• @mrsgyaray "Unpopular Opinion"
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker      
                  image                   image

• mrsgyaray said:
    What is UO?
    Unpopular opinion, share one! :)

I have Christmas on the brain, since I just saw someone putting up directions (too soon, people). Mine is that I can't stand Christmas cards. I really can't.  I don't like them, and don't want them. They're a waste of stamps and money to me. Most of my friends know this, and don't send me any.  I don't hang them or anything.  They sit in a pile in the corner of my dining room.
  • AllyTales said:

mrsgyaray said:

What is UO?

Unpopular opinion, share one! :)

I have Christmas on the brain, since I just saw someone putting up directions (too soon, people). Mine is that I can't stand Christmas cards. I really can't.  I don't like them, and don't want them. They're a waste of stamps and money to me. Most of my friends know this, and don't send me any.  I don't hang them or anything.  They sit in a pile in the corner of my dining room.

I agree on both parts. I saw poinsettias in the store the other day .... Seriously? It's way to early to decorate for Christmas, my mums are still alive. I'm not replacing them just yet. Also, I never know what to do with all the Christmas cards. I feel bad throwing them away but am I suppose to keep them?

I know I'm a little bit of a Scrooge when it comes to Christmas. It was my moms favorite holiday and she died right before it so I've never gotten that excited about it since.

Fucking bump!!!!
  • LilNunz1 said:
    @AllyTales I hate cards in general. I look at them and they go right in the trash. I never understand people who put their birthday cards on display after age 10.
    You and me both.
    My mother is in this camp.  She puts all her cards up in her dining room- all over the walls, on the fireplace... all over.  It looks so dumb to me.  And half of the cards are seriously from people she hasn't seen in 20 years. WTF is the point?
  • I have a food one: I prefer regular stuffed Oreos over Double stuffed.

I also hate getting cards, especially for the kids. They can't read and don't give a shit about them. 

Baby 1 - 10/2010 | Baby 2 - 8/2012 | Baby 3 - 6/2014 | Baby 4 - EDD 8/2016 - MC 12-27-2015 | Baby 5 - : 9/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BPaws said:

Luncheon meat grosses me out. Like a lot. Bologna, processed, pressed meat.... Ugh. It really, really grosses me out. I don't mind meat like turkey breast or roast beef, but the idea of downing bologna makes me nauseated.

At the beginning of this pregnancy I craved fried bologna and cheese sand. I tried to eat one the other day I almost vomited, it was so nasty. Normally I don't like processes meat either, I'm kinda glad I don't like it anymore. That shit is NASTY!!!
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • MommyP710 said:
    Not all babies are cute.  There, I said it :P  I would NEVER tell someone their baby isn't cute.  And, I do get nervous that my own baby won't be cute just for saying that...but I'm sure because it will be my own baby they'll be plenty cute to me :)

And for the record, my own mother tells me (not in a mean way at all) that I was not a cute baby because I was so tiny that they used to call me chicken legs.  Once I got meat on my bones, then I was cute.  

Have you ever heard the saying "Ugly in the cradle...pretty at the table."?

I would agree...not all babies are cute in my opinion. I guarantee you will think your baby is :)

The Fight  Against Boredomimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • mullenem said:
    It should be acceptable to lock a toddler in his or her room until mom is ready to get up. This opinion brought to you by the mommy who only got to sleep at 1:30 and the toddler who woke up at 6:30. I'll come up with a real one when I am more coherent.
    Not unpopular...this is more a confession but we've sort of "trained" DD to stay in her room until we come and get her.  She can play with her stuffed animals or read or whatever but she rarely gets out of bed (toddler bed) and never goes out of her room until we come get her.

