Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

NTTGP Related: Vacation Crashers

I have a problem - and I'm wondering if it's unique to my partner and I. 

We travel frequently.  We rarely splurge on material items (it takes all my power to force myself to spend more than $100 at a time on wardrobe updates and I wait until the items I want are at the most clearance price possible, and I generally don't buy myself anything but books and iTunes).  But damn it, we will fly and we will explore.

My problem is whenever we bring up one of our trips, we invevitably get a crasher.  "Oh, I've always wanted to see Paris!" "You're going on a cruise?  I want to go on a cruise!  When are you going?" "I love Wisconsin!  I wanna come!"

I guess this happens because we set precendent.  When we were younger we'd always invite people to come with us to make it cheaper and we always had a good time.  But now that we're older and want our privacy it's less enjoyable to bring a family member and 3 friends along for the ride.  Our last trip to WI was kind of ruined because we brought a friend who fought with her husband the entire time.  So she's officially blacklisted from any travel plans from here on out.

We recently booked a cruise and I'm terrified to mention it to anyone.  Does anyone else have this problem or is it just us?  I'm not trying to be a jerk but your vacation changes when you have to accommodate other people and their preferences and schedules.  And the people who try to crash our vacations will bend their schedules to fit ours.  It drives me nuts.

Re: NTTGP Related: Vacation Crashers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a similar issue. My H is the vacation crasher you're talking about. We will have our vacation all planned out then his dad will mention a cruise or something and poof, our vacation is gone and we're going on a cruise. I finally had to tell him that this is it. I'm done taking vacations with other people. I think the only way to solve your problem is to tell people no, let them know you want to spend time together by yourselves.
  • Options
    DH and I are big travelers too.  I don't understand how others can just invite themselves along on a trip that you have planned, whether or not you have travelled with them in the past.  Just because you are sharing your plans doesn't mean it's an invitation.  If someone is gauche enough to try and join in on your trip after you tell them about it, a simple "We're looking forward to exploring xyz.  I'll let you know how it is and give you all my recommendations when we're back" should suffice.  
  • Options
    I would stop telling people your plans. If you have to tell and someone asks to tag along just say "No, this is a romantic, private getaway for us."

I don't have this problem and I find it really odd that anyone would ever ask to come along on a vacation.

• Options
    edited November 2013

We were in the planning stages of our trip to Europe and one of our friends (who has never left Indiana much less left the country) said "You've taken all the other girls on trips and I've always wanted to go.  Can I come with you to Europe?  I'll pay my own way!"

We were both stunned into silence.  We turned her down, of course, but it made us feel super awkward.  C's mom ended up coming but that was fine because she could keep up with us (actually out pace us in some regards) and she didn't want to spend every minute with us anyway.

And I wish it was as simple as saying "This is just a trip for us."  They don't seem to understand it.  These requests are from people who know us really well: either family, or friends close enough to BE family.  Like I said, in the past we'd always invite people to come along but... I just want this cruise to be about us.  We just won't talk about it at all which kinda sucks because I want to share my excitement but... It is so not worth the risk of having another person invite themselves along.  No, I'd never invite myself - but the company we keep definitely will.

Edit: syntax

• Options

::snip::

My problem is whenever we bring up one of our trips, we invevitably get a crasher.  "Oh, I've always wanted to see Paris!" "You're going on a cruise?  I want to go on a cruise!  When are you going?" "I love Wisconsin!  I wanna come!"

::snip::
    I love to travel, and every time I plan a trip, I get excited so of course I tell people about it.  There is always someone who says one of the things above.  I have never had someone actually crash my vacation.  My response is always, "Yeah, we're super excited.  You should definitely plan a trip so you can see it.  I'll be sure to show you our pics when we get back!"

Who are these people that invite themselves on other people's vacations?  How ballsy can a person be?
    imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • Options
    EmeJay said:
    "Oh you want to come to our Fuck-A-Thon trip"?

Their response: "Hey, it's totally cool if we have separate rooms!"
  • Options
    EmeJay said:

Their response: "Hey, it's totally cool if we have separate rooms!"
    Then you need to tell them a fake destination and ditch them at the airport!

