March 2014 Moms

Hot Topic Tuesday: Screen Time

pepperedmothpepperedmoth member
edited November 2013 in March 2014 Moms
What do you want to, um, TRY to argue about today?

Alcohol during pregnancy is OFF THE TABLE, you guise. 

ETA: Screen time it is! Are you going to allow your child to rot their brain with pap . . . or be a rigid controlling helicopter mom? OBVIOUSLY those are the only two options here! ;-)

Go!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hot Topic Tuesday: Screen Time

• What DO other boards argue about?
  • ummmmm ??? push presents, NIP, BF vs. FF, leashes, ear piercing, TV time
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • What DO other boards argue about?
    Everything. Haha, we just aren't an arguing crowd. 
  • edited November 2013
    I'd be curious to know about any contriversy surrounding push presents as I've yet to meet anyone who's not at least theoretically on board. Screen (TV/iPad/etc.) time and content (educational vs. standard issue disney channel vs. Saturday morning cartoons vs. things I don't know about) is a good one. I was raised in a highly controlled environment in this way, and would like to see how all the other children of weirdos turned out. ;)
  • Screen time could be interesting. When, how much, what kinds? Like that?
  • I will admit my kid watches way too much tv. I justify it that she spends most of her time at school being raised by others so it's not that much in the grand scheme of things. You all can flame me if you want. I need it.
  • Well based on the co-sleeping thread that topic just isn't "hot enough!" I vote TV time too.
  • Well, since MH is REALLY excited to have a buddy to watch cartoons with, I think I am going to lose this battle if I chose to fight it.

If we are not working, the first few hours of Sunday are spent in front of the TV drinking coffee and catching up on cartoons.  MH is really a 5 year old trapped in a man's body.

I will draw the line at a TV in the bedroom though.
  • Haha. Screen time. Um . . . 

The only rules we have in place so far for LO are: 
    -No screen time at meal times (that goes for ALL of us --- I can't use my phone; MH can't watch the weather)
    and
    -We'll only turn the TV on to watch a specific show we're interested in. We're not going to leave it on in the background (we don't really do that anyway). We love the idea of watching PBS documentaries all together. We both loved NOVA when we were little.  

Other than that, play it by ear?

I'm a little too much into the internet (mostly on my phone), but other than that we're not a high-electronics-use household. We only get broadcast channels on the TV (digital converter box --- no cable or satellite or whatever). We have one laptop between us and crummy internet access (tethering on my cell). 
  • I like it in moderation. I'm not against it, I just don't like when parents use it as a " babysitter", they don't want to deal with their kids so they stick in front of the tv I don't really go for that. I would say no tv at dinner ( that's a rule for me and dh now), and no more then a couple hours a day , when not in school /daycare.

Married  : ** 09/09/2011  ** BFP : 07-18-13 ** Baby #1 is a GIRL , Born 03/12/14 ** 
    ** BFP 2 :  01- 05-15 ** EDD 09-11-15 **

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie First Birthday tickers

Baby S 2. Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I am a FTM, so no personal experience with kids and TV. When I was a kid I didn't watch a lot of TV, but I don't know if that was a choice of my parents or because we were poor and didn't have cable. I remember watching Sesame Street as a young kid, but that's about it.

I'm not a fan of extended TV watching, even for adults so I'm thinking that this LO won't be watching tons of it. But in a moment of desperation when I just want to potty by myself who knows whether I'll turn on the TV or not?!
  • As far as electronics go I'm for the screen time.  IMO its good for kids to get a handle on the technology at a young age...if its second nature to them all the better.  I'm definitely going to monitor what goes on a tablet though to make sure that its something they can learn from and they will be allowed to fix and play with any broken electronic (my DH and I are both nerds and keep that stuff around for teaching LO how to solder and how to fix things and put them back together)

It would naturally be my desire to have as little TV time as possible but I know that might not be how I feel after running around all day.  Peace, quiet and a bath might be a goal.  I'm with @pepperedmoth though about electronics down during dinner time, I'm trying to get my DH use to it after 8 as he has a terrible habit of lurking on the internet for hours (damn you reddit, tumblr and stumbleupon!)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers   
  • Everything in moderation.

