Special Needs
Options

Tips on giving toddler's injections?

Lily has developed a blood clot in her leg due to a central line that was placed there. Now, she has to receive blood thinners twice a day for several months The only problem is the blood thinner has to administered by shot. Up until today, the nurses were giving Lily her shot. But, before Lily can be discharged, both DH and I need to learn how to give her the shots. So, tonight, I gave the shot... It was terrible. Any suggestions on how to minimize the trauma for her?
           image      image      image

Re: Tips on giving toddler's injections?

• Options
    I had to do lovenox injections for my entire pregnancy with #2 and for 6 weeks after.  I never made it to the heparin switch since she came early but the lovenox..sucks.  I don't have much advice toddler wise, except that you may be able to find a group for kids who have type 1 diabetes and get a lot of injection info, since they do it daily!  

Hope she is doing well otherwise!
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options
    It's your typical type of injection... No IV. They have her on Lovenox, the needle is small, but it still seems to hurt her. Though, I think she does better when the nurses give the shot, compared to when I gave the shot last night. I don't know if that is because I am her mother, or because I am inexperienced. I didn't know about the numbing cream, thanks for the suggestion!

Otherwise, she's doing just fine. She is off all respiratory support, and has been since 3 days after we took her off the vent. Really, she's been a rock star in that area! However, she's still going through withdraw from the sedatives, and she's weak. Both of those things are hard to witness, but at least we knew that was part of the deal.

She has a follow up scope tomorrow. If the doctors like what they see we could be discharged on Thursday, we just have to get her back on her normal feeds.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm an RN and give heparin. It comes with a very tiny needle and actually doesn't hurt at all, I had them myself.  For toddler's I would try to destract her and just give it.
  • Options
    The Lovenox itself burns its a subq injection..where are u giving it to her at? I could do thighs stomach or butt. Their isnt much to do about the burning aspect. Injecting it slower helped me a little.
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options
    The Lovenox itself burns its a subq injection..where are u giving it to her at? I could do thighs stomach or butt. Their isnt much to do about the burning aspect. Injecting it slower helped me a little.
    Good to know!  I'll go slower tonight.  We're also trying the numbing creme tonight.  (Cross my fingers).  We're giving it to her on her legs.  The people who came and instructed me on how to give the shot recommended that I do not give it on her stomach... Not enough fat they said (though, she looks plenty chubby to me).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"