Parenting after a Loss

Lurking from PgAL... Hospital bag

Hey ladies! So I'm trying to pack me and Z's hospital bag and I have no idea what I'm doing! Lol What did you ladies pack? Must haves? Things you wish you didn't bring? Any suggestions? Tia! :)

TTC since August 2011
BFP#1 3/16/12 EDD 11/21/12 Delivered 6/1/12 at 15 weeks 2 days
"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together... Keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." ~ Winnie the Pooh

BFP#2 4/14/13 EDD 12/24/13 Please be our rainbow after the storm!
Beta#1 @ 15dpo 274, P4 16.9 Beta#2 @ 18dpo 940!! Doubling time of 40 hours!! u/s @ 6w2d showed a beautiful HB of 120! u/s @ 10w1d HB 174!! Grow, LO Grow!! Found out 7/22 we are TEAM BLUE!!
Zaiden Harper was born 12/22/13 at 1:46 am. 9lbs 8oz and 22in
~*~AL Always Welcome~*~
imageimage
Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Lurking from PgAL... Hospital bag

• I actually packed pretty lightly.  I brought a big zip up hoodie and was so grateful I did.  I was freezing in the hospital.  I had a nursing tank and a pair of yoga pants I wore the day after delivery and then an outfit to go home, that was pretty much it.  I wore the hospital  issued undies and industrial hospital pads until it was time to go home.  LO wore hospital t shirts until the day we left.  Bring some toiletries from home, the hospital ones are crappy, but really there isn't a ton of stuff that you need.

I did not bring my own pillow, I think hospitals are gross and I would never have been able to bring it home.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• I brought a ton with DS1. With DS2 not so much, and this is what I packed:

-toiletries

-gown/robe/slippers

-sleeping nursing bra

-going home outfits

-boppy

Everything else they will give to you if you need it.

TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • chapstick!  Bring chapstick!!! and lotion!  I ended up stealing some of Alice's baby lotion because I was about to scratch my skin clean off.

also, travel size soap and shampoo.  That first shower was effing amazing, and I was so glad I had my own stuff.  Everyone told me to bring my own fluffy socks, but frankly I was dying of a heat stroke and socks was the last thing I wanted.  if your hair is long enough, make sure you have ponytail holders.

Obviously, a couple changes of clothes - bring extra pants!  I bled through more than one pair.  

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • Must haves:

-hair ties
    -chapstick
    -comfy fluffy socks/slippers
    -camera and charger
    -Nursing gown or nightgown that is easy to nurse in.  I liked to get out of the hospital gown on day 2.
    -DD's ultrasound to look at during labor to remind me of what I was getting!

Didn't use:
    -Boppy
    -Breast pump
    -Underpants.  I am one of the weirdos that LOVED the mesh panties they let you use post-delivery

Forgot and wish I had brought:

-An extra outfit for myself that had pants to go home in (I ended up with a c-section and didn't have enough clothes for myself for the extra day)
    -An extra 2 newborn outfits for the baby (I didn't want to leave her in the hospital shirt, but didn't bring enough clothes for her due to the extra day in the hospital.  I also brought 0-3 months and they were too big!)

• linzeeh80linzeeh80 member
    edited November 2013
    @hopefulmom81 I'm one of those weirdos too, I love the mesh panties lol Thanks For the suggestions ladies! :)

TTC since August 2011
    "If there ever comes a day when we can't be together... Keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." ~ Winnie the Pooh

Beta#1 @ 15dpo 274, P4 16.9 Beta#2 @ 18dpo 940!! Doubling time of 40 hours!! u/s @ 6w2d showed a beautiful HB of 120! u/s @ 10w1d HB 174!! Grow, LO Grow!! Found out 7/22 we are TEAM BLUE!!
    ~*~AL Always Welcome~*~
    imageimage

• I'm trying to remember since it's been about 2.5 years since I had DS, but I believe this is what I brought:

Changes of clothes for myself

Going home outfit for DS

Lanolin and Medela hydrogel pads (LIFE SAVERS!!!! My nipples were DYING!)

Nursing bras/tanks

Boppy

My own toiletries from home (shampoo, conditioner, facewash, etc)

Extra underwear (although I ended up wearing the mesh panties the entire time)

Camera/camera charger, phone charger

I'm not recalling anything else...this seems about right. :)

BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• PP's have all given great suggestions! I would add- 

Your own bath towel- I am a bigger girl, and those tiny postage size towels they give you are a joke

Snacks- lots of snacks! 

Either a laptop, phone, or iPod- something to play music while you're in labor.

Plus just about everything PP mentioned. 

Oh, and I am one of those weirdos who like the mesh undies, too! Also make sure you get as many of those ice pack/ pad thingies to take home as you can. And take the dermoplast spray they give you, and the squirt bottle- those things saved my bottom when we got home!! 
    PAL JULY SIGGY CHALLENGE: CAKE WRECKS
    You Made me a mommy... 

