May 2012 Moms

Mr Potato Head, Memory, Elmo... Christmas Help?

LOL  What are you getting your LO for toys?  I'm not a huge toy fan, but after having a slightly sick kid this weekend, I'm def on the hunt for a few more interactive toys for her/us.  Is 19 months too young to start playing memory?  I love that game and think it's awesome for little kids.  What other "board" games are out there for toddlers?  I think maybe a Mr Potato or Mrs would be fun... and cheap!  LOL  Also, what is your take on character toys/figures?  Kid freaking LOVES Elmo but a part of me doesn't love that she is SO into it at 18 months!  Do I throw my hesitations to the wind and buy her a soft Elmo for Christmas?  I just hate like the materialistic hoopla.  We already bought her a kitchen and some building blocks but looking for a few more small items...
TIA!

Re: Mr Potato Head, Memory, Elmo... Christmas Help?

• My LO loves Mr. Potato Head. She plays with it all the time at daycare so we are getting her one for Christmas. She makes some pretty funny Potato Heads too since she puts the eyes in the ear hole more often then in the right spot. 

Also on our list are some more puzzles and I recently found some neat Melissa and Doug animal magnets at Target that we are going to pick up. She also loves cars and trains so we are getting her more of those for her stocking. 
  • Puzzles! Both my kids love them. DD with the block M&D ones and we'll be getting DS some harder 24piece ones.
    Other little things - art supplies, new bath toys, dump truck, Legos/mega blocks.

image   image

• Loading the player...
  • Oh, and my DD recognizes Elmo, loves him, and has never seen an episode of Seseme Street. It's weird. Same with DS and Batman, never seen it but puts his apron on backwards and yells "I'm the batman" while 'flying' around the house.

Get her a plush Elmo - she'll love it. :)

image   image

• najzomaxnajzomax member
    edited November 2013
    We are getting DD a fisher price brand magna doodle and a CAT train set. We try to stick to a max if 4 gifts: something she needs, something she wants, something to wear, something to read. The magna doodle is here need because we need something she can play with in the car. I also try to avoid any of the brands that seem to be over commercialized like Dora, Disney princesses, and Sesame Street when I can. I can't completely avoid it but I try. That said, DD has a princess pool (from gramma) and a sleeping time Elmo from her aunt. I have also gone so far as to ban Barbie of any kind. My relatives think I am cruel and insane but I am sticking with the Barbie ban until she is old enough to ask for one on her own.
  • najzomaxnajzomax member
    edited November 2013
    Here are pictures of the magna doodle and train set. I like this one over the magna doodle brand one because the other one has small pieces she could swallow. This one only has the pen which is attached with a string.
  • Duplo train set and maybe an aqua doodle.
  • We are VERY into Christmas here

Lucas is getting Mr Potato head from his aunt, from us a little people barn, color wonderful I LOVE LOVE THAT STUFF!! Books bath stuff a pillow, pillow pet from an uncle, other stuff can't think of now
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • YES!  lol love these ideas and glad i'm not the only "mean mommy" who isn't a huge fan of commercialized characters!  I love the magna doodle idea and actually a work friend of mine gave me the same idea this morning!  i also like that 4 gift idea.  esp considering she's the only grand baby so i'm SURE she's going to get a ton of stuff!
    On her amazon list I also have a bunch of Melissa & Doug puzzles (not the um, shape type ones, the ones that are like real 24 piece puzzles) and a bunch of arts & crafts stuff.
    thanks ladies!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"