Preemies

Recommend your monitor

I'm completing my registry, while my son is in the NICU and began thinking about the monitors. Should I register for the one that has a sensor pad? It seems like the mos logical one but I've heard a lot of negative comments about it. I don't know if I can sleep just with a video monitor though. We are planning for LO to sleep next to our bed for the first few months so I don't even know if monitor will be needed in those months.

In addition, any other items that I should register which would be different/in addition Bc I'm dealing with a preemie baby?

Thank so much in advance!

Ps we hit the three pound mark yesterday and here is Jacob smiling for the world!

Re: Recommend your monitor

• Aww he's so precious! Congrats on 3lbs!

We just got a regular monitor, no special gimmicks. We thought we would want the angelcare with the movement mat but we'd heard bad things too and a couple NICU nurses told us it was unnecessary and went off for false alarms often. He slept in a bassinet beside me for his first 2 months at home anyway so no monitor was needed then. We find the regular one works just fine!
    Actually he's such a wiggler and often ends up at the other end of his crib so the mat wouldn't even be under him anyway!

The only extra thing I suggest is some extra swaddleme blankets. The NICU nurses swaddle them up so tight to sleep (once they're not hooked up to so much stuff) that the only way LO will sleep now is if he's super tightly swaddled. They're easier to use than a receiving blanket IMO.
    Also make sure you have a white noise machine. They're so used to the loud NICU they need noise to sleep once home. We found this out the hard way on our first night home when it took until 5am and blasting the tv to get him to sleep haha.
  • Video monitor! We love love love ours! U can see them so good and their breathing
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just have a regular sound monitor, a VTech, but we barely need it because she still sleeps in our room in her crib. I second PP's suggestion to get a white noise machine. Ours is Homedics brand. Also when DD first came home from the hospital she was too small for a swaddle me, but the zip up swaddle pod was the right size for her. Congrats on hitting the 3lb mark!! He's going to get bigger so fast now!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • We got the angelcare monitor and have't used it at all! She had mild reflux and still sleeps in the rock n play beside our bed. We plan to move her to her nursery over Christmas break but probably won't even hook up the movement portion of the monitor. For us, it was a waste of time! I wish we would've gotten the video monitor and I might still. When we move her to her crib, I'd love to be able to see if she's really awake or just fussing a bit in her sleep so I know whether or not to go to her. 

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • I also have heard mostly negative comments about the monitors with the pad so I would shy away from them. Plus I really just don't think it's necessary.

We just have a plain old cheapy Graco sound monitor. Our LO slept in a bassinet in our room for the first month he was home (so over 2 months actual age) and then moved to his own room with the monitor. That thing is so sensitive you can hear people talking outside with it. We had to move our LO because he makes so many noises while sleeping, it's crazy! We were both turning into zombies from lack of sleep. That being said, he was doing so well that we felt comfortable with it.

We decided against spending the money on the video monitor because I felt more comfortable just peaking my head in the door that watching a monitor.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • We had a Snuza and just stopped using it. DD will be 11 months on Sunday. It gave me such peace of mind. I don't think I would have slept without it (especially once DD moved to her nursery).

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats on 3lb!! Keep growing baby!!

We also debated between sensory monitors, but when we found out we'd most likely come home on oxygen, we decided not to get one since she'd have an apnea monitor anyway.

I also wanted to swcond the RNP vote! We have one and use it ALL THE TIME! Also helps for reflux.
  • We have the SafeToSleep monitor. I love it. It made for a great transition to home because it still gave me a monitor to look at. I can watch his breathscope on my phone and it's very comforting. It's a portable, wireless mat that the baby just lays right on top of. I love it! I would also suggest a rock n play!
  • We have a The First Years sound-only monitor. My mom actually picked it up from a family friend's garage sale. It was barely used, if it all, but I'm not sure how old it is, or if it's still available since their kids are a bit older now. It works very well, though! We can hear her little breaths!

I was going to get an AngelCare, but just never got around to it, and we're doing just fine. :)

I second @Kelly_12 about the white noise machine. Maybe a nightlight, too? We don't have either, but we realized pretty fast that Kate was used to the noises and flashes of the NICU, and can't sleep when it's too quiet or dark. We usually leave the hall light on with her room door open, and have some sort of soft music playing for her or she on
  • Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"