December 2013 Moms

Do I REALLY need nursing tanks?

The tanks are a detail I overlooked and the list of crap to buy seems never ending. I have zero nursing tanks, and one nursing bra that I 'hope' will fit straight after delivery. Other than that I'm completely unprepared for nursing. Should I grab a few tanks? The bras I'd like to wait on and see what size I will need. Will any other top work? (Why does that seem like hugely stupid question......ftm for the win...)

Re: Do I REALLY need nursing tanks?

• I loved mine for sleeping and I plan on bringing it to the hospital. I would get one to see if you like it. Walmart has them cheap.  
  • No. I don't wear them, they fit weird. I just wear normal shelf bra tanks and pull them down. But I have small boobs (large B at most while nursing, a cup normally)
  • Loading the player...
  • I personally like the tanks, but some think they are a waste. I like them because you don't have to pull your whole shirt up and have all that hangin out. At home it's fine but the tanks are lovely if you ever wanna nurse publicly.
  • FTM here but my sister practically lived in hers the first few weeks learning to breast feed.  I plan on taking mine to the hospital and wearing it instead of a bra.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   BabyFetus Ticker
  • Nope you don't need them or any specific nursing clothing at all besides nursing bras.  I hated the nursing tanks and ended up having three that I barely ever used. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As a FTM I have no clue, but I would say we probably don't NEED them, but they'll be convenient? I'd say get one, see how you like it, and worst case scenario you can either send out your SO to get more or order them online.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KateVA said:
    No. I don't wear them, they fit weird. I just wear normal shelf bra tanks and pull them down. But I have small boobs (large B at most while nursing, a cup normally)
    Yes, I would add I have a large chest and will have to order bras online to get a good fitting one. I liked it because it was cheaper than a sleep bra and comfy.  If you are smaller chested, a regular shelf tank would work.  
  • I found opening and closing the clasps harder than just pushing down a regular, stretchy tank.  So for me, no, I'm not getting any nursing tanks.  They can be expensive too.
    Our family is complete!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have huge boobs...34G normally, and 34 H/I when my milk comes in.  So I got a lot of use out of my tanks.  At home I would wear a tank with just a shirt over.  When out in public I would wear a nursing bra with a nursing tank over and then either a button down or a shirt that could pull up comfortably.  This allowed for me to keep my tummy covered with the tank, and the shirt covering my upper boob. 

• Target has some nice ones that do not snap. They helped me with modesty. If you plan on nursing in public I enjoyed then because I could stay covered. They are in the regular clothes section at target not with the bras.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would say yes... It makes me feel much more human, and I love my nursing tanks! Maybe just get one to see what you think about them, but they are so helpful... otherwise your boobies have the potential to just be popping out all over the place we the lower shirts you will be wearing for nursing. I just love tanks under my shirts, so it was a no-brainer for me. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #1 - DD conceived April 2012, born January 10, 2013 
    BFP #2 - DS conceived March 2013, born December 20, 2013
    Two babies, 11 months apart! We're in for a ride!
  • For me they are essential because I will be pumping when back at work.  My work wardrobe will consist of cardigans, nursing tanks and dress pants.  I can unclasp the nursing tank and fit my hands free pumping bra over the unclasped tank.  Since I plan to pump 3x/day when back at work I will get my use out of them. 
  • I never liked them and much preferred a regular tank top that you can either pull up or pull down. I would say definitely yes to nursing bras though.

I was normally a full C cup but went up to a large D in the third tri with DS. I stayed a D while bf'ing. This time I went from a full B cup (yes they got smaller after bf'ing for a year) to a full D.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• ScarlettVScarlettV member
    edited November 2013
    Okay, sounds like the world won't implode if I don't happen to get one right away....as in it could wait until I get home and decide what works.

I started out with a B cup, which last I checked over a month ago had gone up to a DD...and they are definitely bigger than that right now; so sounds like the tanks are good if you find yourself suddenly all boobilicious.

• It makes nursing soo much easier when you have nursing tops! I loved mine and wore them constantly. You can find cute nursing tops on Zulily often that are a little more affordable than motherhood maternity I believe.

BabyFetus Ticker

• What exactly is the difference between a regular tank vs. a nursing tank?  Is it just that the nursing tanks have clasps or buttons for easier access?

