Dads & Dads-to-be

Winter Illness Tally

So, with winter season coming, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread so we can track all of the illnesses that are going to crop up in each of our households soon. 

Right now we are playing a waiting game to see if the boy has Hand, Foot and Mouth.  When I got him to school this morning there was a new post at the door confirming 4 cases of it between his class and an infant class.  He has been acting out of sorts the last 24 hours, so we are really paranoid right now.

A sick baby on a weekend is no fun for anyone.

Re: Winter Illness Tally

• I think our youngest has a cold currently, but may also be teething his top fronts so, it may be tied in.

As far as Hand, Foot and Mouth goes, you'll know pretty early if that is what he's got... the blisters are a dead giveaway, if memory serves (oldest got it once), the blisters show up within 12-24 hours of him coming down with it.
  • @Coltsdad

Good to know.  I am sitting here in my office paranoid as hell that it is incubating in him right now.

• Loading the player...
  • Will this be some kind of competition to see who gets the most or least?

• @ladyjenna13

I don't know what the incubation period is, but if he's already feeling like he's under the weather, if its been more than 24 hours, I'd say he has something else.  Again, I'm going off memory, but I believe he got a slight fever and the blisters showed up pretty quickly after that... and there is no mistaking the blisters, they are rather large, red and primarily on the hands, feet and mouth (hence the name) but can also show up in his crotch.
  • My son started Day Care in the fall and has been sick a lot. Runny nose, Diarrhea, cough... no high fevers, so far, luckily!
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • @LuckyDad

That first year of daycare is brutal.  Our whole house was sick from November through February last year in the boys first time in daycare.  Very few fevers, but sick every single day.  No ear infections though, thank God.

• Yeah, my oldest was healthy as a horse until he went to daycare... then started the unyielding sequence of colds and ear infections (until he got his tubes in, that took care of the ear infections).  He got Hand, Foot and Mouth via daycare, and pretty much any major illness our oldest has gotten we can trace back about 2-3 days to his 1 day a week at daycare.
  • Coltsdad said:
    @ladyjenna13

I don't know what the incubation period is, but if he's already feeling like he's under the weather, if its been more than 24 hours, I'd say he has something else.  Again, I'm going off memory, but I believe he got a slight fever and the blisters showed up pretty quickly after that... and there is no mistaking the blisters, they are rather large, red and primarily on the hands, feet and mouth (hence the name) but can also show up in his crotch.

A Lindsay Lohan....ouch!

• We had an inner ear infection that we caught early last month.  I have a feeling that most of my son's ear infections will be from the inner ear, my side of the family have bad sinuses, my wife's side has ear infections.  I told the Drs that nothing will change this.  He still has excellent hearing so no ear tubes (they didn't work for SIL so no confidence that they will work for him).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Still no Hand Foot Mouth in our household, but the cases keep piling up at his school, so my wife is very paranoid right now.

He has a cold for sure right now, but with him you would never know the way he flies around and interacts with everyone. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"