December 2013 Moms
Options

Being dilated...or not.

Okay so I know we're all tired of the "I'm this much dilated, is baby coming soon?" questions (my favorite quote lately has been "elf's fingertip dilated"...) but given that I'm NOT dilated at 36.5 weeks, and some mamas were 1+cm for WEEKS...any STM+ have good news that they weren't dilated for weeks on end and baby came on their own without inducing? I know I'll have this baby before Christmas, which is 11 days after my due date, as my doctor induces at 41 weeks. I would love to hear some stories of babies coming between 37-40 weeks on their own with mama being closed at 36+4 :)
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Being dilated...or not.

• Options
    I don't have a story as I'm a FTM, and I know that they say it doesn't mean anything in terms of when baby arrives, but when I go to the dr tomorrow for my first cervical check (36w 4d) if I'm not dilated I think there's a good chance I'll cry :(
  • Options
    I was about 1cm dilated a week before my firsts due date. She stripped my membranes and I went into labor a couple days before my due date.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yup at 39w5 days with my second I was barely an elf fingertip dilated and she came 2 days later. Chin up.

• Options
    My SIL had no dilation at 39 wks and had a spontaneous rupture of membranes on her due date.
  • Options
    Yes, I wasn't dilated at all at 36w, and I don't think I dilated until I went into labor at 39w. When I checked into the hospital, I think I was barely 1cm. Like an elf's finger, for sure. There's just no predicting that dilation!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I wasn't dilated and my water broke with my first at 37 weeks and I had a quick labor as a ftm-8 hours from the time my water broke to delivery.
  • Options
    I've told this before, but I was still barely a fingertip at 38w6d, but OB could tell DD was ready; she stripped/swept my membrane and DD was born the next day.

FWIW, I'm still closed right now.

photo b1f62123-e338-48e2-a2d8-373638902d4d.jpg 

• Options
    I'm still closed at 38+ weeks. I think it's a total crap shoot :) I'll also be induced no more than 3 days past my due date.

• Options
    I don't remember with ds1 but with ds2 I wasn't dilated or effaced at 36 and 37 weeks. At 38 I was 2-3cm and at 39 w I was 5. No real contractions to speak of those last 2 weeks either.
  • Options
    YES thank you ladies! So psyched to hear :) I would have asked next week at my appt, but it wasn't serious matter so I was just gonna wait it out...glad to get some confirmation that it can mean nothing just as much as it can mean something.

@cashingn2 I tried posting on HDBD after I saw what you wrote but it wouldn't work from my phone. The staff room at work has a low signal and it kept getting stuck. Glad to know my brief absence was noticed though!! :)
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

If I am remembering correctly, I think I was 2cm at 37w appt, but cannot remember if I was still 2cm or if it was up to 3cm at my 38w appt. I was up to 4cm when I went to the hospital for intense contractions at 38w 2d. DS was born 38w 3d.

Regardless of the details,  mine was over a week or 2 at the most vs weeks on end.

My 2 December boys

• Options
    At my 39 week appointment I was still closed up tight. I left the office and burst into tears. I went into labor that night. You just never know!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With my first, I went to the doctor Thursday and I was just 1cm dilated. I had the baby at 4pm next day.
  • Options
    With our first I wasn't dilated at all and my doctor said my cervix was "icky."  The gave me Cervadil on my due date but it didn't do anything.  My water broke on its own 8 days later - the same day I was scheduled to go in for an NST. 

• Options
    Labor started with my water breaking. I was still only a fingertip dilated when I went into the hospital and had him about 13 hours later (15 hrs after water broke). I was 40w2d.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    With our first I wasn't dilated at all and my doctor said my cervix was "icky."  The gave me Cervadil on my due date but it didn't do anything.  My water broke on its own 8 days later - the same day I was scheduled to go in for an NST. 
    That made me lol
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wasn't dilated at all a week before my water broke. when they check was only 2 cm and less 5 hrs later full 10cm.
  • Options
    I am 38 weeks and still only one fingertip. Really, dilating means nothing. I have a friend that was 3cm for 3 weeks, she delivered right before her due date.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh this gives me some hope. I've had 3cervix
    Checks and I'm always sealed shut. I know I'm only 38 wks but yes that last check I could feel the tears starting to form when she said nope you have not started dilating. I definitely said "shit really?" This thread def gives me hope
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"