VBAC
Options

"advanced maternal age" and VBACs

This year I had my first child via c-section, and I would love to try for a VBAC next time around.  For those of you who have had a successful VBAC, I was just curious as to how old you were.  I am not planning on getting pregnant again anytime in the immediate future, but I'll probably be around 36 when I have my next one.  That doesn't seem too old to me, but I keep reading how "advanced maternal age" (which I think is 35 or older) is a factor that decreases the likelihood of a sucessful VBAC.  Has anyone on this board successfully VBACed in their later 30s or beyond? 

Re: "advanced maternal age" and VBACs

• Options
    I am still hoping for my VBA2C but I'll be 35 when I deliver and my doctor never said anything about my "advanced maternal age." Wen I asked if my at would be an issue, he just kind of rolled his eyes, so I was encouraged by that. I could see my old practice using that against me so I'm glad I have a supportive doctor this time. Why do they say age makes a difference, do you know?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have no idea why exactly age would make a difference, other than that older women are at greater risk for other pregnancy complications.  I don't think that being older would increase your risk for uterine rupture, or at least I have never read anything to that effect.  Good luck to you on your VBAC2C.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know why age would play a role either. Met with both doctors in my practice have no issues with me attempting a VBA2C and I'll be a month shy of my 40th when this baby is born. 
  • Options
    Yep!  My last two have been at 35 and 38.  I'm due in Dec. And I am now 42.  This will be my 6 th VBAC.  
  • Options
    I had my first at 33 due to breech presentation and a fibroid that was in the way. Even after having a myomectomy to remove the fibroid and being 36 at delivery,y OB was supportive of my VBAC. She didn't feel the risk was any higher than with another csection. 35 is just the start of the cut off. Your OB/midwife should look at the whole picture, not just your age.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"