My kids rarely get screen time on our iPad or tablet, that is reserved mostly for when we're traveling and need out of the ordinary distractions. But they get a little TV every day - usually a 20 min show in the morning and again in the evening. Some days they get another 20 min after naps, so most days it's 40-60 minutes. Maybe once every 2 weeks or so they get a movie, and we have family movie night once a month. This week they're getting waaaaay more TV than usual because mama has the stomach flu and I'm not budging from the couch except to feed them and change diapers. Desperate times, desperate measures.

I broke my "TV for background noise all the time" habit when DD1 was close to a year old and starting to notice/watch the TV. I still do a little HGTV/Food Network on the weekends or DH watches basketball/football, but for the most part any TV besides the girls' few shows is while they are napping/in bed.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My husband is an IT guy--not only at work, but at home too. We have more electronic gadgets than I would ever think to buy for myself. My stepdaughter is allowed to watch TV, play kids games on my computer, and play with her LeapPad, but in moderation. Generally, we limit the TV watching to mornings only. It gives us all time to get our gears going for the day so we can have fun in the afternoon. Like another PP said, we also do not have the TV on during meals--even when it is just DH and myself. She mostly just plays with her LeapPad in the car, and only asks to play computer games every now and then. I think it's a balancing act--I don't think there is anything wrong with allowing kids to watch TV or play computer games, but I think there should be a limit to it also.

• We used cartoons as a reward for pooping in the toilet. It worked like a charm for us. We have now started transitioning away from that now that he is completely potty trained. He only ever watched the Sprout Channel, Yo Gabba Gabba (this was the go to after pooping) and he loves Umi Zoomi. He usually got to watch some cartoons for a bit before dinner.

Now we have cut down his cartoon time significantly because he does neurofeedback and watches cartoons for that and was having trouble not being fidgety during the sessions. Since we've cut out cartoons outside of nfb he hasn't had any issues during his sessions.

He also has some delays and an IEP with school so he uses the iPad a lot to practice writing his letters and numbers with Letter School. Those are all games and he really likes them and the are educational.

When he has had good days he also gets to watch kid songs on YouTube. We are in no way anti screen time and even DH said the cartoon limit might be lifted next week while DS is home all week for thanksgiving break. And I know he gets plenty of screen time at both grandparents' houses.
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I generally limit how much TV B watches. Most days he watches 5-10 minutes before bed of baby TV so he can calm down.
    But Sundays we have a movie night and watch a full movie. Also Saturday I was packing so he watched a lot of Dora.
    I don't care if kids watch TV but I prefer my child to do other stuff and only have some TV everyday.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • There is some screen time.  I try not to let it be too long and I have made conscious efforts to not resort to it if I can help it. She notices TV but doesn't really "sit" and watch for an extended period of time. She'll play and if something catches her, she stops for a second. 

I have a terrible TV on in the background habit and now that she is getting older and "hearing" things, it will have to change.  Previously all she paid attention to were catchy commercials.

And yes once in a while I throw on Disney just to wrangle her in.  Like if DH isn't home and I need 5-10 minutes to get something done.  I have yet to get more than that from it anyway, she much prefers to interact with people.

DD - Lucia Alessandra 6/18/12  ~~~  Welcoming Baby Boy!! - 3/26/14

• DD watches tv (kinda) but not really. it's on in the background all the time but she might watch it for like 45 mins a day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My daughter has LOVED watching TV since she was born.  I would try to watch something while I nursed her, but I would end up having to turn it off because she wouldn't nurse while it was on.  She would happily sit in front of it for hours at a time if we let her.  It's really strange to me because I can't make it through a TV show without doing something else or getting up and moving around... I'm not really a TV person. 

She is especially obsessed with Mickey Mouse, and now that she's talking, she will ask for "Mickey" and "TV" multiple times during the day.  She usually watches 1 or 2 20 minute shows when she gets up in the morning, and 2 in the evening.  Sometimes in the car she'll watch an episode on my phone, too. 