Seriously - I'm out of suggestions. You either grow a pair and tell them NO or you bring them along.
  • Options
    EmeJay said:
    Our 1st anniversary trip was dubbed our sexcation....that should get rid of any crashers!  Unless they're into that sort of thing ;)
                                                  *********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would either stop telling people or just say "i'm sorry, this is something we've planned just for the two of us.  Maybe next time."

I mean, FFS, why do people need to wait for other people in order to travel?  If you want to go to Europe, go to Europe!  Don't piggyback on other people's ideas!
  • Options
    obxlaurak said:
    I would either stop telling people or just say "i'm sorry, this is something we've planned just for the two of us.  Maybe next time."

I mean, FFS, why do people need to wait for other people in order to travel?  If you want to go to Europe, go to Europe!  Don't piggyback on other people's ideas!

YES!!!!!  That's the problem, we're doers, not talkers.  And everyone who's a talker says things like "I wish I could go to Europe" and then never take any steps to make the plans.  But because we handle the logistics, it's an easy fix for them to just "tag along."  It drives me crazy.

I think the best solution is to just not say anything.  And then tell them right before.  And when they inevitably ask if they can come, we've agreed that it is an emphatic NO.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    DH and I haven't traveled much besides our honeymoon (we just got married in June and before that we were college students) but I can't imagine having this issue. Even if you have invited other people before that's still very weird for people to try and invite themselves.

Either don't tell anyone you are going until the last minute - your cruise will be just as much fun even if you don't get to share your excitement with anybody but your partner beforehand - or figure out how to flat out say "I'm sorry but no, you can't. This is a private getaway for [partner] and myself. I'll give you recommendations when I get back."
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I have a problem - and I'm wondering if it's unique to my partner and I. 

We travel frequently.  We rarely splurge on material items (it takes all my power to force myself to spend more than $100 at a time on wardrobe updates and I wait until the items I want are at the most clearance price possible, and I generally don't buy myself anything but books and iTunes).  But damn it, we will fly and we will explore.

I guess this happens because we set precendent.  When we were younger we'd always invite people to come with us to make it cheaper and we always had a good time.  But now that we're older and want our privacy it's less enjoyable to bring a family member and 3 friends along for the ride.  Our last trip to WI was kind of ruined because we brought a friend who fought with her husband the entire time.  So she's officially blacklisted from any travel plans from here on out.

We recently booked a cruise and I'm terrified to mention it to anyone.  Does anyone else have this problem or is it just us?  I'm not trying to be a jerk but your vacation changes when you have to accommodate other people and their preferences and schedules.  And the people who try to crash our vacations will bend their schedules to fit ours.  It drives me nuts.

You're going on a cruise? I wanna come! PM me the details and I will book it!!!

Ew that feel so awkward to even jokingly say! I hope you can make this a couples only trip. GL.

• Options
    I had a friend who just got married and she has a couple friend who always do this to her.  She just told me that they are crashing her honeymoon.  These people go as far as calling hotels to find out where they're staying and then book the same place.  It's crazy, but my friend doesn't seem to mind.
    I have never taken a group vacation. It's either with my parents/brother or DH.  I think it's weird to tag along to someone else's vacation.  If it's a group trip, that's one thing, but not something you're just doing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

@BlckRoses: C's mom and stepdad invited us on their honeymoon.  In Hawaii.  They said they'd put something on the door knob if we're not allowed in.

I sincerely hope they were joking.  We gently rejected the offer because... WEIRD. 

• Options
    My parents are vacation crashers. We always go on a summer vacation together, and this year DH, DS and I are going on our first winter vacation. My mom was all like "yay, send me the info and we'll see if it works for us too!" I just politely told them it was just going to be the 3 of us this time. I felt bad, but my parents are high maintenance and we're really looking forward to a low-stress vacation.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    SicheyanneSicheyanne member
    edited November 2013
    My husband's family goes on loads of trips and before he joined the military we always went with (we were always invited, lol). It always started out with the 6 of us (His parents 2 sisters and us) and then grew to almost 20 by the time we left. A lot of extended family would invite themselves. 
    After a while we just started inviting them so we knew from the start how many would come. Then their friends started inviting themselves. 
    Now we don't live near them anymore, but they come up to visit us often... and there's always a tag along or two we didn't expect. I'm normally really laid back and loved never knowing who would show up on some of the family vacations it always made things interesting. But I don't like having to find someone somewhere to sleep last minute when they visit my house. Makes me feel like a bad hostess.
    We've yet to go on any trips just the two of us (he obviously doesn't get many days off). But when we do I won't be happy about any tag alongs. We need a vacation just the two of us soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker

image imageimage
    Married Since December 1st, 2012
    BFP#1 January 21st, 2014  
    EDD September 23rd, 2014

