Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

What to expect during and following a D&C

I just got the news today that I definitely miscarried. I have a blighted ovum and I'm going in for a D&C tomorrow morning. 

Obviously I'm devastated. We tried for over a year and a half to get pregnant and we've been dealing with the possibility of the loss for over a week. We wanted to be  00% sure before we moved forward with any medical intervention, but today an ultrasound showed that there is no hope. My HCG levels are starting to decline but I'm still not showing any signs of passing on my own.

I have decided to do a D&C mainly because I don't want to miscarry at home around my 3 year old, and as horrible as this is, I can't go thru this any longer. I want it to be over.

Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as the before and after? My doctor is going to use general anesthesia and I'm planning on being in and out in a couple hours. Any helpful advice?

Re: What to expect during and following a D&C

• I naturally MC and I don't blame you for not wanting to do it at home in front of the kido. I went into full labor pains and it was the worst thing I ever went through. There was no hiding it and it wasn't pretty and I ended out in the ER because of the pain. I am so sorry for your loss. I can't speak about the D&C, but I hope others chime in with some support for you. It is a confusing and emotional time, especially if you have been trying for a while. It has been two weeks for me, but I am still going through it. I think it is a process regardless of if you have a D & C or not. I wish I could have had one though and got it done quicker--keep us posted, hope all gets better soon, hang in their!!
  • jlworden710jlworden710 member
    edited November 2013
    I had a d&c a week ago. I'm so glad I chose this way... I was like you and wanted to just be done with everything! The procedure and everything went really smoothly, I hope yours goes just as smooth!

We went in, they took me back for pre op and let my husband come back for the while pre op which helped me. They ask you TONS of questions and have tons of info, took my stats then had me get in a gown. After that the nurse put in my iv, then the anesthesiologist came back and chatted with me. At that point I opted for a little calming meds as I was pretty anxious and have a history of burning meds (like Novocain and Valium due to my anxiety). Then they wheeled me in the OR, dr came, put the magic stuff in my iv and started strapping me in... Then I woke up in the post op with a diaper and heating pad (sounds worse then it is). At that point I had a little crampage, the nurse gave me some meds and a few min to make sure they didn't nauseate me and got me from a bed to a hospital chair... At that point hubby and mom came back and I finally got to eat then go home. It was relatively a pain free experience!

I didn't bleed until Saturday and Sunday (I had some minimal spotting up until then). I bled for a few days, passed 2 decent size clots (tmi, sorry) and had no bleeding today.

I would suggest having some IBuprofen on hand and a heating pad helped SO much! This procedure helped me so much emotionally.

Sorry so long, but hoped this info helped :)

ETA: SO very sorry for your loss! I have my fingers crossed you have an easy procedure and it helps you as much as it helped me!

BFP: 9/21/13 | EDD:5/31/14 | MC confirmed:11/6/13 | D&C:11/12/13
    BFP: 1/14/14 | EDD: 9/21/14 | MC confirmed: 2/3/14 | D&C: 2/4/14
    DX 3/18/14 (Complete) Septate Uterus | Resection 4/22/14
    BFP: 8/5/14 | EDD: 4/19/15
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Loading the player...
  • So sorry for your loss and good luck in the morning. I had a similar experience as the previous poster. I was taken to a pre op room where an IV was inserted and fluids were started. I then changed into a gown and played the waiting game (Dr had emergency to tend to). I was taken to the OR and began having a mini breakdown when asked to slide over to the table. The last thing I remember was being told they put something in my IV to relax me and the nurse giving me a hug. I woke up and felt good. They gave me IV pain meds and a pain pill with my dinner tray. I was so happy to have food. Bleeding was very minimal first few days and I had no pain (they prescribed me percocet and prescription ibuprofen for home). Overall physical recovery has been good and the procedure helped me move on emotionally. Had my follow up appointment a few days ago and we are cleared to try again in January. Looking forward to it.
    Me: 28 DH: 30 
    TTC-January 2013
    BFP#1--September 2013 (EDD 5/30/2014)--D&C for Missed MC @ 9 weeks 3 days
    BFP#2--August 2014 (EDD 4/30/2015) --hoping this is our rainbow!

• I'm very sorry for your loss. The other ladies summed it up pretty well. Physically I recovered very quick. I think I took ibuprofen 2 days for cramping and had spotting for about 5 days. I went hiking 4 days after my d&c. It also helped me to move forward psychologically. Wishing you all the best! *hugs*
    TTC: Since July 2013
    BFP #1: EDD 05/27/2014 (D&C 10/17/2014)
  • I am so sorry for your loss. BO suck! All the waiting and hoping....I know. Just at @jlworden710 said, my experience was the exact same. Minus the diaper and heating pad. They did a D&C with suction and I barely spotted at all. The first couple of days it was an orange-y discharge from the iodine. And seriously, I barely spotted, I only had to wear a pantyliner. I was in no pain at all, but they gave me IV meds anyway. That's all the meds I took. Friday, I will be 2 weeks post-op and still had not needed any med. The spotting stopped the very next Wednesday. I also had a BO and empty sac week after week. This went on for 9 weeks and no signs of MC on my own. I was tired of waiting and wanted everything over. It was the best thing I had done. I wish I could have done that with my other 2 losses, but those came out of no where, I didn't know I was MCing. Anyway, I really hope you are at peace and you have a fast, easy, pain free D&C and recovery!!!! Let us know how it went!

imageimageimage
    As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen - Winnie the Pooh

Married 8/22/09
    Pregnancy 1- EDD 11/21/10 NMC @ 6 weeks
    Pregnancy 2 - Rainbow DS born 1/15/11
    Pregnancy 3 - EDD 5/2/14 NMC @ 6 weeks 9/4/13
    Pregnancy 4 - EDD 6/11/14 BO @ 9 weeks D&C 11/8/13
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    WOW!!! I'm pregnant!!! BFP 6/8/14 Rainbow on the way EDD 2/14/15
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I am sorry for your loss, I had a d&c the other ladies covered what happens. They do ask a ton of questions, sometimes the same question multiple times with different people, once the prep is over the procedure is quick. My DH said it was 20 min from the time he say down to the dr talking to him. I did not bleed a whole lot right after, and no pain after the procedure. It will take a lot out of you, the emotions and all the meds they give, so be gentle with yourself. Take at least two days at home to recover before you go back to work. Also take the postoperative advice seriously no sex no tampons, bath hot tubs for two weeks. Wish you well
    BFP #1 7/25/13. MMC 8/26/13 8 weeks 5days Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP #2 11/5/13 chemical pregnancy 11/9/13 BFP #3 12/28/13 "Our HOPE baby"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"