Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Baby fights his bottle

my 4 month old regularly fights his bottle. its been going on for a while now. just wondered if anyone else was going through this.  when i go to feed him a bottle he'll push it away with his hands so i hold his hands down. then the tries to move his head/mouth away from it like he's mad at it and doesn't want it.  but once he latches onto he sometimes will start drinking it and drink the whole thing without a fight and he sometimes won't so i let it go and try again. and often he'll go for it even 1/2 hour later even though he absolutely refused it a 1/2 hour before!  sometimes it seems like he just realized that he IS hungry for it- like rooting for it really fast.  i don't know if he's just confused? or maybe he would rather be looking around/playing than eating?  i don't know.  but he'll do this all day long and then at night he's ready to get to business and eats a lot right before bed... maybe finally hungry after a day of fighting it?  For example today i nursed him before work. he probably got 4 ounces of breastmilk from me.  he has been at daycare since 7:45 this morning.  i called at 2:30 and he has only eaten 6 ounces so far and i'll bet that's all he'll take there today when i pick him up at 4:45.  doesn't seem like enough. 10 ounces in 11 hours?  he is gaining weight good. he's chubby!  is anyone else going through this?

i have not changed anything (bottles, nipples, formula, etc).  he is teething but this behavior has been going on for a long time.  i changed to faster flow nipples a while ago and that did seem to help.  maybe i need to move up to the fastest ones already? but he's only 4 months old...  

Re: Baby fights his bottle

• Options
    My LO started doing this around 3.5 months and it ended up being because of thrush. We also switched from playtex nipples to dr browns nipples because she seemed to like those better.
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • Options
    Is it a temp issue? My LO started fighting bottles a while back, and it turned out she was unhappy with semi-cold or room temp bottles. We now HAVE to warm the milk first, or she will just spit it all out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"