High-Risk Pregnancy

GD can be so complicated..

How do you ladies do it with all the pregnancy cravings? I started the diet a week and half ago. So far I have been doing ok, but temptation is everywhere. Holidays are coming and I can't believe I feel like I will be missing out on everything. I know, I am such a whiner and complainer. Sorry.

Needed to vent out. If you ladies have any tips please let me know.

Thank you

Re: GD can be so complicated..

• It's such a PITA!! I complain everyday and feel,sorry for myself all the time. I'm getting on my own nerves! I have had a few fun sized candies here and there. Usually just one with almonds. Once in awhile half a donut . Still I really want potatoes, tortilla chips, pasta and to be able to eat without feeling scared that I may have a high number. Hang in there!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers photo 11E5F5F6-4D0F-49E1-B9B6-320CF42213BE_zpspw0gd9zw.jpg photo 4dcf6524-f3e2-4099-82e2-545cd6740157_zpsb9a1d5a3.jpg
  • If I eat a lot of protein (esp. red meat), plus a salad, I can have a small treat. Going for walks after eating seems to lower blood sugar. In the past 3 weeks, I had one cheat meal, and after seeing my blood sugar sky rocket, I figured maybe I'll only do the cheat meal once in November (Thanksgiving) and once in December. The numbers scare me out of cheating!

Biggest thing that has helped me: eating only veggies, high fiber carbs, lots of protein and a digestive enzyme. No one is putting together the poor digestion/high blood sugar causation. A doctor told me about it, and since I started taking Biogest after each big meal, my blood sugar improved greatly (but I have had terrible digestion this entire pregnancy).

Hang in there though. I'm packing my labor & delivery bag with brownies & cookies! And somebody better go run & buy me a Portillo's cake shake after this baby is out!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor even said if you just have to cheat note it in the log and try to just have a little and not too often. So like OP I would on occasion have a few bites of dessert and usually the craving would be satisfied and numbers wouldn't be crazy. It keeps me away from the sweets too because if I have even a few bites of something sweet now LO moves like crazy and at 38 weeks it hurts! ;-)
  • If you're really craving something I'd suggest having it after you test after dinner.  Your body will have lots of time to process it before you test the next morning.  But just don't have too much.  Also, have you tried sugar-free treats?  I'll be honest, some are gross but most are pretty good! Those will help satisfy your cravings and won't spike your sugar too much.  If you've just started your diet just hang in there.  It gets better, I promise.  It just takes a lot of trial and error.  Good Luck!
    imageimage
  • What are some of your cravings? I've found so many women on here have fake treats that are GD friendly, but satisfy the craving.

The one thing I haven't found a replacement for is fruit. Last pregnancy all I wanted was fruit and my BG just couldn't handle it.

Chocolate and salty treats, though, I have some ideas to help!

It does get easier with the diet, just takes some adjusting :)
    imageimage
  • If I am craving a treat, I usually wait until an hour after eating a clean meal to make sure my levels aren't high. If I want to indulge in a dessert, I will add a 15-30 minute walk to the equation. It really helps to lower blood sugar levels. I've had a few high numbers here and there since diagnosed, but my MFM doc said it doesn't have to be perfect. As long as LO is not measuring above 80-90% everything is okay. Of course, every doc is different!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage

• Whenever I am tempted, I just picture the high bloodsugar reading I will get if I eat that thing.  Do you have a glucometer?  How often do you test?  I test 4 times a day (fasting, and two hours after each meal) so I am held accountable for each meal.  But if I were to not test, I can definitely see how cheating might be more tempting because I wouldn't see the ramifications from cheating.

Also, are you getting any exercise?  I wasn't at all, but just went on vacation and did a lot of walking and my bloodsugar was still great despite having to eat every meal out and not being able to plan as well.  I don't suggest overeating and compensating with exercise all the time, but say for Thanksgiving, maybe indulge a tiny bit, and then go for a good walk after dinner to help even things out.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Also to add, I second the bites here and there.  I love pop, I craaave pop all the time.  I was bad and had one with dinner last night and my BS reflected it and then I felt like crap.  But occasionally during a meal I'll swipe a sip of MH's pop and that satisfies the craving, but one sip doesn't affect my numbers.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Thank you ladies! I am sure taking every suggestion out there. I have to check my blood sugar 4 times a day, fasting and 1 hour after meals. It's very disappointing when one number is high. I stress out and it affects me the rest of the day. Started walking a lot more and it gives me some confidence when I comes to taking my test.

Had a doctors appointment today and doctor told me everything is looking great. I have lost some weight and kept it off in last two weeks or so. Was very worried about my LO size and doctor said she isn't big at all.

Things seem to be getting a bit easier. I feel so guilty when I cheat a little and freak out when I have to take my test.

Thank you all for your suggestions! Now to eat a slice of chocolate cake! Kidding. ( I wish lol)
  • It does get easier with time! I have a tough time with breads--I want a bowl of cereal or a bagel SO bad!! I am also hungry all the time. 

• Today I had a brownie, no joke. I made it with almond flour & Splenda so it's virtually carb free and tasted really good! Definitely curbed my sweet tooth. An important thing my dietician told me is that it doesn't matter where the carbs come from just the amount so our bodies don't know the difference between bread or a cookie just look at how many carbs are in something and eat accordingly! To the woman who wanted a bagel I eat a mini bagel with peanut butter or cream cheese all the time for breakfast & my numbers are good! We don't have to starve ourselves, we can eat carbs just not in high quantities!
  • ckymer1 said:
    Today I had a brownie, no joke. I made it with almond flour & Splenda so it's virtually carb free and tasted really good! Definitely curbed my sweet tooth. An important thing my dietician told me is that it doesn't matter where the carbs come from just the amount so our bodies don't know the difference between bread or a cookie just look at how many carbs are in something and eat accordingly! To the woman who wanted a bagel I eat a mini bagel with peanut butter or cream cheese all the time for breakfast & my numbers are good! We don't have to starve ourselves, we can eat carbs just not in high quantities!
    It absolutely does matter where you get your carbs from. Your body can process whole wheat/whole grain carbs much better than refined white carbs or white sugar. Any dietitian should be telling you to choose whole wheat/whole grain breads, bagels, english muffins, pastas, brown rice, etc., steer clear of white breads, pasta rice, etc., and watch how much white potatoes and corn you are having as they both count as starches, too. No one is saying we have to starve ourselves, but we do have to make smart choices about the carbs we are eating. A brownie once in a while won't hurt, but in general we need to be eating good, healthy carbs, not refined, sugary stuff. 
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with all of the PPs. A cheat meal here and there won't hurt, especially if you walk afterwards. I have an active dog so that helps my numbers tremendously! Even when I don't feel like going out he inspires me. Besides, there is a list my SO has of goodies I must have during my hospital stay... starting with chocolate frosted butter cake with 1 fork of course. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 6/9/13... here we go again
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"