March 2014 Moms

Mamas with Gestational Diabetes experience

So I just got a call from my OB that they want a third ultrasound because they still didn't get the pictures they want and they want me to do my glucose test early since she is measuring so far ahead. Not that concerned about the extra ultrasound, I had three with DD, but a little worried about my glucose test. My dad and his mom both have type 2, which obviously puts me at a higher risk. Just wondering how everyone adjusted after being told they had GD and how your birth went last time.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Mamas with Gestational Diabetes experience

• I don't have any experience personally, but there are a lot of women on the high risk board with GD. They are full of all kinds of information. Good luck on your test.
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've had GD both times, it's overwhelming at first, but once you get into a routine, know what foods to have and what to avoid (highly recommend seeing the nutritionist) it's not as bad.

I won't lie, sometimes it's very hard.  I have to pack my lunch every single day, even if I splurge and eat lunch out, I still have to pack breakfast and snacks....I have to stick to a schedule and sometimes I get jealous of the women that are like "I had brownies for dinner, or I ate a whole pizza by myself".

You can still eat bad stuff in strict moderation, like we had pizza last week but I could only have 2 slices (I tend to pig out with pizza so my normal would be way more than 2) and a salad.  I cannot drink pop anymore since one can is my carb allotment for dinner, but to satisfy the craving I'll swipe a swip of MH's now and again.

I can't speak for how my birth went since I delivered so early, but my doctor never talked as if I would be induced or anything.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks @PerkyErky I posted it there too! Thank you for sharing your experience @angelsnight!
  • I'm a third time GD mom. I won't lie, it's tough sometimes. I cried for a few days after the first diagnosis, and for a day after the second. This time I just planned on having it so it wasn't such a big deal to get the diagnosis. It's especially hard around the holidays (this will be my first GD Thanksgiving and second Christmas) when everyone else is indulging and I have to be so careful. I'm also on insulin, which is not fun but not as horrible as people think, either.

Like angelsnight said, once you're in a routine it's not so bad. You learn quickly what you can/cannot handle, and you also learn how to satisfy cravings in some different ways. I still "cheat" once in a while, I'm just really careful about it. Having a great support system - family and drs - is really essential, IMO. DH has always been great, but my diabetes team with the first was terrible. Second and third have been much better, and thus a better experience over all.

As far as births, I was induced with both and expect to be again. Some moms are allowed to go naturally as late as 41w, but it depends completely on your dr and your individual circumstances. I was on insulin and with DD1, not very well controlled due to a poor care team who didn't really give a crap, so the dr wanted induction at 39w to stay ahead of any potential placenta problems. With DD2, I was on insulin but had high fluid levels and a small baby, so they recommended induction at 39w again. I consented to both after a ton of my own research and was comfortable with the decision. They were over all positive experiences, I delivered both girls vaginally, and neither had any complications. They also weren't the giant babies people associate with GD - 6lbs 11oz, and 6lbs even. This little girl is measuring perfectly at 50%, we'll see where she goes from here but I expect another itty bitty.

If you have more specific questions, ask away! And feel free to pop over to the high risk board, there is usually lots of GD chatter over there and we'll all help any way we can. Hopefully you're in the clear, but if not we'll all be here to help :)
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had GD with my first and have tested negative with #2 so far.

It really wasn't a big deal for me.  I was strictly diet controlled and could mostly eat what I wanted as long as it was a good carb/protein balance.  DD was born at 40w4d at 8lbs 9oz.  I went into labor a few hours before my scheduled induction.  Thankfully my OB really didn't make a big deal about the GD.  After I gave birth DD had to have her sugar tested once, maybe twice, as did I.  She was fine and we were never pressured to supplement with formula or anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was GD and found out I am actually Type 2 just undiagnosed (I hadn't had a blood test in 10 years prior to being pg with DD. I was a needle-phobe. Hahaha, oh the irony...).

It was hard at first. I knew I'd have to get more blood tests and would have to check my blood glucose (BG) 4x/day and honestly, it scared the crap out of me. Once I started and got used to it, I laughed at myself for being so scared. The BG checks are truly nothing to stress over!

The diet takes some adjusting, but you can do it. There are a TON of resources out there and recipes and apps that can help. I found that using My Fitness Pal is amazing when eating out or even planning at home. There is a bunch of carb counting involved in the diet and making sure the ratios are good between carbs, protein and fat. MFP has nearly everything in it that I have ever eaten. It also helps because while I can read what a package of pasta says, I do not have a kitchen scale and can't tell you what 2 g of dry pasta looks like lol. MFP has things like 1C cooked pasta, which I can easily measure.

I was induced at 39 weeks and very comfortable with that choice. I was not perfectly controlled, on insulin and would rather be safe than sorry. I did research and saw the worst that could happen if I was induced and if I waited. I decided being induced was less risky to my DD and I so I went with it. FWIW, my induction lasted a total of 8 hours and I never went on Pitocin. Not all of my friends who waited/were not high risk can say their birth went as smoothly as mine and DD was 7lbs even.

PP's advice is great! Definitely check out the High Risk Board, there is a plethora of info and some ladies to bitch to if you do find you're one of the lucky ;) Like memali26 said, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I know even though we weren't PG at the same time last go around, she was always so helpful with info as I went through my first GD/Diabetic pregnancy!
    imageimage
  • @orriskitten, you're sweet, thanks :) I had so much misinformation thrown at me the first time around I think I feel like it's my duty to educate the world, LOL.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • memali26 said:
    @orriskitten, you're sweet, thanks :) I had so much misinformation thrown at me the first time around I think I feel like it's my duty to educate the world, LOL.
    Seriously, this!! First time around I thought the birthing center set me up for failure because I had a surprise 1 hr glucose test (sugar in the urine at an appointment). I blamed them because they didn't give me a diet to follow.

Hahahahaha.
    imageimage
  • In addition to the other great suggestions you're getting here (definitely second the nutritionist idea!), I think it's important to talk with your OB about how he/she would handle a diagnosis. I had to see multiple OBs in my last pregnancy and found that attitudes differ wildly. One OB I saw (not my primary doctor) told me that he induces all his GD patients at 38 weeks. I found this alarming as lung maturation is a particular issue with GD. My doctor was fine with waiting for spontaneous labor at 40w4d. If you do get the diagnosis, talk to your doctor about how this changes the way he/she will manage your care.

Also, I'd recommend the GD section on Evidence Based Birth: https://evidencebasedbirth.com/topics/

Something that surprised me in reading the materials on that site is the fact that controlled-GD does not result in a larger than average number of "big babies". 
  • Thank you @miramirror!! Thanks to all the ladies that responded, I'm going to do my test and other blood work either tmw (Friday) or Monday. Don't see my dr until the 2nd of December, I will let you all know!
  • I had GD last pregnancy and passed my first GTT this time but honestly, I'm expecting to fail my second one!
    I was fully diet controlled - I was pretty stubborn and just ate the same things over and over that I knew wouldn't send my sugar levels up. I always have eaten multigrain toast which helped and I switched to a lot of diet products- coke zero (even though I wasn't having any caffeine before that- it was usually the only diet drink I could order if I was out).
    I felt fairly deprived but obviously you do whatever you can to keep your baby healthy.
    I was induced on my due date after having a few ultrasounds to check DS' size.
    I only had the gel for the induction and was in labour for eight hours. DS was 8lb 2oz.
    No further complications.
  • Oh and the dietician I saw forgot to tell me that if I wanted a little bit of chocolate I could have it- but only as part of a meal.
    Ill be prepared this time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"