Air Force Wife, Oboist, Book Lover
    God's timing is perfect! 

• Options
    You're going to have to be honest and set boundaries. If you feel guilty for not inviting someone you don't want to invite, you did the right thing. Love the guilt. Relish in it. Set boundaries!
    Love 2010 | Marriage 2011 | TTC #1 since 2012
    PCOS | Anovulatory | Metformin + Letrozole
  • Options

My husband's family goes on loads of trips and before he joined the military we always went with (we were always invited, lol). It always started out with the 6 of us (His parents 2 sisters and us) and then grew to almost 20 by the time we left. A lot of extended family would invite themselves. 

After a while we just started inviting them so we knew from the start how many would come. Then their friends started inviting themselves. 
    Now we don't live near them anymore, but they come up to visit us often... and there's always a tag along or two we didn't expect. I'm normally really laid back and loved never knowing who would show up on some of the family vacations it always made things interesting. But I don't like having to find someone somewhere to sleep last minute when they visit my house. Makes me feel like a bad hostess.
    We've yet to go on any trips just the two of us (he obviously doesn't get many days off). But when we do I won't be happy about any tag alongs. We need a vacation just the two of us soon!
    If extra people crash, I wouldn't make it my job to accommodate them. I would expect them to do that on their own if they don't give at least a week's notice and it's not an emergency. But that's just how my family always is. In fact, they rarely stay with us even when it's planned. DH's family on the other hand...
    Love 2010 | Marriage 2011 | TTC #1 since 2012
    PCOS | Anovulatory | Metformin + Letrozole
  • Options
    @theholmanherd

I know I try to think/behave that way, but when it's my husbands family it's hard to stop myself. He gets excited when so and so randomly pops up with everyone else, and they all do it to everyone so I guess it's just not strange to them. I'm also extremely non confrontational by nature, lol. Not much gets me mad, but I do stress fairly easy. 
    My family rarely visits as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker

image imageimage
    Married Since December 1st, 2012
    BFP#1 January 21st, 2014  
    EDD September 23rd, 2014

Air Force Wife, Oboist, Book Lover
    God's timing is perfect! 

• Options
    edited November 2013
    We don't have people crashing our vacations really, but we get a lot of side-eye every time we talk about one which makes it awkward and irritating.  We are a lot like you - spend very little on material things because we really like to travel.  Evidently, though, because we're both teachers we're supposed to be dirt poor, which leads to comments like "you go on SO many vacations" or "holy shit, where are you getting the money for this?!" etc.  It's really obnoxious to feel like I have to defend myself about it.  Sure, we don't make tons of money, but it's all in how you choose to spend it!  

It stinks that you have to worry about crashers when you should be able to be excited about your trips!  Hopefully if you stand up to them once or twice they'll all get the hint and stop inviting themselves along.

My brother gives me all kinds of shit for this.  When we post pictures he'll say something like "Another vacation?"  YES.  That's what we do.  Do you see me carrying a designer purse or dressing myself in fancy clothes?  NO.  I chose my career for the flexibility and time off.  Because I value my time much more than I value money.  I spend what I do have on the thing that makes me happiest: travel.  And just because we go to cool places doesn't mean we're staying in the best accommodations.  We travel steerage for all intents and purposes ;) But hell, we still get to see what we want to see even if we're sleeping like sardines in a can.

ETA: We're also members of rewards programs so we haven't paid for a flight in years.  C and her mom enter costume contests at Halloween specifically for cash and prizes related to travel.  This year they won two airline tickets, so our asses are going to San Francisco, baby!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"