips for making baby wash instead of buying?  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Newborn bath

• A lot of people recommend just rubbing in the vernix at first rather than bathing right away, or bathing with just water. They're not actually dirty at that point, and their bottom gets cleaned every few hours. I did use soap right away, but just a couple drops of castile soap (I like Dr Bronners in almond). I still use it for wash/shampoo for LO as well as for hand soap and body wash for everyone.

Just read the ingredients of whatever you consider-some brands, like J&J, have stuff I wouldn't even use on myself. For newborns especially, get as mild and natural a soap as possible-their skin is very sensitive.

• I also want to save money and products like Burt's Bees Baby Shampoo or Body Wash is pretty pricey! What I would do is when the bottle is half full, just add some more water. I find that you don't need as much product--so you can make the bottle last a lot longer.

Also, some natural products are good from Baby and up, so you can use it for yourself AND baby, thus eliminating the need to purchase 2 separate bottles of body wash! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Our hospital actually provided us with Earth Mama Angel Baby. We used that from the get-go (and that's what they use at the hospital too). It's castile soap based.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
  • We used Lafe's Organic Foaming Baby Shampoo & Wash which only has a handful of ingredients (reverse osmosis water, coconut oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, palm oil).  It is free of parabens, propylene glycol, pesticides, SLS, artificial preservative, artificial dyes or colors and is vegan, cruelty-free, fragrance-free and hypoallergenic.  The packaging is even BPA free too! 

Since there are so few ingredients, you could always make your own wash from these oils as well!

www.healthyhappytot.com - Healthy, non-toxic product recommendations for children from a mom who has really used them!
  • Yes, but be every careful where your palm oil is sourced. It's so hard doing the "right thing" when companies have hidden parent compainies, ingredients have different names and are not always sourced ethically. You can spend hours just reaserching.
  • i gave baby his first bath just after one week. even though his umbilical cord stump already fell off, i wanted to give him a sponge bath. used a few washcloths, warm water, and dr. bronner's mild unscented castile soap in bar form (less extra ingredient than liquid form). 
  • I haven't tried it yet, but I bought a tin of baby bath tea from a local boutique. You soak the tea bag in the bath water and can them use the bag like a washcloth on baby's skin. The ingredients include oatmeal and lavender. You could probably google baby bath tea and find a recipe.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Earth Mama Angel Baby products.  They seem pricey at first, but DD is almost 18 months and only 1/2 way through her 2nd bottle.  And we use it sometimes for her cloth wipes.

• The first couple weeks we just did water and a sponge bath.  Then we switched to actual baths but honestly we haven't found a soap we like yet so I can't recommend anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"