So basically she watches way too much TV and it's something I feel guilty about daily. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Netflix is the best distraction I've ever had for DD! I don't want my kids to only watch tv, but I'm definitely grateful I can get a break when I turn it on!
  • We didn't let DD watch any TV or really have any screen media at all until she was 2.  As an only child that worked out fine and we were happy with how things went!  DS...well, he pretty much watched TV whenever DD watched TV so it is what it is :)  With this baby we do hope to keep him/her away from screen media a bit longer - our kids both have use of iPads now so we're banking on them watching shows on them and not on the living room TV.  We'll see how it goes, but with older siblings you really can't be as strict about it!
    imageimage 
  • DD Loves TV. I am for everything in moderation and will admit freely to having used the TV as a babysitter if I need to get things done. At 2.5 years old (roughly) DD is not yet at a point where she will do independent play for longer stretches. I try to do a maximum of 2 shows per day which are the 20 some minute Minnie Mouse, Jake, Sophia or Doc. Usually in the background I have the music TV stations on instead of a show because I do notice that if a show is on she will stop playing to watch it. I have also given her the ipad when out to watch a show once we exhaust her other options. I see no problem with kids watching tv as long as it isn't hours and hours on end every day. Parents need time to get things done, and sometimes that is the way you have to do it!

I do have concerns though and they may be completely unfounded. My DH is a total tv-aholic.  I know that word is made up! But seriously the minute he comes into the house or comes downstairs the TV is turned on. He has like 30 shows that are 'his'. I have no clue if this is hereditary or not but it concerns me that DD likes tv as much as she does simply due to his habit. DH is pretty near perfect so I can't complain but it is something that drives me crazy because he will sit there for hours on end watching that dumb machine when things could be getting done. Plus he struggles with his weight and constantly complains about it and I would hate to see her go down the path of being unhappy with physical appearance because of a sedentary lifestyle. (to note, DH was a college athlete, so his weight gain is nothing health related, it is purely from sitting and mindlessly  munching).

Overall, I 100% think the whole 'if they are exposed to technology their brains will fry' is nonsense. I think as long as it is mindful, some exposure is not only OK, but necessary!

• I'd be curious to know about any contriversy surrounding push presents as I've yet to meet anyone who's not at least theoretically on board. Screen (TV/iPad/etc.) time and content (educational vs. standard issue disney channel vs. Saturday morning cartoons vs. things I don't know about) is a good one. I was raised in a highly controlled environment in this way, and would like to see how all the other children of weirdos turned out. ;)

Push presents were hashed out pretty early on. Seemed split?

Anywho....My son watches a Mickey in the morning while we get ready and one while we get dinner ready. He doesn't use our phones at home or public. He likes Lunchbox Monkey on our nook occasionally. I think its fine considering he's ar daycare all day learning and playing. I just consider it some down time. He wasn't interested until about 2.5.

• Haha, DD was just watching PBS while I worked on painting my bedroom. Generally, I try to avoid it as much as possible, especially during the evenings/weekends when DH is around and we can spend time together as a family. She watches a lot of videos at my in-laws, which I'm not thrilled about, so I avoid it at home even more. DD likes to help, so I try to just include her in whatever I'm doing during the day (obviously painting isn't a good project for her to "help" with). She loves to "clean" and rearrange my cupboards for me and help me cook. ;)

It depends on the circumstances. When I am sick or we've had a really rough day, all of the "rules" go out the window. I don't have a problem with age-appropriate TV/videos in moderation. Prior to maybe a year old (I can't remember for sure) she didn't watch any if I could help it.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited November 2013
    I grew up in a household where I was allowed to watch no more than 2 hours per week, plus one family movie night. I was also only allowed to watch TV that didn't have Ads. I spent most of my free time climbing trees, playing make believe by myself (only child until 8) and doing tons of reading. Conversely, my husband was raised in a home where the TV was always on, in every room, and not widely censored at any age. We both turned out fine.

