Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping at work

Hi ladies! I posted something about this earlier on another board and found out that by law, my employer must let me pump while at work. I work at a school as a Therapeutic Support Staff provider, and work 8-3 M-F. I plan to return to work in 2 weeks- when my son is 8 weeks old, and need to inform HR and my supervisor that I will need to pump, but I'm not sure how to go about it, or how to word it so that it's professional. Any suggestions on what I can say??

Re: Pumping at work

• Options
    I'd say something like "I just wanted to let you know ahead of time before returning to work that I plan on continuing to nurse my child, there for I'll need a private room with a plug and a lock."

• Options
    I would add to pp's suggestion. Tell them how frequently you'll need to pump and how long it will take as well.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I'm a nurse and will be away from LO for 13hrs/day 3 days/week. I will need to pump often but am worried about how feasible it is, even though its the law. I could see an issue arising if something happened to one of my patients while I'm pumping, even with another nurse covering for me. It's something that I need to discuss with my employer in addition to telling them I need a room and time. Ugh!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options
    I would contact them sooner than later. I'm an elementary teacher, and told my principal about a month before I returned. His response was that he's had 14 teachers have babies at his last school (I was opening a new school this year...and had never worked with him before) so he was more than familiar with the situation and would provide me coverage whenever I needed it. Most likely even though this is new for you, they've probably dealt with it before. They know they legally need to let you do it, and even though I didn't think I could do it as a teacher....I've been pumping without any issues for awhile. GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    Thanks ladies for you help! All great advice! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"