Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

XP: flying with baby id question

We are flying with DD to Disney on Nov 1. As I look on TSA's website, they don't mention anyone under 18 needing ID. However, as I look on Allegiant's (the air carrier we're using) website, it mentions needing a copy of DD's birth certificate. I don't have a copy of it, as I never remembered to mail in the form. Has anyone else needed this when flying? I can get a copy in time if I need to, but I was just wondering if it's really necessary and if any one else has ever had to have it?

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

Re: XP: flying with baby id question

• Options

I'm in Canada so might be slightly different but the airline we used also said we needed to have the original birth certificate with us.  No one ever asked for any ID for her.  She was a lap baby though...might be different if you have her own seat and her own ticket.

I would caution you though, as if they do ask for ID and you don't have it then they have the right to refuse your baby...and I would assume you then would also not fly (unless you leave baby in airport lol) and the airline would NOT have to refund your ticket price or rebook your flight etc.  So, while I suspect it is rare they ask for the ID, it is a costly chance to take!

• Options
    I was asked for DD's when flying Southwest. I guess they wanted to verify her age since she was flying as a lap child. Every other time we weren't asked, but DD also had her own seat.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    To be safe, I would go ahead and and get it. I've flown with my LO a bunch of times now, and it's been hit and miss with needing his id. Course, we were traveling internationally one of those times, so he had a passport, but within the States we'd been asked (and he's always been a lap baby).

No harm in having it, you'll probably need it in the future anyway:)
  • Options
    We travel all the time and the only airline that asks is Southwest, and for lap children. If you can get it you should but I would be surprised if you needed it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks ladies...I went down to the health dept and got one on my lunch break since several people said they'd be asked for it... I was just curious as it had never occurred to me that I might need some sort of ID for DD.

• Options
    We just flew United and didn't get asked.  But our friends who also flew United were asked.  I would bring it.
  • Options
    We've been asked once and not asked once. I always take it because its easy enough to pack to ensure no issues.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We've done two round trips with DD as a lap child and never been asked.  I was surprised particularly the second time because she was nearly two and is tall for her age, but they didn't bat an eye.
  • Options
    we've flown two round trips with DS, 4 mos and 9 mos.  I brought the cert both times, and we were never asked for it.  he was a lapseat both times.  we flew us airways both times.
  • Options
    yes, you will need a birth certificate. I got mine online and paid an extra fee. They were able to ship it to me ASAP. You can expedite the process too for a fee.
  • Options
    sorry vitalcheck.com is the site I used. I could have done it the snail-mail way, but I was freaking out that it would take too long since I just never got one after DD was born either.
  • Options
    wells2010 said:
    sorry vitalcheck.com is the site I used. I could have done it the snail-mail way, but I was freaking out that it would take too long since I just never got one after DD was born either.
    After I posted this, I actually found out I could pick up a "short" copy from our local Health Dept so I did that same day. I will send off for the original copy eventually, but I never remember to do it when I'm home to do it.

• Options
    LauraT25 said:
    You don't need a birth certificate in the US if your baby has his/her own seat. It is, however, required by some airlines to verify the age of lap children (which are not recommended anyway for safety reasons).
    She's going to be a lap child- there's absolutely NO WAY she'd sit peacefully in her car seat for that long (it's only an hr flight, but she HATES her car seat)

• Options
    LauraT25 said:
    And since we are talking about a safety issue, that whole 'she won't sit peacefully' excuse just doesn't fly with me.  Sometimes K doesn't want to go in her car seat in the car, but that doesn't mean I just say, "Okay you win! You can ride on my lap!"  I know that not everyone agrees that a car seat on a plane is necessary (even though the FAA and NHSTA would disagree), but I'm just pointing out that your logic isn't exactly bulletproof there.
    To each their own I guess....if she screams her head off in the car, she's not disturbing anyone but me and I will deal with it. If she screams her head off in an airplane, she will disturb a whole plane load of people and possibly get us kicked off the plane before we get off the ground- and additionally, I don't really have the $$ to shell out for her to have her own seat....it's not the ideal situation perhaps, but as her parent, I am comfortable with my decision.

• Options
    I have flown with Delta and US Air and have traveled via Amtrak and have never been asked for a birth certificate. I can understand if your LO is close to the 2 year old cut off bc they want to make sure you're not scamming the system, but an infant in arms should be fine. Also, if the LO will be a "lap child", make sure you call the airline and add them to your reservation.
  • Options
    Also, my daughter has been on 16 flights (she's 9 months) and she has gotten fussy on,y a couple times. I nurse her on take off and landing and she usually sleeps in between. I also get a window seat and she likes looking out the window. I always stress out leading up to a flight, but she does great and I get many compliments from passengers around me and flight attendants. (Have only gotten a nasty look once, while in first class, but that pgr got over it!)
  • Options
    My 14 month old just got her 20th passport stamp yesterday morning. We have never used the lap child option. She has also never been on a domestic flight. It extremely dangerous for your child, you and other passengers in cases of turbulance. Thy can be thrown and critically injured or killed. There has also been plane crashes where the only person killed was the lap child. If you check a car seat it should be replaced as it is considered crashed. You don't know how it is treated.
  • Options
    I've always been asked for ID. DD had a passport when she was 3 months old so it's been easy but we would have needed her birth certificate. We had her carseat when we moved to Manila from DC but she spent all of 3 hours in the thing. We've been on 3 other flights and she's spent almost all her time as a lap baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"