These days, we both work in digital advertising - which I only mention to say we spend a LOT of time on computers/tablets/phones reading/working/interacting. We don't watch TV every day, but have a couple shows we follow. We watch a movie once per week. None of this is especially calculated, but just how our schedules work out.

All that background to say - my husband feels pretty strongly that we should raise this kid similarly to how I was raised, as well as strictly limit their online time as they get older. I'm on board in theory, but wonder how it will play out in practice (don't want to be an "I never" FTM). Would love to hear more from STMs who limit successfully.

ETA: Would also love to hear from STMs who thought they would be limiting screen time and ultimately said screw it!
  • babylimas said:
    I like it in moderation. I'm not against it, I just don't like when parents use it as a " babysitter", they don't want to deal with their kids so they stick in front of the tv I don't really go for that. I would say no tv at dinner ( that's a rule for me and dh now), and no more then a couple hours a day , when not in school /daycare.
    You would be amazed how much you can get done during an episode of Jake and the Neverland Pirates. Babysitting tvs get a bad rep. 
    I completely agree I'm sure you can get a lot done , my point is I used to nanny for a family and their kids did absolutely nothing but sit in front of the tv from the time we finished homework to the time I left 3 hours later. DH and I are both very outdoorsy people and we usually try and find anything to do on the weekends to get out of the house. I would just prefer my kids to be kids and enjoy playing outside like I did. I'm not saying I wont use it as a tool to get things done I just don't like when kids are attached to it .

Married  : ** 09/09/2011  ** BFP : 07-18-13 ** Baby #1 is a GIRL , Born 03/12/14 ** 
    ** BFP 2 :  01- 05-15 ** EDD 09-11-15 **

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie First Birthday tickers

Baby S 2. Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My tv is on all the time. I can't stand silence so it's for background noise. It's usually on cartoons- dora, bubble guppies, umi zoomi. My daughter is 2.5 and loves these shows. They have taught her so much. She doesn't sit down and watch it all the time but she'll play and look at the tv periodically and sing along with songs and answer questions the shows ask.

I'm more strick with other screens. She doesn't use our phones, computer or ipad. I have nothing to back this up but I think smaller screens are worse on the eyes so I don't let her use those things. Weird? Maybe but that's what we do at our house.
    Hi I'm Aria. Married in 2008. Baby G born 2011. Due March 25, 2014
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a FTM, and we haven't really thought or talked about this much so I'm interested in what everyone has to say.

My mom and I both frequently watch my cousin's son who is 2.5. I've seen the definite pros and cons of screen time with him. His parents are pretty into letting the tv do the work- he's got one in his room that is always on, and he has access to their tv/xbox when they're not using it (not saying babysitter tvs are a bad thing occasionally, but this is literally all day, every day).

So, he's known from a young age how to use technology. He can use a smartphone, and knows how to get to his favorite shows and videos on Netflix and Youtube. And they've taught him really well- he knows how to sign the alphabet, count to 20, and can recognize and name all the letters. He certainly wouldn't have learned that stuff without it. But, he's also pretty dependent upon it to entertain himself.

He's also started trying to navigate to the more violent games. His father said its because he's let him play Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty a little. (But he doesn't know what he's doing!!! All he does is walk around!!! Yeah, thats why you were laughing about him beating a guy up in the game...). We've noticed an uptick in his kicking and hitting since they started letting him play this stuff. Totally appropriate for a two year old, cuz.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My daughter watches an episode, sometimes two, of Sesame Street every day. And yes, I use that as her babysitter so I can cook dinner, fold laundry, clean, or just have some time to myself. It's educational, she loves it, and I don't see a problem with it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know I should "never say never" but I very very strongly want to avoid our kids watching ANY screen time, especially before the age of 2. I really believe that a huge part of the reason why there are so many ADD-type kids in our society is because of overstimulation from screens. Of all the things I do/don't want to do in raising children, this and breastfeeding are at the top, and hopefully things I will not break down on.
    imageimage
  • DS doesn't have a tv in his room but he watches a movie at least once a day and we usually watch an episode of something at night before bed. A few times a week, he & DH play the wii. He can run an iPad or his iPod like a champ but those are ed games and usually limited to a few times a week. If I get desperate and need to shower or go to the bathroom in peace, you better believe I pull one of those bad boys out. I do wish I would have waited a little longer to introduce them though. We went through a hard battle of him wanting them 24/7 and had to hide them for about 6 weeks.
  • lalaith50 said:
    I know I should "never say never" but I very very strongly want to avoid our kids watching ANY screen time, especially before the age of 2. I really believe that a huge part of the reason why there are so many ADD-type kids in our society is because of overstimulation from screens. Of all the things I do/don't want to do in raising children, this and breastfeeding are at the top, and hopefully things I will not break down on.

