August 2013 Moms
Options

GTKY: Thanksgiving recipes

Okay ladies, what are some of your favorite Thanksgiving recipes?

This year in honor of my momma, I'll be making her (insanely easy)

Cherry Delight:

Graham Cracker Crust
One package of Cream Cheese
Powdered Sugar (to taste)
One can of cherry pie filling

Mix the cream cheese and powdered sugar, pour onto pie crust, pour cherry pie filling over the mixture, refrigerate for a couple hours, Voila! (This was a family go-to recipe)

And in spirit of the upcoming holiday....image

Had our precious baby girl, Little Miss E, on August 14, 2013  143 → I.love.you.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo newb_zps36c606c5.gif

Re: GTKY: Thanksgiving recipes

• Options

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oo I love a good thanksgiving recipe!

Favorite appetizer is cranberry apricot dip.

1bag of whole cranberries
    1/2 cup apricot jam
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup chopped nuts (whatever you like, I use pecans)
    1package cream cheese softened

Cook cranberries with sugar at 350 for 30 mins or until cranberries are soft and juicy and bubbling. Mix in apricot jam until melted and add nuts. You can refrigerate and reheat before serving or serve right away by poring over the cream cheese (I usually spread the cream cheese out over the tray and poor mix over it evenly ) serve with crackers.

Just talking about it makes me want some ASAP!

Mommy to J: Born 5/11/2010 & B: Born 8/26/2013

• Options
    @jill9288 how do you wrap with the honey? Like on the inside of the cheese? Sound delicious!

• Options
    I made this last year. NOM

https://www.marthastewart.com/326881/slow-cooker-bacon-jam

Pineapple casserole is also big w/ my family:
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pineapple-casserole-recipe/index.html

And I LOVE this salsa. I pour it over whipped cream cheese and serve w/ pita chips
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cranberry_salsa/

I'm all about the sides

Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • Options
    @Jill9288 that app sounds delicious!
    @FeetFirst my mil would love that recipe (Don't worry it's a compliment I like my mil :) )

I also like to make this 7 Layer Pea salad, yum!

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/08/layered-salad/

Had our precious baby girl, Little Miss E, on August 14, 2013  143 → I.love.you.

• Options
    @feetfirst, you can mix a little in w/ the cheese, or, if you're lazy like me, just buy honey chevre :)
    Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • Options
    Jill9288 said:

Favorite app is goat cheese wrapped grapes; you form goat cheese and a little honey around grapes then roll in crushed pecans or almonds. I can eat an entire batch on my own

Love these! I make them with roasted pistachios and fresh thyme rolled on the outside.
    Also...drizzle a balsamic honey sage reduction on top, drool!!!
  • Options

This is another one of the favorites at our house, love it with my turkey. I am a huge cranberry fan, so recipes this time of year are always my favorite. I need to try that cranberry salsa posted above!

https://www.food.com/recipe/cranberry-raspberry-jello-salad-238799

• Options
    Two of my absolute favorites:

Cranberry Pear Sauce: https://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/11/cranberry-pear-sauce.html?m=1

Amazing stuffing!: https://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/11/moms-stuffing-lightened-up.html?m=1

We purposely host Thanksgiving, so I can make yummy food! DH's family strays from the traditional dinner, and I can't handle it haha!

• Options
    The Pioneer Woman's Sweet Potato recipe.... Find it and make it. You will thank me.
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• Options
    I make banoffee pie. It's super easy, but a bit time consuming. You'll need the following:
    1 graham cracker pie crust (or make your own
    2 bananas
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    A few teaspoons of white sugar

Take the sweetened condensed milk, put it in a saucepan, simmer on very low heat. Stir every 15-20 minutes using a wire whisk. Be careful not to burn it or it will become lumpy and you don't want that. Milk will become a medium brown color once the sugars carmelize and turn into toffee. Once the milk is medium brown and thick, pour into pie crust. Cover and put in fridge to cool. This can be done the night before so you don't have to wait. Once cool, cut up bananas and make a layer of bananas on top of the toffee, but save a few pieces for the very top. Mix heavy whipping cream with hand blender on high until it stiffens to make whipped cream. Add sugar to taste until the whipped cream is as sweet as you prefer. Put whipped cream over banana layer. Decorate too with remaining bananas.

