Postpartum Depression

PPA and insomnia

rsheehan10rsheehan10 member
edited November 2013 in Postpartum Depression

I’m new to this board but have browsed it a few times. I have finally admitted to myself and my doctor about my anxiety and insomnia issues. I have been experiencing anxiety, trouble falling asleep and staying asleep since LO was born. I had been taking only half a Benadryl for 5.5 months postpartum. I then became used to it and started using my left over Ambien. It helped and I was finally able to sleep (broken sleep but some). I went to the OB about 3 weeks ago and he refilled the Ambien and started Prozac. I feel the anxiety has lessened but the sleep feels almost worse. I can’t fall asleep even with Ambien some nights. Forget OTC meds they don’t work. I am so anxious the baby will wake up and I won’t get sleep that I really don’t sleep. Im also experiencing a foggy feeling in my head and chest. Kinda hard to explain but do not know if that is a prozac thing, lack of sleep or if the IUD i got placed last week is causing this.  I am a psychiatric social worker so I know the effects of no sleep and that scares me to death. However I’m also afraid that I will become dependent on Ambien. My question to you ladies is 1. Does Prozac seem to make your sleep worse? 2. For those of you on trazododone do you seem to need an antidepressant as well? 3. Will your sleep ever go back to normal after using sleep aids long term? I am afraid that I am causing long term problems to my sleep habits by using aids to help me sleep. At this point I’m desperate to try anything. Thank you all so much.

photo 7e743566-12ed-490b-ab2b-c02defa0dfc7_zps2f01858c.jpg

Re: PPA and insomnia

• Went through the same exact thing!! I'm so sorry!!! To answer your questions: 1.  Prozac is a SSRI and it can sometimes make insomnia worse, my Celexa did.  I couldn't use an SSRI.  So it could def be making things worse for you.  2.  I use 100mgs of Trazodone at night and it is an antidepressant.  Most people do use it for sleep but it is technically an antidepressant as well.  I also use 50 mgs of Serequel...it is wonderful!  It is a non-addictive anti phychiotic (sounds scary, but isn't).  Helps control the mind racing that the anxiety causes.  I use to use 600mgs of it!!  Have been able to successfully wean to 50.  3.  Your sleep does get better.  The Ambien didn't really work for me either b/c my major problem was anxiety and that is what was causing the insomnia.  So I needed an anti anxiety, not a sleeping pill.  I use to use 2mgs of Klonopin every single night!  It worked wonders, but I was fearful of never getting off of it as well because it is an addictive benzo.  I probably used this does for 2 years, every night.  However, I am now only using .25mgs, every other night now :).  So...once your ready you can wean! I've actually started going two nights without taking it.  For now...try not to worry about the problems the meds can cause.  It will cause more stress and anxiety.  You need the meds to help you and that is ok!  So take what you need for now and worry about getting off of them later.  It will happen...promise.  
    PM if you have any other questions.  I have tons of tips that I do now for sleep stuff.
    Good luck and feel better! 
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• chiboo9chiboo9 member
    edited November 2013
    I went through the same exact thing as you, minus the meds. I had PPA and insomnia. It was horrible because LO was giving us long stretches of sleep at night, yet I was up all night with panic/anxiety attacks. I saw a therapist but declined the meds. I have a fear of being too dependent on them and not be able to wean off of them. This is all a personal choice though.

Along with a ton of multivitamins that I started taking, I was drinking this natural magnesium supplement called Natural Calm. My sleep literally improved. I was able to fall asleep easily, and if I woke up in the middle of the night, I fell back asleep easily too. The best part was not feeling drugged up or groggy, like sleep aids. You can find it on Amazon and read up on the reviews. Again, this is just my own personal experience. I wanted to share because I've been there, and absolutely felt so exhausted and miserable. Anxiety and insomnia is a beastly combo.

Good luck! Hope you find something that works for you!

Edited for spelling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"