Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Tantrums at 11 months?

Okay, I won't make this long. The title says it all. My daughter has been a little clingy (more than ever. I only noticed it because she is not one to want to be held or touched or bothered). Every time me or my husband put her down or don't pick her up she just throws herself on the floor and starts crying. I'll be honest, at first we found it a little funny because she is so tiny and we've never seen a kid this young throw a tantrum but now.. I'm a little concerned.

Is it too early?
What do I do? She doesn't know what right or wrong is right?
Do not want to spank her yet since if she doesn't know what right or wrong is.

Any help will be great

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Tantrums at 11 months?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It sounds more clinginess to me than tantrums?

DS started throwing tantrums when he hit 11 months - happens when he can't get his way, eg, take away his toy b/c we are leaving the house, stop him from pushing a chair around b/c he was running over other kids etc.  

He'll throw himself on the floor and cry and cry and cry.  I've tried redirect and distraction, sometimes it works but a lot of times it doesn't.  If I pick him up, he'll kick me with his legs and wriggle so hard that I might drop him.  In the end, I just let him be and not pay him attention.  He stops after 5 minutes or so.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's already been said but I'm going to reiterate... don't spank and freakin eleven month old. Seriously. I don't know people even think about that. She can't speak yet to tell you what is wrong so she throws fits when things happen that she doesn't like. That's it. Don't punish an infant because they can't yet express themselves to your standards.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son has tantrums all the time! The kind where he gets so mad that he'll hold his breath and throw himself back and just scream; it is usually because we've taken our phone or something else cool away from him. At this point I try to re-direct, but if that doesn't work I've started to let him just cry it out. It seems to be pretty effective and he stops within 5 minutes now where as before he could go on until he would vomit (no joke). I will only do it if I'm positive that he's upset because he wants something he can't have...not because he's wet, tired or hungry. 

Our LO's are way too tiny to really get discipline and they can't talk so really its just another method of communication as PP have already said.
  • This is an age where they become extreme attached to their parents and gain a fear of strangers. It is totally normal for them to throw little fits, because they are gaining independence but cannot express what they want or don't want. There is not much discipline you can do, I wouldn't do any at all. You can start saying "no" but they aren't going to understand it. It's just preparing them for when they can actually understand the word.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • My son was throwing amazing tantrums at 11 months old and he still is. At 17 months he is starting to understand things a bit more but is still not to the point where I can fully discipline him. Please do not spank your 11 month old. You will only do damage and hurt your relationship with her. 

You simply need to be patient and understand that she is not able to explain what she wants/needs and is completely at your mercy for having her needs and wants filled. Sometimes as adults we don't get just how frustrating life can be for a little one who is completely dependent on us for everything, and who doesn't understand why we don't give them what they want or need.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I liked the technique I saw on America's Supernanny (yes, I'm an avid watcher!).  A mom was dealing with a super-clingy little girl (12 months, maybe?), and the mom was taught to peel the kiddo off of her, move her to the side, and tell her in an upbeat voice, "You're ok.  You're ok," then move away and continue with what she needed to do.  I'm doing this even with my 10-month-old, and it's working well.  He cries or yells for a minute because he's not getting his way, but he is learning more and more to distract himself with a toy or crawling around.
  • DD had tantrums for a couple weeks [she hasn't had one in about a week, she's 10.5 now] but I would lay her on the floor, tell her she's alright then pretty much ignore her until she calmed down. As soon as she was calm I went back to her and continued our activity.
  • DD has been throwing them since she was like 8 months. Yeah, I'm terrified for the terrible 2s.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Clearly some of these people misread that you DON'T want to spank your baby. But I do agree that redirecting is probably the best bet. My DD cries about half the time I put her down, so I give her whichever toy is close by to play with. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. But I always explain to her, "Mommy can't hold you right now. I have to … I will be back to play/cuddle with you in a few minutes." She may not understand what I'm saying, but she eventually calms down.

• My DD is 11 months and has been throwing tantrums for about 3 months. She does the same thing as your DD. 

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"