Pregnant after 35
Options

Spotting

Hi everyone! I just took a HPT last Wednesday and discovered it was positive!  I am 39, hubby is 40... we have been trying for over 5 years.  I had an ectopic pregnancy 2 years ago and tried IVF once after that.  We came to the conclusion long ago that we were not destined to have our own child... now this!

But the day after the positive I started spotting.  It has been light and mostly brown in colour, although twice it was closer to pink/red.  Little to no cramping so far.  I saw a doctor yesterday to make sure everything is okay.  I had blood work done to check my HCG level and it will be done again tomorrow.

I'm freaked out because of the ectopic pregnancy I had before... I ended up having surgery because my right fallopian tube ruptured and it was removed.  I don't want to go through that again.  I haven't let myself get excited yet about the fact that I actually am pregnant.

Anyway, I'm just "venting" here because I haven't had anyone to talk to about this other than my hubby (poor guy)! 

Re: Spotting

• Options
    I'm sorry for the worry.  I've read many stories where spotting turns out to be ok.  Best wishes (and congratulations!).
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    I had implantation bleeding, it's more common than you might think. FX for you that's all it is! Congratulations and best of luck to you- welcome to the board!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had small amounts of brown spotting for 3 1/2 weeks. I have sch & baby is fine!!!!!! Not all spotting is bad, keep your chin up girl! Thinking of you!
  • Options
    Wow, I was thinking about posting the same vent as you have, word for word. I'm around 5 weeks and I've had some really small amounts of brown spotting for the last two days, once slightly pink and I've had some mild cramping like niggly period pain but really, very mild. 

So I am sending (((hugs))) and feelin your freakout, sistah!  :)>- 

Apart from reading a ton online which all says the same, I'm rationalizing it by remembering that brown is old blood that has to go somewhere (I think) and gravity is not our friend on this one. When is it ever????
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Options
    Congratulations, yes spotting is common I too spotted this pregnancy.  I hope you have a wonderful journey!
  • Options
    I recall several ladies on my birth month spotting for whatever reasons during their first trimesters and all was fine.  My sister spotted her whole way through pregnancy and has healthy 5 year old twins.  I hope your doctor is able to give you some comforting news and that all is well.  
    imageimage
    Mama of boys, Landon (Jan 14) and Harrison (Aug 15).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thank you for all your words of support ladies! :)

The spotting finally tapered off on Sunday.  I went back to the doctor yesterday and the HCG blood work came back great (went from 14,000 to 17,000). I had an ultrasound which showed the baby is in the uterus (my biggest worry) and was measured as being 6w4d.  The doctor's only concern was that the heartbeat was a little low (he didn't give me the number), but he said that if their dating was off it could explain it (by my calculations based on when I think I ovulated, I figured I was only at 6w0d).  I go back for another ultrasound again next week to check up on things.

Anyway, I'm feeling so relieved and super positive now.  I'm glad to have found this board.  Wishing you all the best in your pregnancies!

• Options
    Wonderful news! Congratulations and H&H 9 months!

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• Options
    Glad for you! Best wishes! :)
  • Options
    Excellent!!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"