December 2013 Moms
Options

How many u/s is normal?!

Just curious but How many u/s does everyone get or is it different depending on insurance? (Obviously if needed for medical reasons) I only had two With DS and two so far with this one I was never given a weight or anything like that the first go round.

Re: How many u/s is normal?!

• Options
    Two seems to be standard (a dating u/s and the anatomy scan), any more than that is due to special monitoring or medical history.
  • Options
    That's what I thought but on the ticker change so many ladies have wt estimates, was just wondering if I was missing something.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a FTM, but I've been given 3 so far. I'm assuming that's all I'm gonna get until I go into labor? One each trimester. Confirmation, gender, and growth.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I just had #15 the other day...I've seen a lot of people get a 3rd tri one. I actually wasn't supposed to, but had some movement issues and lack of weight gain as well.
  • Options
    Tuesday was number 22 for me.

Generally, I think it's between 1 and 3.
  • Options
    I had one confirming at 6 weeks, a 12 week nuchal translucency, and a 20 week anatomy scan.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Options
    I had one for gestational age at 8wks and anatomy scan at 18wks. Guess it all just depends
  • Options
    I have had one at every appt, I am not high risk, it's just the way my ob does it.
  • Options
    edeck516 said:

I have had one at every appt, I am not high risk, it's just the way my ob does it.

Dang, I wish mine did! Would love to see her now, she looked like a lil alien last time I saw her!!! Lol
  • Options
    edeck516 said:

I'd imagine that to be quite expensive if your insurance doesn't fully cover it. That's awesome though. It would be nice to see LO so often.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I had a bunch, I had a dating one at 8w, a quick office one at 10w bc doc couldn't find hb, the nt scan at 12w, the as at 20w, another one bc of a low lying placenta at 24w, I did an elective one at 26w to find out the sex since I didn't before, and than my 32w growth scan.

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edeck516 said:

Yep, me too. It just depends on your practice. Mine are only about 5 min tops, I think my more in depth ones like my a/s was maybe 10 min. So, yes, an ultrasound every appt, but not as in depth as most of you get at yours, probably. Also, I don't think I'm paying anything out of pocket for the ultrasounds. It's just part of the check up covered by insurance.

I don't know that he charges each one to insurance, I think he just does it to check everything, and he enjoys showing you your lo.
  • Options
    Basically, it just depends on your ob.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I had #9 at my last appointment. They were all Dr ordered, because if my history.  It does truly depend I think on your Dr and history.  I don't expect to have anymore until my LO gets here.
    BFP 9/10/12 m/c 10/26/12 BFP 2/10/13 Blighted Ovum m/c 3/12/13 
    Surprise BFP 4/15/13 Mark Anne Born 12/15/13 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Normally, I would only have one that my insurance pays for and I get a second 3D that my Dr's office gives to it's patients for free. I have had more this time because of certain medical concerns. The only reason I am getting a U/S to estimate weight this time is because my ds2 was large and had shoulder dystocia(I did not have a U/S to estimate size with him), otherwise I would not be getting one if he had had a normal delivery. As long as your fundal height is on track and there aren't any other risk factors, there's really no reason to have an U/S to estimate size. And they are just that, an estimate, so they aren't even that reliable, but it's better than nothing for some people.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Definitely depends on the pregnancy and OB. I think I've had 8 or 9, but I'm high risk. Two of those were 3rd tri growth scans. One thing is for sure, I'd rather have a normal pregnancy without so many u/s.

Displaying photo.JPGDisplaying photo.JPG
  • Options
    I had a dating one at 7 weeks and my a/s at 18. I won't be getting another unless something goes wrong. Bit disappointing not to see dd again, but at least it means my pregnancy is progressing without problems, so I'm thankful.
    image image

• Options
    We only had 2: the dating u/s and the a/s.
    image   image
  • Options
    My OB generally does 2, unless there's a medical reason for me. So the dating one around 8 weeks, and the anatomy scan.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't think there's anything you can say that puts the words "normal" and "pregnancy" in the same sentence. No two people will have the same answer. I've have 8.

