Blended Families

Just found this

Okay, so I've done a bit more looking today and on an iowa legal aid website- found this:

(source) https://www.iowalegalaid.org/resource/questions-and-answers-about-custody-and-visit?ref=Ao8QC

"Who has custody when a child is born to an unmarried mother?

·        The mother usually has custody of her child if she is not married when the child is born.

·        The mother can make decisions for the child and has the right to take care of the child.

·        The father can "acknowledge" paternity.

·        This means he says he is the father.

If the father does this, then he and the mother both have rights to be with the child" 

Then: 

What does it mean to "acknowledge paternity"?

·        Iowa law does not define all the ways a man can "acknowledge" paternity.

·        The word "acknowledge" refers to when a man admits that he is the father of the child.

·        The man takes some action showing that he is the father.

·        This act could be:

·          

·      Signing a paternity affidavit

·      Signing the child's birth certificate

·      Providing support to the child and mother

·      Telling someone that the child is his son or daughter."

My DH has signed the birth certificate and provides child support to the state for his medicaid as well as has

verbally acknowledged paternity since birth. 

·        When paternity is acknowledged within a "reasonable" time after birth of a child:

·          

Both parents have an equal claim to custody, until a court decides differently""

And please correct me if I'm wrong- but because he's established paternity (see bolded) that until we go to court 

they both have equal rights- because that was my understanding of the above. Which means- she can't "take our rights away"

like she thinks she can. Which means the next time she threatens- we can say exactly that- She did not establish our rights- he did by 

acknowledging paternity- therefore it is not up to her to remove them unless she gets a lawyer and takes us to court. (Which we hope to do first

but sure as hell aren't going to indicate that to her). 

Thoughts?

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Just found this

• nurrieumnurrieum member
    edited November 2013
    Also- I'm aware of that ridiculous signature and I'm sorry, the page keeps crashing every time I go in and try to delete it. I'm working on it. Sorry, I know that's just ridiculous.

EDIT: I finally fixed it. Sorry.

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think you are correct but does the child live with BM most of the time? She can't legally take away his rights but she can pretty much get the same result by refusing to answer the phone/door and preventing DH from taking his child for visitation if she wanted. I suppose you could call the nonemergency police line if she starts doing this before the CO is finalized and see if there's anything that can be done.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • CurlyQ284 said:
    I think you are correct but does the child live with BM most of the time? She can't legally take away his rights but she can pretty much get the same result by refusing to answer the phone/door and preventing DH from taking his child for visitation if she wanted. I suppose you could call the nonemergency police line if she starts doing this before the CO is finalized and see if there's anything that can be done.
     See, SS spends the majority of his time with us, BM likes to do these little power plays from time to time. She also likes to drink- a lot and having her son cuts into that precious time. Typically, she's the one who only sees him once or twice a week.  Unlike the baby sitters she has to pay- we never say no and we're free. We can also just get him from school. IF she tries to take him- because of past health concerns we'll call for welfare checks (we're also pretty sure she smokes a lot of weed but can't be positive- we only KNOW for certain she likes admittedly to drink a lot)- and we'll file with "Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act" and going every route we can take. 

The biggest bottom line is however that she doesn't like being a mom. She doesn't know how to deal with it day in and day out. There's some mental instability there- that has always worked in our favor because she doesn't have a good family support system and doesn't want to keep him.  She likes playing mommy short term and certainly likes saving face to her friends but SS  has since birth always spent more time with his father. She can't hack it. So, if she tries this little game- I don't think it will last- but we're pretty much through with putting up with this BS altogether. 

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ginlyn0Ginlyn0 member
    edited November 2013

Ok, you say you have him more but who does he physcially live with the most. It can't be perfectly even and You can't count time away from BM with babysitters as time she doesn't have him because techincally he is still in her custody at that time.

Like does he spend more nights with you than in her custody (whether she is actually with him or not)?

From the way your law reads, it is similar to mine where without a custody order both parents have the same rights. Which means you could not allow her to have him back at anypoint and she could do the same. I definitely suggest getting a CO. I filed for a CO for my DD immediately because I didn't want her BD running off with her or keeping her from me and that also gave him set visitation so I felt comfortable with me handing her over to him and not worry about not getting her back.

The problem is you all have the same misconceptions a lot of people do in that the BM can take away your rights. She can't but you don't have anything protecting your rights unless you have a CO. She does not have any more right then you at this point, but technically at this point she doesn't have to let you have him either. Same the other way around.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• gin9874 said:

Ok, you say you have him more but who does he physcially live with the most. It can't be perfectly even and You can't count time away from BM with babysitters as time she doesn't have him because techincally he is still in her custody at that time.

Like does he spend more nights with you than in her custody (whether she is actually with him or not)?

