Minnesota Babies

Anyone ever go to Lil' Explorers Thursday at Como Zoo?

I was thinking about going tomorrow. We've never been and I'm not finding a lot of info on their website about it. Anyone know what ages it is good for? My daughter is almost 22mos old.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Anyone ever go to Lil' Explorers Thursday at Como Zoo?

• akstanlakstanl member
    edited November 2013
    I finally came across an ad on their website for it and was able to find further info. Says it is perfect for the 1-3 year old.

Lil' Explorer Thursdays

BabyFetus Ticker
  • It is usually a lot of fun! Should be nice weather too.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • We might try it out! Is it by donation?
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We did go and will definitely be going again. It was a ton of fun. Along the long hall from the main entrance towards the conservatory they had all kinds of tables set up (toddler size) with different activities at each one. The activities ranged from play doh with bug stamps, stamping and paper to stamp on, sensory tables with sand and one with fake grass both with toy bugs in them. Matching games, counting, color matching, alphabet etc. There was also an area with carpets and things for the smaller ones. Soft toys and a "tree trunk" tunnel to crawl through. This week's theme was bugs. The story time is at 10:30 and 11:15 inside by the exit from the Tropical Encounters exhibit.

The story this week was The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I was impressed. They had laminated sheets they handed out that had the food that the caterpillar was eating throughout the book, a laminated caterpillar you could follow along with and it had a little cocoon on the bottom that made a pocket on the sheet and inside was a laminated butterfly. After the story she walked around the group showing off some big bugs in terrariums. It is the same story that is read at both story times, so you can go to either. The rest of the time is basically free play with whatever your little one wants to do.

Como Zoo is free, they have a recommended donation amount and big plexiglass boxes when you first walk in for the donation but not required. The event is also free.

We got there right at 10 and parking wasn't an issue at all. We parked right by the visitor center in the closest lot. I don't know if it was the topic of the week (bugs) or if it was a normal amount of people, but it really didn't seem chaotic or anything.

There were areas to park a stroller, or some people were pushing theirs around if they had a toddler and infant. There was also a coat rack. I thought the 10-11 time frame was much busier than the 11-12 time. We played for awhile, went to story time at 10:30, then walked through the Tropical Encounters to look at the fish. My daughter LOVES fish. Then we went to see the Koi pond in the conservatory and then played some more.

Definitely worth the trip and we will definitely be back again and again. Already planning to go next week and really looking forward to the Under the Sea theme the day after Christmas. I love that this is something I will be able to do with both kids when my newest bundle of joy comes along in Jan/Feb time frame.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm not off of work...but when this next little one arrives I'll be off of work all the time!! Well, punching a clock kind of work anyways. :)

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"