@mullenem, teach me your ways. Please.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• I had a great UO yesterday, and now I can't remember what it was :(

Anyways, I agree about the cards, I hate them.  Unless they contain money, don't send me one because I will throw it away as soon as I open it. (and even then, I will take out the money and throw away the card).  Cheesy sentimental cards are the worst too, at least funny cards are entertaining...
  • AllyTales said:
    snip
    Seriously! Respect the turkey! I don't think you should be allowed to start advertising/decorating for Christmas until after Thanksgiving.  And I REALLY dislike that so many stores are going to be open on Thanksgiving day for Christmas shopping.  What about the people that work there, now because someone wants to save money on a few things, those employees have to skip dinner with their families?  Not cool. 
    Agreed.  Christmas is my all time favorite holiday, but I feel it's coming earlier every year. I'm not in the Christmas spirit yet. I have no desire to go into stores hearing Christmas music. Does nothing but irritate me.

There's something wrong with going to Dunkin' Donuts and getting a pumpkin coffee in a Christmas cup, FYI.
  • Maybe I'm a little "scrougy" but as a nurse who is working both all day thanksgiving and Christmas Day, I don't feel all that bad.

Sure it sucks, but I do, so why should I feel bad because you have to too?

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016
    Rainbow & Babe #4 EDD 7.28.18

• LoHerrim said:
    I agree about the cards. Not only are they a complete waste of money (usually at more than $3 a piece), but trash as well! Unless it's a homemade card from my kid, I really don't want it. My UO is also about Christmas. Why am I obligated to purchase gifts for every child in our family every single year (we're currently sitting at 46 this year) when only TWO of those parents have ever gotten my kids anything, EVER? They rip open the gift, look at it, and toss it aside without so much as a thank you. I know Christmas isn't about what you get, but my poor kids have to sit and wait for their two presents while the rest of the greedy bastards in the family open up 40!
    If it's an "obligation" to buy presents for every child in the family then why are your two children the only ones left out?  That sounds awful!  If that were me I would definitely not be buying the other children anything.

In regards to cards - I'm the same way.  Look at 'em once, and then toss them.  Unless it's a painting or coloring from my niece, then it goes on the fridge :-)

My fiance on the other hand saves every. single. card. he gets in a box. Ugh.

imageimage

Baby #1 due June 5th, 2014

• Maybe I'm a little "scrougy" but as a nurse who is working both all day thanksgiving and Christmas Day, I don't feel all that bad. Sure it sucks, but I do, so why should I feel bad because you have to too?

I'm kind of the same.  I worked retail when I was younger and always worked Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday, and Christmas Eve, I got paid double time for working the holidays, so it was worth it.  It's just part of the territory for working retail, but they are the only people you see complaining about it.  No one seems to remember medical people, police, firefighters, even hotel staff, etc that work 24/7.  

It definitely sucks and was never very fun to work those days and I'm very grateful I don't have to now, but I just don't feel the outrage over it that some people seem to...
  • MommyP710 said:

Not all babies are cute.  There, I said it :P  I would NEVER tell someone their baby isn't cute.  And, I do get nervous that my own baby won't be cute just for saying that...but I'm sure because it will be my own baby they'll be plenty cute to me :)

And for the record, my own mother tells me (not in a mean way at all) that I was not a cute baby because I was so tiny that they used to call me chicken legs.  Once I got meat on my bones, then I was cute.  
    When I had my oldest I thought he was adorable. He was 8lbs swollen pretty bad, I had him at 41w3d. He stayed in the birth canal way to long his head was so deformed I had to keep a hat on him for over a week. I never saw any imperfections in him. Until I saw the pics of him in the hospital ..... OMG!!!!! What was I thinking???? We still laugh when we see those pictures. My son swears I was on drugs to think he was adorable at the time.

Fucking bump!!!!
  • I can't stand when parents talk about their kids in this way: "Well little Johnny is such a big boy. He's in the 99% percentile." To someone (me) who is not a parent, that means jack shit. It also makes you sound ridiculous. H can't stand it either... If I ever find myself talking like that, I'll be sure to bang my head against a cement wall. No one cares what percentile your kid falls in.

• I don't like when people will not let something go. I mean, is it really necessary to bring up something that happened years ago and is completely irrelevant right now? 