From the way your law reads, it is similar to mine where without a custody order both parents have the same rights. Which means you could not allow her to have him back at anypoint and she could do the same. I definitely suggest getting a CO. I filed for a CO for my DD immediately because I didn't want her BD running off with her or keeping her from me and that also gave him set visitation so I felt comfortable with me handing her over to him and not worry about not getting her back.

The problem is you all have the same misconceptions a lot of people do in that the BM can take away your rights. She can't but you don't have anything protecting your rights unless you have a CO. She does not have any more right then you at this point, but technically at this point she doesn't have to let you have him either. Same the other way around.

Until today, he has physically been with us more. She takes him one to two nights a week. It's been that way for almost two years. She recently had surgery and has time off work so we think that's playing into it, actually she has yet to state she's angry enough to keep us from him.we live 5 minutes apart and he has preschool everyday, we can pick him up from there, we do it most of the time anyway. We're going to be getting a CO as soon as we can afford a lawyer. We know her, we're prepping for the argument if it arises and setting up contingency plans but the likelihood is we're not going to have to fight and we'll just take her to court as soon as we can.

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • wendilea said:

I needed that Iowa specific information!  Thanks!  It's good to know that without a CO, both parents are equal.

Sure :)

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • YES! You absolutely do have rites! This is what my lawyer told me.

XH got real pissy about having to pay child support. He honest to god talked about signing ove his rites but claimed he would still pay me himself. He hated the idea of the courts telling him how much and holding him accountable. I mentioned it laughingly to my lawyer and he scoffed at it. He said in Iowa, even tho you want to give up your rites you can't! The court will not allow a parent to bail on their child. Even if i agreed to let XH do that, the courts won't allow it to happen. Ever.

Honey, you and your husband have so much more power than you realize. Quit listening to her. Take the information and USE it against her. Hold your cards close tho. Do not let her know you are ahead of her. Thst way she cannot counteract you or be prepared in any way.

Honest to God i really do not think you will lose this one. Rack up your case for primary custody and go win this one.
    "he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • +just+j+ said:

YES! You absolutely do have rites! This is what my lawyer told me.

XH got real pissy about having to pay child support. He honest to god talked about signing ove his rites but claimed he would still pay me himself. He hated the idea of the courts telling him how much and holding him accountable. I mentioned it laughingly to my lawyer and he scoffed at it. He said in Iowa, even tho you want to give up your rites you can't! The court will not allow a parent to bail on their child. Even if i agreed to let XH do that, the courts won't allow it to happen. Ever.

Honey, you and your husband have so much more power than you realize. Quit listening to her. Take the information and USE it against her. Hold your cards close tho. Do not let her know you are ahead of her. Thst way she cannot counteract you or be prepared in any way.

Honest to God i really do not think you will lose this one. Rack up your case for primary custody and go win this one.

Thank you for the encouragement, I really appreciate it.
    We're going for it. Thank you!

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It sounds like you believe BM is unstable and not a suitable FT mother to SS.

In that case, here's what I would do:
    1) Get SS back in your possession.
    2) Enroll SS in preschool in YOUR area & list YOUR address as his home address
    3) Have a pediatrician in YOUR area for SS & list YOUR address as his home address
    4) Have a pediatric dentist in YOUR area for SS & list YOUR address as his home address
    5) If you guys have insurance for SS, list YOUR address as his home address
    6) Anywhere else that you will need to list SS's address, list YOUR address as his home address.
    7) By doing 2-7, you will make your home address SS's legal residence, therefore giving DH the upper hand in maintaining your home as SS's permanent residence.
    8) Next time BM asks to see SS, let her know that she is more than welcome to see SS, but she will either have to come to you or you will meet halfway, and that the visit will be supervised because you are afraid of her kidnapping SS.
    9) Immediately after BM asks to see SS file within the courts to get a CO in place. Waiting to do this will allow you to A) Establish your residence as SS's permanent residence, B) Give you time to save up money to pay for your lawyer, and C) Give you time to get all your ducks in a row and have all of your documentation in an easy-to-read format (for example, in two binders, one binder sorted of incidents that happened with BM by date, and the other by what happened with BM by category of what happened (i.e. "Times BM went more than x days without contacting or seeing SS," "Times BM kept SS from DH," etc.)
  • twister22 said:

It sounds like you believe BM is unstable and not a suitable FT mother to SS.

