Natural Birth

One Long Contraction

knash87knash87 member
edited November 2013 in Natural Birth
I have a question for those of you who have had natural births and had the same contraction situation that I experienced with my first child. I had an epidural with my first, but here is what happened... Basically between the time my water broke (at 2 cm dilated) and being ready to push was 4 hours. At the time my water broke, my contractions no longer had any kind of a break between them. They literally would peak, then pretend they were going back down, only to peak over and over again. What I would imagine usually takes place during transition. I don't think it is typical for this to happen the entire time one is laboring. So here is my concern; my labor was pretty short for a ftm and from what I've been told labors usually get quicker (in my mom's experience that was the case. Her 4th child was a 2 hr labor from first pain to being born). I am wondering if I will have time for an epidural next time, which I probably wouldnt mind except that, because of the experience I had with my contractions, I'm afraid that I won't be able to handle a natural birth. I feel like if I had more 'normal' contractions, I'd be more likely that I could. Either way, I'm not going to lie, I'm a huge baby and have a very low pain and discomfort tolerance. My question is... Have any of you had one non stop 4 hr plus contraction and did it naturally?

Re: One Long Contraction

• Yes with our 2nd. And yes my birth with her was much shorter. I would discuss concerns with not having enough time for an epi with your doctor as soon as possible so that you can formulate a plan. I will say however that although my second labor was more intense I weathered it much better as I knew what to expect as a STM.

• I had a 10 hour labor and had one continuous contraction and I delivered naturally.  While pregnant, I had this vision of me being able to finishing packing and do stuff in between contractions, and that was not the case at all.  I had a baseline of horrible cramping throughout labor, and my contractions were just moments of even more horrible cramping.  I was never pain-free during labor. 

For me, I was able to deal with the pain through the natural pain relief of water.  I labored in the shower at home and in a labor tub in the hospital and it was a god send!  I honestly never asked for an epidural because I didn't want to leave the tub to get one. 

I would read up on ways to manage pain naturally if you feel like you won't have time for an epidural.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you ladies!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"