Special Needs

Chewing - getting a little dangerous now

So Chris has gone back to putting everything into his mouth and chewing.  His OT wants to get him a chewy bracelet and I remember a couple of years ago when he was doing this also, that his ST gave him a chewy tube and it almost seemed like the chewing/biting got worse and I'm afraid of that happening again although I don't know how much worse it can get.

He will literally chew ANYTHING.  Paper, cardboard, rubber, wood, anything and everything goes in his mouth for chewing.  God help us we've even caught him several times chewing on wires ... THAT ARE PLUGGED INTO THE WALL.  I freaked when I found him chewing on my iphone charger.  He'd unplugged my phone and was chewing on the end that goes into the phone, while it was still plugged into the wall.  

I'm completely at a loss as to what to do and am afraid he's going to end up doing himself harm with this biting/chewing that he can't seem to stop.  

Has anyone here gone through this?  Any suggestions?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Chewing - getting a little dangerous now

• My son has sensory issues, he also has chewy tubes.  They come in different strengths and you can get one that is almost indestructable.  Also something that helped my son was a vibrating toothbrush or a vibrating teether.  They were a godsend. Try one of those.  The vibrating teethers are around 6 bucks and they are tough as nails.
  • I have a stash of tootsie rolls for him.  I am on coat #3 this winter.  He eats the top of the zipper right off.  I just bought elastic to put on it with the hopes he chews on that instead.  DS has a chew tube, but he doesn't like to stick out using it.  Gum might help as well if he can chew that without eating it.  Brushing, swinging and the trampoline helped a lot. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • DS is finally mostly out of chewing, but he did this for a long time. He ate my life proof case for my phone, so I guess it must have not been quite that "life" proof. He still keeps a teething ring in the fridge so we tried to just curb it to more appropriate things, but we never had the chewyz.
    He will still chew on his clothes, but it isn't nearly as bad as it was before occupational therapy. I always used to worry. I still won't let him have bouncy balls, because I just know he will pop one in his mouth and choke on it as soon as I turn around. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We weren't experiencing this to the degree that you are, but over the summer DD started chewing her hair and putting her hands in her mouth constantly (which she hadn't done in years).  Then at her next dentist appointment they told us that her six year molars were starting to erupt.  Two of them have popped through, and the hair chewing has stopped.  Our OT tried to introduce a chewy tube, but DD's gag reflex is really far forward, so she couldn't tolerate it.  She's still putting her hands in her mouth (not as much), but I'm hoping that will stop once the second two are in.  As a baby/toddler she was the absolute worst teether on the face of the earth.  She would scream for hours in the middle of the night when her one year molars were erupting.  It was a nightmare.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"