Ticker id: ARvP

imageimageimageimageimage
     Lilypie - (KAFM)

1. Baby going home outfit.
    2. Camera and chargers.
    3. Laptop, iPad and chargers (to keep DH busy).
    4. List of phone numbers to call. When the excitment hits I could never remember who I called and who I didn't.  And DH was calling and I was calling so we didn't know if someone was missed.  I think it would be good to have a list and cross it off as you go.
    5. Pillow - I brought my own pillow from home so I would be more comfortable.
    6. Boppy
    7. Baby book and pen for guest signatures and hand/footprints.
    8. Loose outfit for going home (scheduled c-section).
    9. Nursing pads and tanks.
    10. Robe and slippers.
    11. DVD movies.
    12. Snacks
    13. Toilteries:
      1. Shampoo/conditioner
      2. Body wash/luffa
      3. Brush
      4. Hairdryer
      5. Toothbrush
      6. Make-up
      7. Facial Moisterizer
      8. Face Bar
      9. Lip Balm
      10. Pony tail holder
      11. Contact case and solution
      12. Glasses

I brought PJ's but ended up just using their nightgowns. I don't think we ended up watching any of the DVD's. There's nothing I really regretted bringing and nothing I can recall wishing I did bring.

| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Tracker</a>[url=http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/43ff7d]
    [img]http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/43ff7d/ttc.png[/img]
    [/
    RA with Sjogren's Syndrome. Risk of heart block in newborn. Age: DH and I are both 38.
    BFP #1: 11/25/2007, EDD 7/28/2008 - Missed m/c (blighted ovum) 12/6/2007 6w3d, D&C 1/3/2008.
    BFP #2: 4/2008 - Natural m/c at 6w.
    Met with RE in 5/2008 full cycle analysis and SA normal. Not considered high risk for blood clots but prescribed 1 baby aspirin a day precautionary during TTC and Progesterone suppositories during 1st trimester of pregnancy.
    BFP #3: 10/17/2008. EDD 6/23/2009,  Third time's the charm! Healthy baby boy born 6/27/2009 via emergency c-section.
    BFP #4: 6/14/2011. Healthy baby boy born 2/16/2012 via elective c-section.
    BFP #5: 1/15/2014. EDD 9/22/2014. 
    2/17/14:.We have a BABY!!! Heart rate 167 and measuring on time. 3/10/14 u/s #2 baby measuring perfectly at 12 weeks at heart rate of 166. NT u/s was normal. Maternit21 blood draw on 3/5/14. Results back on 3/19 - Normal.  It's a BOY!!!  4/10/14 at 16 weeks, 3 days discovered baby's heart stopped at 15 weeks, 6 days. D&C 4/11/14.  Pathology results were all normal.  New information on 8/11/14 - blood test revealed 1/3 of babys blood was in mine caused, most likely, by a tear in the placenta from extreme coughing.  Doctor believes this to be the cause of death.  Repeat D&C and Hysteroscopy scheduled for 8/19/14.  My Chart

• I packed more than I needed with DD. This time, I plan on just packing...

Clothes:
    2 of DH's old pj pants for me
    2 nursing tanks w/nursing pads
    1 hoodie/sweatshirt
    2 pairs of socks/1 throw away slippers
    1 Going home outfit for DD

Toiletries for DH and I (mostly travel size):
    Toothbrush/Toothpaste
    Shampoo/Conditioner
    Soap
    Lotion/Chapstick
    Hairbrush/Hair Tie

Misc:
    Glasses
    Phone/Camera Chargers
    Purse

DH packed clothes last time but didn't really need much except underwear and socks. We might have the diaper bag for DD's stuff ready with an extra set of clothes in case she spends some time with us there, but not really planning on it. I'd actually prefer DH stay at home with DD as much as possible than be with me before and after the delivery.
    My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
    BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
    BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
    BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
    BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
    BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
    BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
  • I'm not going to repeat what PPs have already said, but they've shared a lot of good suggestions.

I completely over packed, but I was very grateful to have:
    - all my own toiletries (I went out and bought travel bottles of my favorite Aveda products, which were expensive, but when I finally got to shower, it felt so good to spoil myself)
    -my makeup (I only put it on the day we got to go home, but it felt SO GOOD to look "pretty" after looking like a zombie for almost a week!)
    - my PJ pants that were a size up from what I normally wear and have a drawstring waist. I ended up needing a c-section and had to stay in the hospital for nearly a week. I was sick of the hospital gowns but any other pants were very uncomfortable.
    - flip flops. I was mostly barefoot in my hospital room because I was hot and my feet were still swollen. But if I had to/wanted to walk somewhere, it was easy to just slip those puppies on over my sausage feet.
    - a black maternity/nursing dress that I wore home. Not only was I super comfy, but I felt a little bit pretty, too! And the black dress covered up the giant but cozy mesh undies I wore home. (I also took several pairs home and wore them until I ran out!)