Also, I think stores should NOT be open on Thanksgiving. Let people spend time with their family! Being married to a military member and having to give up lots of family time is not fun. I realize it comes with the territory, but retail stores do not HAVE to be open that day. They can wait. You think four extra hours is going to make that big a difference in the scheme of things? But then again, our sad, sad society is too focused on their stuff instead of what really matters.
    I guess the crux of it is I'd be more annoyed with the customers shopping those days, not the stores for being open.  Then again, I do not understand Black Friday shopping at all.  I've done it once, at like 3 in the afternoon, and the deals are just not good enough to deal with that kind of crap, let alone the crazies that get up super early to be there when stores open.  
  • Maybe I'm a little "scrougy" but as a nurse who is working both all day thanksgiving and Christmas Day, I don't feel all that bad.

Amen.
    Signed, the nurse working Christmas Eve and Christmas
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Pepper6 said:

Maybe I'm a little "scrougy" but as a nurse who is working both all day thanksgiving and Christmas Day, I don't feel all that bad.

I'm kind of the same.  I worked retail when I was younger and always worked Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday, and Christmas Eve, I got paid double time for working the holidays, so it was worth it.  It's just part of the territory for working retail, but they are the only people you see complaining about it.  No one seems to remember medical people, police, firefighters, even hotel staff, etc that work 24/7.  

It definitely sucks and was never very fun to work those days and I'm very grateful I don't have to now, but I just don't feel the outrage over it that some people seem to...

---------

I think the point is that doctors, nurses, police, fire and jobs like hotel workers and some food service are necessities. Buying a sweater at 50% off is not. But I do think that it's also a cultural shift in this country to believe that we SHOULD be able to shop on holidays for big deals, and an unfortunate one at that. But there will always be a crowd of people lined up to get that TV first, cheapest and NOW! because of this shift in thinking.
    Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • LoHerrim said:
    I don't like when people will not let something go. I mean, is it really necessary to bring up something that happened years ago and is completely irrelevant right now? 

Also, I think stores should NOT be open on Thanksgiving. Let people spend time with their family! Being married to a military member and having to give up lots of family time is not fun. I realize it comes with the territory, but retail stores do not HAVE to be open that day. They can wait. You think four extra hours is going to make that big a difference in the scheme of things? But then again, our sad, sad society is too focused on their stuff instead of what really matters.
    I guess the crux of it is I'd be more annoyed with the customers shopping those days, not the stores for being open.  Then again, I do not understand Black Friday shopping at all.  I've done it once, at like 3 in the afternoon, and the deals are just not good enough to deal with that kind of crap, let alone the crazies that get up super early to be there when stores open.  
    My sister just informed me that our thanksgiving dinner must happen before 2 so she can go Black Friday shopping at 6pm THANKSGIVING NIGHT! What's up with that? Isn't Thanksgiving supposed to be about spending time with your loved ones and being thankful? I hate shopping. I guess that's another UO. I said it. I. Hate. Shopping.
    I wouldn't be mad at the customers.  It's opened. Not their fault.  I don't think they should be open at all, mind you, but if they are... they are.  I'd actually go as far as to assume that the retail workers want customers.  My sisters H used to work retail and he hated boring days and shifts. If he had to work the holiday, he wanted people there.  Otherwise, he got pissed he had to be there when NO one was there, that's pointless.
  • I despise shopping and have internal meltdowns in stores. I wear all my clothes until they're falling off me, and last winter I threw away a bunch of my sweaters with stains and holes, and so now I have no sweaters to wear, and have to shop. I keep going into stores, searching for things, and then feeling like crying and walking out with nothing.

I so envy people with lovely wardrobes who look so put together but i just have no patience and desire for building a wardrobe.

I couldn't have said this better myself. I am the exact same way. I am also notorious for finally finding something I like, walking around the store with it for an hour, and then talking myself out of it. Ugh!

My UO is I just don't understand people who drink soda first thing in the morning. You drink coffee in the morning... not Dr. Pepper!

• I love Christmas anytime of the year. We watch Christmas and Halloween movies year round. I also love Christmas cards--well the photo ones in particular. I love seeing all my friend's cute families. 

My DH is  a real scrooge about Christmas stuff and so we sneak watch it when he is not around. 

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• AllyTales said:
    LoHerrim said:
    I don't like when people will not let something go. I mean, is it really necessary to bring up something that happened years ago and is completely irrelevant right now? 

