September 2011 Moms
Options

Nursery organization - clothes

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyways.

How did you decide what you hang up in the closet vs what you fold and put in the dresser?  We have a very large dresser for LO's room that has 6 drawers in it.  Even if I put every single clothing item we had in it, I wouldn't even come close to filling it half way (we're team green so we didn't get a lot of clothes at the shower).

I see a lot of pictures of people's nurseries with stuff hanging in the closet and it looks so cute, but then I think "well what is in the dresser?"  I also HATE hanging up clothes with a passion and I can't imagine that I'll be all gung ho about hanging up sleepers and little outfits like that other than the first initial organization.

How do you ladies have your stuff set up?

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation

Re: Nursery organization - clothes

• Options
    The only things I hung up were little dresses and jackets. That comes to about 10 things. All the onsies and sleepers are in the drawers and the few pants that we have are in the drawers too. I also only have 0-3 month stuff out. The rest is in bags for now. The plan is to start swapping the sizes when she out grows the 0-3 month stuff.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The change table is actually in our room this go round so as not to disturb our other children in the middle of the night.  I have put all the onesies and pyjamas in the bottom of the table in order to change baby at night if need be.  I have washed and folded all other clothing and placed in the dresser according to size.  I figure I can rotate it when baby grows.  The only things that I have hung in the closet are new clothes that haven't yet been washed as well as buntings and winter clothes (snowsuit, hat, mitts).  I just don't see the point in hanging things up given that I will have the baby either on the change table or on the dresser when I am dressing him.  It just doesn't make sense to me to add extra steps to my day.  When we had DD though, I also hung all her dresses up in the closet.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The only things I hung up are dresses and "nice" shirts, jackets, and the two snowsuits that someone gave me.  Everything else is folded and put in drawers (onesies, sleepers, pants and t-shirts, socks, hats, booties, newborn mittens).  I also have sleep sacks and swaddlers in a dresser drawer.  There is also a little coat rack on the wall in LO's room that was there when we bought our house, and I have her 4 or 5 little hoody sweatshirts hanging on that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

lol, I wonder this too!

We have a huge amoire in his room plus the closet and only 10 little 0-3 mo outfits.  I have way too much storage.  I have a feeling his closet will be close to empty for a little while.

• Options

Thanks ladies!  I still feel silly for asking, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something obvious that I was 'missing' in terms of organization.

I know that once the baby is here we'll obviously start to accumulate a lot more stuff especially once we learn the sex, but for now, I should just embrace all the extra space we have.

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Options

We dont actually have a dresser yet, so all of this planning is subject to change.

Dresser has 3 drawers: top will be diaper related, other 2 will be clothing that currently fits.

Closet: small-ish closet has 1 rod and 2 high shelves. I have 2 hanging sweater bag type things (1 short, 1 long) that I plan to use for sheets, towels, recieving blanket, bibs, random odds and ends) and then store other gear on the floor in the closet. Clothes waiting to be used in bigger sizes will be in bags/bins on the shelves.

Probably going to hang just a few things like snowsuit/jacket.

Of course, the entire apartment may turn into baby gear chaos at times, which would leave some extra space in the closet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have all of the "current" clothes in the dresser...newborn sized and 0-3 months, etc. I folded dresses, sleepers, onesies, all of it. The closet is full also, but it's all bigger sizes and most of it is hanging since there is a very large closet rod in there. I am not going to want to hang the current sized clothing each time it's washed so this method should work best for me. As LO grows, I'll rotate the bigger sizes into the dresser and out of the closet.
  • Options
    imageefsNYC13:

We dont actually have a dresser yet, so all of this planning is subject to change.

Dresser has 3 drawers: top will be diaper related, other 2 will be clothing that currently fits.

Closet: small-ish closet has 1 rod and 2 high shelves. I have 2 hanging sweater bag type things (1 short, 1 long) that I plan to use for sheets, towels, recieving blanket, bibs, random odds and ends) and then store other gear on the floor in the closet. Clothes waiting to be used in bigger sizes will be in bags/bins on the shelves.

Probably going to hang just a few things like snowsuit/jacket.

Of course, the entire apartment may turn into baby gear chaos at times, which would leave some extra space in the closet.

LOVE this idea!

• Options
    imagesolsburyhill:

lol, I wonder this too!

We have a huge amoire in his room plus the closet and only 10 little 0-3 mo outfits.  I have way too much storage.  I have a feeling his closet will be close to empty for a little while.

Exactly this for me too. We have one of the top dressers full of diapers and wipes because the changing pad sits on top. Plenty of room in the other drawers for the clothes we do have and the closet is empty lol. I guess I didn't think about what to put in there, so I guess when I post nursery pics the closet will be bare!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I have a four-drawer dresser and a huge closet in the nursery. 

The dresser has:
    1 - misc. "junk" drawer of baby stuff (couple small toys, pacifiers, owners manuals to things we've put together - swing, stroller etc..)
    2 - NB-3 mos clothes
    3 - 3-6 mos clothes
    4 - 6-9 mos clothes

The closet has:
    Two hanging sweater-type organizers with towels, blankets, burp cloths etc...
    All 'must hang' dresses and jackets.
    And all the other stuff we dont need right away (bumbo, humidifier, ExerSaucer etc)

• Options

We actually don't even have a dresser in the boys' room.  Between the bookshelf, night stand, toy box, bed, etc., it is already so crowded.  They have a walk-in closet, and one side is DS1's and one side is the baby's.  All of DS1's shirts, dress pants, jackets, etc. are hanging, and I have a couple of bins on the shelf to store shorts, pajamas, and jeans/sweatpants.  I have all of the baby clothes hanging, except for shorts and sleeping gowns, which are in a hanging organizer.  In the back of the closet is an old bookcase with bins to store diapers, wipes, and blankets.  I much prefer hanging to folding, so it works out well for us. 

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I ended up hanging everything but white onesies.  We don't have a dresser, but we do have small drawers in the closet which I used for extra sheets, towels etc.  I don't know about others, but for me it is so much easier when everything is laid out and in order (sleepers vs day clothes vs nice outfits).  I think it will be much easier for my husband too when he gets the baby dressed. 
  • Options
    Since our LO is sharing our room until we move next year and her dresser is in our dining room, I won't be hanging anything up. I don't think there's a necessity to hang things up. Just my opinion, though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Our "dresser" is actually what was supposed to be a kitchen cabinet (long story short... the contractor measured wrong and we ended up with an extra cabinet). It has two small drawers and a big cabinet part underneath.

We're thinking about attaching a changing pad to the top. (Although my husband seems to think we can just "do it on the bed.") Probably going to use one drawer for wipes and the other for linens.

So... all the clothes will probably be in the closet. I'm guessing I'll hang most things and then get one of those hanging organizers. I've also thought about getting additional shelving or storage boxes. Still figuring it all out! 

• Options
    Thank you for asking this question!!!!  We're putting the room together right now for our LO, and I had no idea what to put where.  I don't have much storage in the room, aside from the dresser.  So I figured the dresser, which has lots of space for the clothes that we have.  I think that we'll actually use the closet for storage of items like towels, blankets, and "toiletries".  
    Mightemo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"