This is the best dessert ever.
  • Options
    These sound great- I have to admit, I've never cooked a damn thing for thanksgiving. My mom has always hosted or my MiL and they cook/prep a lot of the meal the night before- I made homemade Mac N Cheese last year for Christmas but I don't mess with the matriarchs of the family! I do run around visiting 3-4 families that day because both our parents are divorced so that's my contribution (it's exhausting and won't be any better this year with the baby!). I might try @BabyE143 recipe and score some points! Thanks!
  • Options
    I made this the first thanksgiving I cooked about 7 years ago, it was such a hit I make it every year. I look forward to this more than any other food on thanksgiving

Chorizo Cornbread Stuffing

1 pound bulk chorizo*
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped carrots
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 batch cornbread, baked in a large pan (I use this recipe)
    1 to 2 cups vegetable broth
    2 tablespoons fresh chopped sage

Preheat oven to 350.

Brown chorizo over medium-high heat, breaking into small crumbles. Reserve drippings to add to stuffing or discard.

In a medium saucepan melt butter, then add carrots, onion, and celery. Cook until vegetables are soft and onions are translucent.

Break up cornbread into small pieces in a large bowl. Add chorizo, fat (if using), and vegetables. Mix so that everything is distributed evenly. Stir in broth a little at a time until you get consistency you desire – be careful to not turn everything to mush. Add chopped sage.

Spoon into a large baking dish and cook for about 45 minutes, until top is browned and starting to get crisp.
  • Options
    Great recipes, thank you all!
    My favorite is this brine recipe for the turkey, it makes a fantastic turkey.
    https://www.annies-eats.com/2010/11/04/roast-turkey/

And this from scratch green bean casserole. Worth the effort!
    https://www.annies-eats.com/2011/11/21/from-scratch-green-bean-casserole/
  • Options

I make banoffee pie. It's super easy, but a bit time consuming. You'll need the following:
    1 graham cracker pie crust (or make your own
    2 bananas
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    A few teaspoons of white sugar

Take the sweetened condensed milk, put it in a saucepan, simmer on very low heat. Stir every 15-20 minutes using a wire whisk. Be careful not to burn it or it will become lumpy and you don't want that. Milk will become a medium brown color once the sugars carmelize and turn into toffee. Once the milk is medium brown and thick, pour into pie crust. Cover and put in fridge to cool. This can be done the night before so you don't have to wait. Once cool, cut up bananas and make a layer of bananas on top of the toffee, but save a few pieces for the very top. Mix heavy whipping cream with hand blender on high until it stiffens to make whipped cream. Add sugar to taste until the whipped cream is as sweet as you prefer. Put whipped cream over banana layer. Decorate too with remaining bananas.

This is the best dessert ever.

Banoffee pie is the best dessert ever! Had it in London and fell in love. When I made it here for a family function my uncle actually said "I don't want to swallow because I'm loving what's in my mouth." Funniest thing he's ever said to me! Maritza, thanks for reminding me....guess I can take a break from Weight Watchers and make one!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not a recipe but a tip, if you cook your turkey 75 percent of your cook time with the breasts down, as in facing the pan and then flip it for the remaining cook time... Your turkey breast will turn out ridiculously juicy I promise!

image imageimage 

September Siggy Challenge : Favorite Childhood Movies ( Sorry I have two)

• Options
    My must have dish is my Mamaw's southern green bean casserole. I've never seen it made like this by anyone else.