My sister just informed me that our thanksgiving dinner must happen before 2 so she can go Black Friday shopping at 6pm THANKSGIVING NIGHT! What's up with that? Isn't Thanksgiving supposed to be about spending time with your loved ones and being thankful? I hate shopping. I guess that's another UO. I said it. I. Hate. Shopping.
    I wouldn't be mad at the customers.  It's opened. Not their fault.  I don't think they should be open at all, mind you, but if they are... they are.  I'd actually go as far as to assume that the retail workers want customers.  My sisters H used to work retail and he hated boring days and shifts. If he had to work the holiday, he wanted people there.  Otherwise, he got pissed he had to be there when NO one was there, that's pointless.
    I guess I don't get not blaming the customers for this shift (and I agree with @twistsandturnsto2 that it is a cultural shift). If they didn't come in and spend money it wouldn't be profitable for the stores to open earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving. There'd be no point to the store owners to pay to have the lights on and absurd amounts of staff there is there weren't customers in the store buying stuff. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
  • Maybe I'm a little "scrougy" but as a nurse who is working both all day thanksgiving and Christmas Day, I don't feel all that bad. Sure it sucks, but I do, so why should I feel bad because you have to too?

--------- I think the point is that doctors, nurses, police, fire and jobs like hotel workers and some food service are necessities. Buying a sweater at 50% off is not. But I do think that it's also a cultural shift in this country to believe that we SHOULD be able to shop on holidays for big deals, and an unfortunate one at that. But there will always be a crowd of people lined up to get that TV first, cheapest and NOW! because of this shift in thinking.

I agree, I think it's stupid that stores are open, but I think it's even dumber that people go.  My 'point', I guess, is that I just can't find it in me to get all up in arms about it when there are a lot of people who have to work those days.
  • My UO is its never too cold to play outside. I packed my 15 month old into his hat, mittens and winter coat and let him play outside today, it's 40 degrees. So it wasn't freezing. I can't stand it when parent say its too cold for their children to play outside. With the exception of weather warnings (ex= negative 30 degree wind chill,)
  • AllyTales said:
    LoHerrim said:

I guess I don't get not blaming the customers for this shift (and I agree with @twistsandturnsto2 that it is a cultural shift). If they didn't come in and spend money it wouldn't be profitable for the stores to open earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving. There'd be no point to the store owners to pay to have the lights on and absurd amounts of staff there is there weren't customers in the store buying stuff. 
    But do you think it's the customers, or the store owners/cooperate? The store owners originally make the hours (or cooperate, more likely).  At one point, there were NO holiday hours FOR the customers to be there for people to say "well if there were no customers.." ..  the customers couldn't have been there.  It was higher up in the chain (corporate) that decided at some point and assumed customers WOULD like it if they were open. THEY are the greedy folk.
  • mrsgerman said:
    I don't understand the point of being team yellow. To me it seems gift grabby. Like the parents want to know but don't want to be bombarded with boy or girl clothes and instead receive practical items. I also don't know how anyone who is team yellow can know and not slip up on a regular basis by calling the baby he or she in public. 
    I've already accidentally referred to them as both boys and girls. I don't know and won't. 
    I don't even know how to respond to the gift grabby part. I think in general we forget that for a very long time people didn't know if the soon-to-arrive baby would be a boy or a girl and still managed to purchase baby gifts just fine.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
  • We draw names every year for my siblings ( there are 9 of us) and then for my extended family ( also a huge bunch) we do like a white elephant gift exchange. Hubby's family is pretty small so we just get everyone something small.

My UO is that my parents have to stick their nose into every part of our life and I really would love for them to back off especially before the baby is born because I know they won't agree with how my husband and I plan on raising him or her. I also don't want anyone at the hospital except me and my hubby and that is NOT going to go over well!

Married since June 2012
    TTC Baby#1 Since 2012
    BFP 10-11-13 / Saw HB(110bpm) on 11-4-13 / Miscarried @ 8wks (11-18-13)
    Started Charting and TTC again Feb.2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"