• Options
    swirl25swirl25 member
    edited November 2013
    I've lost count by now, but I've had a bunch all doctor ordered as well - had an SCH in the beginning and now because of a umbilical cord issue they have to watch her growth (at least 7 or 8 so far, and I have one more coming up in 10 days). Both my pregnancies I've had to have extra monitoring (cord issues each time), so "normal" is all relative to me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    esf60 said:

I don't think there's anything you can say that puts the words "normal" and "pregnancy" in the same sentence. No two people will have the same answer. I've have 8.

Hmmm...true. I guess what I meant was a non-high risk pregnancy. I just wish I hadn't had to deal with the issues that I did and that my pregnancy had gone smoother than it did.

Displaying photo.JPGDisplaying photo.JPG
  • Options
    jaykay627jaykay627 member
    edited November 2013
    My doctor does a routine growth U/S at 35 weeks, which will be Monday for me. That will be my 10th. The first was at 4 weeks and 3 days in the ER due to spotting. Then I had a follow - up with my OB the following Monday because it hadn't stopped, but it was still too early to see much of anything. So they had me come back a week after that, which was when we heard the heartbeat (best ever), then another U/S four weeks after that to make sure LO was growing properly and check the size of the hematoma (reason for spotting and previous U/S). Then I had one that a coworker of my husband's did (he works in radiation oncology, so he has some U/S tech friends) to try to determine the sex, but LO didn't cooperate, so we did another one the following week. Then I had the anatomy scan at 19w4d. Also had an elective 4D, at which LO was yet again uncooperative, resulting in a complimentary repeat. So...yeah...I've had a lot. :/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've had 10 so far, and will have 3 more before my RCS. I had 7 or 8 with DD, but all but one were in the last month before she was born because of growth concerns. This time I've needed more monitoring since early on because of abnormal blood work on the first tri screen. I think it all depends on your doctor, some do multiple scans for everyone, some only do one unless there are problems that come up.
    Isabelle born via emergency c-section after her heart stopped 04.29.10
    asthma, astigmatism, amblyopia, allergies, tongue and maxillary ties

Noah born via RCS 12.09.13
    14q11.2 duplication, receptive language and adaptive behavior delays
    multiple health concerns under evaluation
    follow him here: www.facebook.com/lovefornoah

• Options
    I agree with PP, one to two seems pretty standard. Some places to a dating U/S in the first trimester and then the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. I had one at 5 weeks, 8/9 weeks for bleeding, 12 weeks, 14 weeks, 16 weeks (elective 3d scan), 22 weeks, 34 weeks (bc I switched from MW to OB practice) and 37 weeks (check on LO's presentation and size since I have a habit of having posterior babies). I certainly feel I've had an excessive amount of U/S but I had quite a few in the first tri because I had alot of bleeding issues.
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (zHjr)
  • Options
    I get one every week at this point. Second tri was once every 3 weeks and I had 3 or 4 in first tri.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My doctor had been doing them every week since about 20 weeks. I have had some issues though. They so measurements every other week and the off weeks are cervix and fluid checks.

• Options
    I got a dating one @ 8 weeks, the anatomy @ 20 weeks. We had to repeat the anatomy b/c she moved to much, so I had another at 24 weeks. Then with my borderline high blood pressure he did one at 32 weeks to measure growth. Since we found out I have low fluid I now will get one each week until she is born. I think most of it depends on any complications you are having, but 2-3 seems normal. 

• Options
    I've had 5.  At the a/s they didn't tell me the estimated weight but at my u/s to find out if placenta had moved, they estimated the weight.

• Options
    kyrstieskyrsties member
    edited November 2013
    Our OB gives one at 12, one at 20, and one closer to the end (37-38 Weeks) to check on whether the baby is breached and to estimate size. We got one at 7 Weeks this time around so they could check to make sure I was pregnant, and last time, I got quite a few more because my cervix is soft and they wanted to check for heart defects because of DH's family history. I think 2 is standard, but I depends on your OB. They can pretty much get anything approved through your insurance if they have a reason. If you want another one, just ask. That's what I did with our OB. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #1 - DD conceived April 2012, born January 10, 2013 
    BFP #2 - DS conceived March 2013, born December 20, 2013
    Two babies, 11 months apart! We're in for a ride!
  • Options
    In this area, just getting the A/S is standard. Not everyone even gets the dating ultrasound unless you know for a fact you have irregular cycles. So, I'm unusual in that I even got two!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"