You need:
    2 cans French style green beans, drained
    8oz sour cream (full fat, it's thanksgiving)
    1 can cream of mushroom
    1 package extra sharp cheddar, shredded
    Saltine crackers
    Butter
    Garlic salt

Mix sour cream & soup together. Add garlic salt to taste (about 1/2 tsp), stir in drained green beans. Pour mixture into large glass casserole dish.
    Add layer of cheese in top...yes, the entire bag. Crumble saltine crackers on top of cheese (I use about 1&1/4 sleeves).
    Melt 2 tbsp butter and mix in some garlic salt. Drizzle this over the crackers.
    Bake uncovered @ 350 for 45 minutes.
  • Options

Great recipes, thank you all!
    My favorite is this brine recipe for the turkey, it makes a fantastic turkey.
    https://www.annies-eats.com/2010/11/04/roast-turkey/

And this from scratch green bean casserole. Worth the effort!
    https://www.annies-eats.com/2011/11/21/from-scratch-green-bean-casserole/

I saved the brine recipe, sounds delish!!

@Maritza707 never heard of it but it sounds AMAZING.

• Options
    @nittanygirl28 How funny! I had it for the first time while studying abroad in England and Scotland! Part of our trip was a weekend in a tiny fishing village in the highlands just to get our teacher banoffee pie for her birthday at the local inn. That's where the simple recipe came from. :)

@babye143 It's glorious. :)
  • Options
    AprilRaineAprilRaine member
    edited November 2013
    I've been making these mini crab cakes as an app the past few years and everyone always hovers in the kitchen and gobbles them all up the moment I pull them out of the oven.
    https://www.annies-eats.com/2010/12/28/mini-crab-cakes/

ETA: @EricaLee2013, isn't Annie just the absolute best!?! Everything of hers turns out soooo good!
             image         image
  • Options
    I might just have to make banoffe pie today. :)
  • Options
    I made these dinner rolls a couple of years ago:

They were a lot of work, but totally worth it. 

I also have a great pecan pie recipe, but I'm having a hard time finding it at the moment. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    I have a kid dessert recipe. One of my grandmas made it for us every year and it's just fun if you have little ones.

Bonus: it doesn't involve any cooking and is super easy.

"Dirt" Pudding

Chocolate Pudding
    Crushed Oreos
    Gummi Worms

In individual plastic serving cups, (she used plastic martini type cups) layer chocolate pudding, then the crushed Oreos, then add 2-3 gummi worms.

• Options
    Just straight up mashed potatoes with some butter, a little bit of milk, salt and pepper.

Don't fix something that ain't broke!
    Aug.13 May Siggy Challenge: Moms
  • Options
    Add a brick of cream cheese to your basic mashed potatoes recipe. Makes them super creamy and not dry. You cant really even taste the cream cheese. Pissed my mil off with this one as my fil RAVED about them and no one talked about her super dry stuffing. Lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I love me some butternut squash with brown sugar and vanilla wafer topping. This is to die for!!!

Also some seafood salad
  • Options

Just straight up mashed potatoes with some butter, a little bit of milk, salt and pepper.

Don't fix something that ain't broke!

I hear ya! But my papa makes The Best mashed potatoes :) He adds a packet of cream of chicken soup (the dry kind). They go so well with the turkey and gravy.

One of these days I'm going to try them with hidden valley ranch packets but not for Thanksgiving :)

@ameliakris never thought of that but it makes sense!

• Options
    @EricaLee2013 I am always looking to try a new brine- glad to hear you love this one. I will be saving that website to try it! My fav recipe is Giada DeLaurentis's ciabatta stuffing. I love the texture of the bread and is loaded with flavor. My family BEGS me to make it for Thanksgiving and Easter. The only down side: the groceries for it are a little spendy. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/ciabatta-stuffing-with-chestnuts-mushrooms-and-pancetta-recipe/index.html
  • Options
    Last year, DH and I hosted and we did almost all of the cooking. DH loves to cook, so it was a major feast. I made pumpkin pie and apple pie, and he made this awesome cinnamon ice cream to go with:
    https://allrecipes.com/recipe/cinnamon-ice-cream/

We also made this Brussels Sprout Gratin and it was awesome!
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/brussels-sprouts-gratin-recipe/index.html
  • Options
    @janneann1127 I'm super impressed! You hosted, cooked everything & even made homemade ice cream! Wow!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"