One & Done: Only child
Options

The Inner Battle of One and Done has Become the Outward Battle

So I have had the internal debate for quite a while about whether I want to have another child or not.  My husband has been on the fence, and I decided recently that while I would ultimately love to have another child, I couldn't subject my husband to that if he was decidedly done.  Soon after, I picked the right moment to tell him this.  I told him that I had been thinking about this subject for a while and would like another child at some point.  I also said if he says he is done, I will be disappointed, but I think I can work through that and I will still be happy with my little family.  I was surprised when he responded that he wants another child, but that he gets overwhelmed when he thinks about the time and energy that goes toward having another.  I told him that it's okay to not know and that siblings aren't everything.  He responded that having siblings can incorporate a lot of life lessons (this from a man who has almost no relationship with his sister, as they have been very different even from childhood).  I thought through this conversation "Well, okay.  Maybe he is leaning more the way I am..."

Cut to today.  We both had the day off, so we sent DD to daycare and spent the day together.  It went really well and we went to Pottery Barn Kids to get some bedding for DD's new room.  I hadn't been in there before and that place made my uterus skip a beat. I mentioned as we were walking out that places like that make me want another.  He responded with a laugh and said "You only think you want another!"  I thought I had made myself pretty clear a few weeks ago, so I was kind of hurt by his comment.  It felt like more of a projection of his feeling (now feeling done?) than mine.  He recognized the look on my face and said he saw that he upset me.  I said I felt disappointed, but as in our previous conversation, it was something I would work through.  We sat down to coffee and I told him that one of the hardest parts of being one and done for me was feeling like there is no support in our network - it is pretty unheard of to only want one kid.  He dismissed this and told me to think of the financial benefits to DD.  I felt really shutdown and did just that.

So tonight when he was asking me what was wrong, I tell him that I feel he is projecting his feelings on to me and that I almost feel like it is wrong to want another and to express that.  He starts saying that he feels I am pressuring him every time we talk about it (a few weeks ago was the first time we talked about it in at least a year!), he is offended that I tell him he is projecting his feelings on me.  Lots of tears on my part.  So I think we are definitely one and done, and really I would be okay with that (like I said, I am happy with my little family), but I feel like I can't process that with him or anyone else without causing arguments and tears.  I truly thought I approached it really well when I started bringing it back up and was just taken aback with his comments today.  It went so poorly today that I feel like I lost my entire support system through this process, which is why I'm on here now.  Help me, friends.

University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

Re: The Inner Battle of One and Done has Become the Outward Battle

• Options
    One of the best things I heard and remember (from this board I believe) is the fact that you are allowed to grieve about the family you thought you were going to have.  It's a process that I'm in right now.  I know in my head that we are OAD but it has taken a little longer for my heart to catch up.  There have been many tears and discussions with DH about this and he understands that it is not as easy as me saying, "Ok. We're done."  We're in the process of making him an appointment with the urologist for vasectomy.  Every day I think of 1 positive thing about having an only and am really just enjoying my son!  

Many of us have been in this situation and I know it has been so helpful to me to have a place to go and vent about this stuff because there isn't always someone there to chat with about this who can understand fully!
  • Options
    I agree with the PPs. My DH also thinks I nag when I bring up the topic. It's important to me so I bring it up from time to time. I'm not ready to give up on that idea. All I ask DH is to keep an open mind and not to completely close the window for a second child.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

@LibraryChica

Thanks for sharing your story!  I think you should still post here. ;)

I'm in a somewhat similar place: I think I would like another one, but one is really our limit with the way our lives are right now and our personalities.  Combine that with all of my son's therapies and my husband is 100% certain we are done.  I'm like 75% certain and, as someone else put it on another thread, the going back and forth "are we or aren't we?" is more torturous than knowing we are done or aren't.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"