Pre-School and Daycare

Amoxicillian - Best flavors?

DS has strep throat. This is his 1st time on an antibiotic, Amoxicillian. At the pharmacy I saw the apple flavor featured and got that because DS loves apples.

Is there another flavor that's better? My gem of a husband blames my flavor selection for one of the reasons why my son doesn't want his medicine. (Reason #2 being that he took it in a syringe. DH was just going to put it in a cup and tell him to drink it. Simple as that. :-)

As it is, DS is still in a bit of a negative/defiant spell. He does not want a diaper change, he does not want to go inside, etc.

Thanks.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Amoxicillian - Best flavors?

• I think they flavor ours strawberry... I would think since your LO has never had an antibiotic before, it is less about the specific flavor & more about the whole thing, drinking down some chalky thick sweetened liquid, it is a new thing for him, etc... Do you keep it in the fridge? Supposedly that helps w/ flavor. GL!  We do sticker chart rewards when our kids resist medications & things like that.
  • Did you ever have it growing up? It is really good as is. When I was little and got sick I always was hoping I would get amoxicillin. It already has a flavor so I would think adding another on top of it would be gross.

By the third day my stubborn 1 year old would bounce up and down when I pulled it out if the fridge.
  • Loading the player...
  • And it is way better refrigerated!
  • Yeah, I think ours has always been flavored.  I bribe them with chocolate because they both think it's gross but will take it if a bribe is involved.

• I agree, it's probably fine as is (haven't tasted it myself - allergic - but it smells palatable to me). Your pharmacy should have a chart of common meds for which flavoring is recommended and which flavors work best with them. I think grape is usually a good bet.
  • I use the tip from Happiest Toddler on the Block and mix it with a shot glass size cup of pop. The only time my kids are allowed pop is when they have to take an antibiotic. Works every time, regardless of the medicine or the flavor, because the carbonation and sweet flavor of the pop masks the taste of the medicine. I get that some people won't want to give their kids any pop, ever, but I figure the equivalent of one can of pop over 10 days a few times per year won't kill them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is already flavored by the manufacturer so if you add a flavor it is mixed. And Walgreens charges but Target does not, so find out if they charge. But I don't see the point of adding a second flavor unless the child hates it.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"