• Nursing bras are a must, nursing tanks not as much.  They are convenient but as others have said, I think they fit kind of funny.  I have a few nursing tanks but I have also just worn loose-fitting cami tanks and pulled a strap down when I need to nurse, works just as well (and fewer clasps to open/close).
    -DS #1 due 7/1/11, born 7/7/11
    -m/c Feb 2013 at 4w6d
    -DS #2 due 12/24/13, born 12/11/13
  • I loved mine and bought 3 more this time around. To me they were vital for nursing in public, as I could take the tank down, shirt up and my post baby belly stayed covered.
    D13 June Siggy Challenge Awkward (Awesome) Bathing Suits
    photo d5230f4f-07cc-4b75-b11c-da060b42a66d.jpg
  • What exactly is the difference between a regular tank vs. a nursing tank?  Is it just that the nursing tanks have clasps or buttons for easier access?

Yes clasps are a big part of it. I tried both regular tops and nursing tops and I noticed that the regular tops wore out quicker than my nursing tops after pulling them down all the time. I liked keeping my stomach covered which is why I perfer to have the access from the top rather than pulling my shirt all the way up. The clasps or elastic top nursing tanks and tees made everything easier for me to nurse publicly, quickly and I didn't have to worry that my shirt was smothering my DD's face.  I also get cold easy so that was another reason why I liked to keep as covered as possible. Just me maybe?

BabyFetus Ticker

• Habrsk87 said:

What exactly is the difference between a regular tank vs. a nursing tank?  Is it just that the nursing tanks have clasps or buttons for easier access?

Yes clasps are a big part of it. I tried both regular tops and nursing tops and I noticed that the regular tops wore out quicker than my nursing tops after pulling them down all the time. I liked keeping my stomach covered which is why I perfer to have the access from the top rather than pulling my shirt all the way up. The clasps or elastic top nursing tanks and tees made everything easier for me to nurse publicly, quickly and I didn't have to worry that my shirt was smothering my DD's face.  I also get cold easy so that was another reason why I liked to keep as covered as possible. Just me maybe?

Thank you!!  This is a really helpful answer.

• They definitely aren't a necessity but super nice to have.  You could just wear a nursing bra and any old shirt.  The negative of this is that when you pull up your shirt to nurse, you belly is completely exposed.  A newly postpartum belly is not something I enjoy showing the world so I like to have the tank to cover it up.  They are also nice for sleeping.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In the beginning they are great! My current wardrobe since I've given birth has been in a nursing tank, yoga pants and a hoodie or cardigan. 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (zHjr)
  • jamrosj said:
    I loved mine for sleeping and I plan on bringing it to the hospital. I would get one to see if you like it. Walmart has them cheap.  
    I just ordered two from Wal Mart (even though it's evil) because they were super cheap and then I wouldn't care as much if I hated them and never wore them. 

They did have baby doll style tanks, which I would like better than the tight fitting ones.  Even now, I don't like the tight fits around my belly so the baby doll style looks a lot more comfortable.

• I have huge boobs...34G normally, and 34 H/I when my milk comes in.  So I got a lot of use out of my tanks.  At home I would wear a tank with just a shirt over.  When out in public I would wear a nursing bra with a nursing tank over and then either a button down or a shirt that could pull up comfortably.  This allowed for me to keep my tummy covered with the tank, and the shirt covering my upper boob. 

I am that size too- but having a hard time finding them! Where did u get!!
  • I got by the first time with out any tanks. I just had nursing bras. I just let it all hang out...meh

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

• I hated the nursing tops that you pulled under your boob. Not only did I feel crazy exposed but my daughter was a drooler when she ate so the shirt got wet. I wore nursing tanks and regular shirts and was way more comfortable!
  • Personally, they are a must for me (not necessarily nursing tanks, but a tank under my shirt that can be pulled down), I am super modest though and felt very uncomfortable with the idea of my stomach exposed. Having the tank gave me the coverage I needed to nurse with confidence and not feel like I was a spectacle. I favored using a regular tank that was stretchy enough to pull down. The "built in" bra in the nursing tank was not sufficient support for me, but wearing it with a bra under it always felt super binding across my chest and was too tight under my bust where the bands would overlap.
    image image image

• I bought two since I figure it would be easier than a bra and shirt especially in the beginning. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I nursed for 2.5 years with my first and never had one, so they're not necessary, though I have bought a bunch for this baby. I'll wear them under normal shirts so when I lift my shirt to breastfeed my stomach won't be hanging out. They'll also be easy to wear paired with a cardigan and around the house and in the hospital. Definitely worth it for me, but not a *necessity*. I got mine at Motherhood Maternity. 
    image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"