This is interesting to me, since some young kids can sit through an episode of whatever and some kids can't make it through a whole episode.  I wonder what the differences are personality-wise.  I also know that TV was around when we were kids, so I'd be interested in seeing the rates of the ADD diagnoses and how they relate to when TV started being so common. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• this is funny b/c I guess I've managed to snag a few bites on another topic but this topic is so very much not important to me bc I do what is best for my family and I don't see how your limits/restrictions affect me and mine... hmmm
  • In regards to the ADD thing. I am still firmly in the camp that more kids are diagnosed with this (and autism, aspbergers (sp?), ADHD, etc) because now a technical diagnosis exists. Before all of these were mainstream, some kids were just 'different' than others. now there is a name for it and, for some, a treatment to help alleviate it which makes these things a heck of a lot easier to label. I think that plays a large role in why we see so many kids who are diagnosed with things now as opposed to when we were younger. Perhaps extended periods of TV could cause an issue, but I don't think 'normal' amounts will do any harm, mentally and developmentally.
  • lalaith50 said:
    I know I should "never say never" but I very very strongly want to avoid our kids watching ANY screen time, especially before the age of 2. I really believe that a huge part of the reason why there are so many ADD-type kids in our society is because of overstimulation from screens. Of all the things I do/don't want to do in raising children, this and breastfeeding are at the top, and hopefully things I will not break down on.
    As @katykatykaty would say, show me the research.  Is there research out there that indicates that screens = ADD?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A'ight, ladies! I'll bite!

DH and I are gamers! We met in an online multiplayer game (MMORPG for the savvy folk), and video games are something we enjoy together. That and.... *drumroll* cartoons and movies! We are especially fond of superheroes and sci-fi and all that jazz. We love us some screen time!

I do NOT intend to plop LO down in front of the TV for hours unsupervised, or hand over an iPad and let him/her go to town on mindless games and videos.

What I DO intend is to carefully monitor the shows and games and movies DH and I choose to SHARE with LO. We will watch Justice League! We will talk about heroes and villains and how the morals and lessons in these stories translate to real life. We will select a few episodes of Doctor Who to watch together (the less scary ones). We will play video games TOGETHER. Scribblenauts will be so much fun for the three of us!

I also intend to spend family time doing crafts, playing table top games, going for walks and playing outside, taking LO to parks, zoos, and nature trails.

It won't be ALL screen time, and no screen will be a babysitter. There won't be a TV in LO's room. We won't have screens on during meals. But DH and I love screens... I cannot say we will "limit" technology time.... But I can say it will be part of this kiddo's childhood, along with dress up and macaroni art and blanket forts and bug-catching and everything else I can think of to experience with him or her!

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • kelley72 said:
    this is funny b/c I guess I've managed to snag a few bites on another topic but this topic is so very much not important to me bc I do what is best for my family and I don't see how your limits/restrictions affect me and mine... hmmm

Obviously none of our decisions affect anyone else. These threads, as with all of the ones like it, are simply for people to state their perspective and argue their point as to why it is right for them and their family and why they believe what they believe. I have said before, you usually make good points (when you are actually making a point), but I don't know why you continue to say over and over again that basically people should mind their own business because your decisions don't affect them. It's pretty darn simple, if you don't want to share what you do or share your perspective, just don't comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"