In that case, here's what I would do:
    1) Get SS back in your possession.
    2) Enroll SS in preschool in YOUR area & list YOUR address as his home address
    3) Have a pediatrician in YOUR area for SS & list YOUR address as his home address
    4) Have a pediatric dentist in YOUR area for SS & list YOUR address as his home address
    5) If you guys have insurance for SS, list YOUR address as his home address
    6) Anywhere else that you will need to list SS's address, list YOUR address as his home address.
    7) By doing 2-7, you will make your home address SS's legal residence, therefore giving DH the upper hand in maintaining your home as SS's permanent residence.
    8) Next time BM asks to see SS, let her know that she is more than welcome to see SS, but she will either have to come to you or you will meet halfway, and that the visit will be supervised because you are afraid of her kidnapping SS.
    9) Immediately after BM asks to see SS file within the courts to get a CO in place. Waiting to do this will allow you to A) Establish your residence as SS's permanent residence, B) Give you time to save up money to pay for your lawyer, and C) Give you time to get all your ducks in a row and have all of your documentation in an easy-to-read format (for example, in two binders, one binder sorted of incidents that happened with BM by date, and the other by what happened with BM by category of what happened (i.e. "Times BM went more than x days without contacting or seeing SS," "Times BM kept SS from DH," etc.)
    t

Thank you for the list, we just got the news we get SS tonight, she tired baiting me into a fight, that was a tick irritating but we get him, figures Friday night is party night. I also called a family law office, they have someone taking cases and we're going to talk to him, just see what he says. It may be possible to come up with money sooner so we'll see.thanks again.

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • How do we file to get a court order regarding custody without a lawyer, I see you mentioned that, would I go to the local courthouse?

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • nurrieum said:

How do we file to get a court order regarding custody without a lawyer, I see you mentioned that, would I go to the local courthouse?

Regarding this, obviously I cab research it, I just requesting some more info, I think that come off a bit presumptuous and I wanted to clarify.
    nurrieum said:

How do we file to get a court order regarding custody without a lawyer, I see you mentioned that, would I go to the local courthouse?

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would definitely try to get a lawyer if you can. But you can file without a lawyer, I'm not quite sure how, I think you just go to the courthouse and fill out the paperwork? Someone else will have to answer that for sure.
  • twister22 said:

I would definitely try to get a lawyer if you can. But you can file without a lawyer, I'm not quite sure how, I think you just go to the courthouse and fill out the paperwork? Someone else will have to answer that for sure.

Yeah, thankfully we've got a list of lawyers, made calls, and hubby and I did bills and I'm going to be saving what I make in overtime. Hopefully we can get this started soon,

This whole thing has had my anxiety ratcheted up very high. Ugh. Thanks for the support.

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Don't do it without a lawyer.

I don't know that I would tell her you are worried about her kidnapping him unless she really does threaten to.  She doesn't sound too smart so more than likely you'd be able to find her, and you can get court orders to get your son back.    Don't do anything to encourage her or put ideas in her head. Honestly though, I think as much as she threatens...it's just that. More bark than bite.  You are more valuable to her as a babysitter than she lets on.  So just let her do her thing. Don't criticize.  Don't take the bait.  Just be proud of the fact that you ARE going to one up her and you WILL get primary custody.  This is a no brainer and the court would be idiots not to give it to you  

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • +just+j+ said:

Don't do it without a lawyer.

I don't know that I would tell her you are worried about her kidnapping him unless she really does threaten to.  She doesn't sound too smart so more than likely you'd be able to find her, and you can get court orders to get your son back.    Don't do anything to encourage her or put ideas in her head. Honestly though, I think as much as she threatens...it's just that. More bark than bite.  You are more valuable to her as a babysitter than she lets on.  So just let her do her thing. Don't criticize.  Don't take the bait.  Just be proud of the fact that you ARE going to one up her and you WILL get primary custody.  This is a no brainer and the court would be idiots not to give it to you  

Thank you, once again I really needed to see that. We got SS, I saw on her Facebook that she's going out to the bar, so we figured right. She tried game playing us to get a reaction, putting him in old ratty clothes, passive aggressive comments, I didn't take it. We just arranged the pick up and got him. I knew her need for the bar would outweigh her wanting to spite us. I felt so bad for AS though, he was sad when we picked him up and was trying to communicate confused feelings. So, we talked about what fun things he did with his mom and that Daddy and I were happy he fun and that we'd all have fun too. Ten minutes later he was a happy camper. I know he sees the anger, and I'm sure he sees both sides regardless of how we try to
    it.

Yeah, we're not going to go take steps regarding kidnapping fears until we feel that is a more valid threat. We probably won't change his preschool eitherjust because I think he needs that structure.

We're looking at lawyers right now, we're being upfront that unless they have flexible payments we can't start this until tax time, we're going to see what they tell us.

I don't want her to have the power to ruffle me or make me bitter. This week has been an exercise in my self control and personal beliefs on love and forgiveness. I think we finally have the balls we need to get past the fear though. We put up with stuff for a long time because we thought it was the better way, we're seeing now that we were mistaken. I appreciate yours and everyones advice and encouragement, thank you.

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"