Also, when I packed my bag, I made a list of things I wanted to bring but could not pack until the last minute. (cell phone, charger, a surprise goodie bag for DH, toothbrush, my retainer) This way, I wouldn't forget them.

I can't believe you are already talking hospital bag! So exciting!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Must haves:

-hair ties
    -chapstick
    -comfy fluffy socks/slippers
    -camera and charger
    -Nursing gown or nightgown that is easy to nurse in.  I liked to get out of the hospital gown on day 2.
    -DD's ultrasound to look at during labor to remind me of what I was getting!

Didn't use:
    -Boppy
    -Breast pump
    -Underpants.  I am one of the weirdos that LOVED the mesh panties they let you use post-delivery

Forgot and wish I had brought:

-An extra outfit for myself that had pants to go home in (I ended up with a c-section and didn't have enough clothes for myself for the extra day)
    -An extra 2 newborn outfits for the baby (I didn't want to leave her in the hospital shirt, but didn't bring enough clothes for her due to the extra day in the hospital.  I also brought 0-3 months and they were too big!)
    Same here on the boppy! I didn't even use it at home. Sofa pillows and regular pillows were always easier.

And the mesh panties. I loved those, and asked for some to take home with me, which I didn't expect after hearing about how much everyone hated them. I wanted the security of GIANT UNDERPANTS.

Agreed on the comfy clothes and slippers. I ended up packing a lot of labor stuff I didn't even get to use, but I do have a good friend who avoided unnecessary interventions by using her breast pump to kick her labor into gear. So, there's that!

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kklamb10 said:
    One tip on the mesh underware. Ask for boy shorts! My hospital had both the regular underware style and boy shorts. The boy shorts were way better!
    Oh, yeah, this is what they had! I didn't realize there were any other kind.

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi sweetie!!!!! You are getting soooo close...cant believe it!!!!

Everyone has some amazing advice...but here are a few of my top suggestions!!

Bring your own pillow and blanket for you and DH. The hospital ones are pretty plasticky and having comforts from home was sooooooo nice!! I brought a fuzzy blanket and all the nurses were commenting on it.

Don't bother with a nursing pillow, you wont use it. Just use a pillow.

Slipers since hospital floors are grosse

Grama underwear since the ones they provide are grosse

Cant think of anything else besides the obvious....toiletries, camera etc...

XOXOXO

BFP#1 D&C May 18th 2012 at 9 wks. EDD Dec 17 2012
    BFP#2 CP Sept 17th 2012 at 4.5 wks. EDD May 23 2013
    BFP#3 EDD June 24th 2013 IT'S A GIRL!
    BFP#4 EDD March 2 2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lots of good advice here. For me, having my own fluffy bath towel from home was essential.

I wanted my own clothes- leggings, yoga pants, nursing tanks and cardigans/ hoodies. I was there for 11 days recovering from my csection and then boarding while DS was in Special Care Nursery.

I also loved the mesh boy short panties. I even secured another box to take home and wore them for another week!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
    BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
    BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
    BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

• In addition to what everyone else said...

If you bring your own pillow- use a colored pillowcase (ie not white) so it doesn't get confused with the hospital pillows!

A robe. I had lots of visitors- and was glad I had a robe!

I brought my own fuzzy socks with grips on the bottom.   I was sooo glad I had these!!  I was so swollen after 3 days of fluids that the hospital socks would not have fit and my shoes barely fit for the ride home. 

Oh- and make-up remover towelettes.  I used these the first day before I was able to take a shower!
    TTC since Feb 2012. Me: 39, DH: 37
    BFP #1 5/27/12- m/c 7/9/12 @ 10w2d (cytotec induced @11w).
    Fibroids, Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism
    BFP #2 11/18/12  EDD 7/27/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you, ladies! Now off to pack my bag! See you over here in 6 weeks! Eek!

TTC since August 2011

~*~AL Always Welcome~*~
    imageimage

• I brought too much and barely used any of it. I had a c-section so stayed a long time. I checked in Friday for induction and had DD Sat. afternoon. Went home Tues. I stayed in the hospital gown the whole time. Here are my recommendations.

1. Camera + charger, phone, iPod for music
    2. Going home outfits - I brought both NB and 0-3. LO was too big for NB. She stayed in the hospital swaddle until it was time to go home.
    3. Chapstick
    4. Snacks
    5. I used the breast pump due to low supply - but had DH go home to get it & boppy because pillows weren't working. 
    May PAL Siggy Challenge - Mom Humor
    TTC Since June 2009 
    BFP #1 - 1/15/12, EDD 9/21/12, Missed M/C - 2/10/12 - I miss you Sapphire!

BFP #2 - 7/1/12 - Met my lucky charm Alexandra on 3-16-13!!!

image image image 
    AL always welcome! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"