Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Medical or D&C?

My doctor said they will prescribe me cyotech to pass my missed miscarriage. The baby stopped growing at 4w4d.
What are your experiences with both? I want the quickest and easiest way to do this.

Pregnancy Ticker
MMC- 11/2013 @ 9 weeks

Re: Medical or D&C?

• Options
    Im sorry for your loss. A d&c is faster and easier, but that doesn't mean it's the right choice for you. I highly recommend discussing both options - pros and cons - with your dr. There are risks to both. I've only had a d&c and was happy with that choice for me (although not optional). It was over quick and I felt great physically soon after. Wishing you the best and hugs.
    TTC: Since July 2013
    BFP #1: EDD 05/27/2014 (D&C 10/17/2014)
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss.  Like PP said, the choice is totally up to you and should be based on full knowledge of your choices.  

I went the D&C route.  The procedure was fine but I had a lot of cramping for a little under a week afterwards.  The cramping is gone now and I have just minimal spotting.  I am happy with my choice.

Good luck.
    BFP #1 09/26/2013 EDD 06/04/2013 MMC 11/01/2013
    BFP #2 05/15/2014 EDD 01/24/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also chose to have a d&c. it was the right choice for me. for me the unknown of taking the medicine and waiting for it to happen seemed unbearable. not to mention what I would see/feel as it was happening. it was really giving me anxiety. but with that said, everyone feels differently and what was right for me may not be for someone else.
    good luck to you. it sucks we even have to think about this at all
  • Options
    I just did the medical option.  I wrote out my story here.

It is a very personal decision and I honestly don't think there is an "easy" way to do this.  It just sucks no matter what and there are risks either way.  I hope you come to a decision you are comfortable with and that it goes as well as possible for you.  Feel free to PM me any questions you have about my experience with the medical option if you want.  Good luck.

Me- 29, DH - 28
    BFP #1 9/27/2013, EDD 6/10/2014, Mmc 11/01/2013, completed with misoprostol 11/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/5/2014, EDD 10/15/2014, Lillian Verletta born 10/23/14
    Daisypath Friendship tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PAL January Siggy Challenge: Good Advice
  • Options
    First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. My dr only gave me a choice of natural (aka wait it out) of a d&c. I opted for the d&c route. I'm a teacher, and couldn't imagine being in class while actively miscarring. Plus, I was worried there would be a lot of blood/tissue because I should've been about 11 weeks at the d&c. I had my d&c last Wednesday and still am experiencing cramping and some bleeding. I would discuss both routes with your dr & ultimately it is a personal desicion.

photo 547272ca-2f78-4a6c-88ce-0afe6fc98419_zps05f67081.jpg
    BFP#1 9/14/2013  ||  EDD 5/25/2014  ||  mmc discovered on 11/1/2013  ||  d&c on 11/6/2013
    BFP#2 12/8/2014  ||  EDD 8/19/2015 || please be our RAINBOW
    **All Welcome**

• Options
    I did a d&c at 6.5 weeks baby was 4wk6day and currently going natural with twins at 5weeks. The d&c is a faster and no pain for me afterwards however there is a chance of scarring of the uterus. but its also less of a reminder of the constant red and cramps. :(

us      dogs

Me: 28, DH: 30 TTC since March 2012
    PCO & MTHFR Homozygous/Severe MFI (undescended teste & double hernia as baby)

12/12: 50mg clomid= bfn
    1/13: 100mg clomid= bfn
    2/13: 100mg clomid= bfn 
    6/13: IVF/ICSI (x1 4AA)=BFFN ~49R, 44M, 33F, 14 frosties  OHSS
    8/13: FET #1 (x1 4AA)=First EVER BFP 4dp5dt!! d&c @ 6.5 wks, blighted ovum

10/13: FET #2 (x2 4AA)= BFP 4dp5dt! Twins!!, perfect u/s then spontaneous m/c @ 5 wks
    11/13= RPL/Karotyping= MTHFR Homozygous c667t
    1/14= FET #3 our 2 year anniversary & hopefully our miracle

2 Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

pumpimage

• Options
    I decided the d&c route and had mine this morning. Was in and out in just about 3 hours. Minimal bleeding so far but cramps are pretty painful. Doc said they should only last a few days. It feels good to have it done and out. Now we can focus on the future. But ultimately the decision is a personal decision and everyone is different. Go with what you are most comfortable with. And remember that there are equal risks with both. Good luck.
  • Options
    I elected to have the d&c.  The medication can be painful and just for me sounded like an awful experience.  I think having a d&c was the easiest way to go. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    I just had my d&c this afternoon. For me there wasn't too much of an option because my body had already held on to everything for almost 4 weeks and at that point the dr was worried about infection if it went on longer. But I am so glad I went this route I am 7hrs out of the procedure, barely bleeding, and only minimally cramping.

I am usually a very natural, organic, minimally invasive person... But I also knew for me the waiting game would be emotionally and physically tolling as well as hard considering my job. I think like many people have said it is very dependent on the person, but you know you and the best choice for you. Hoping you are able to decide and are able to recover quickly and with minimal pain! Hugs!

BFP: 9/21/13 | EDD:5/31/14 | MC confirmed:11/6/13 | D&C:11/12/13
    BFP: 1/14/14 | EDD: 9/21/14 | MC confirmed: 2/3/14 | D&C: 2/4/14
    DX 3/18/14 (Complete) Septate Uterus | Resection 4/22/14
    BFP: 8/5/14 | EDD: 4/19/15
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    How many weeks was your little peanut when they stopped growing? I'm so sorry for your loss

Pregnancy Ticker
    MMC- 11/2013 @ 9 weeks
  • Options
    I took the pills over the weekend. This was our first pregnancy and I didn't want to risk scarring for next time. I took one set of pills Friday night. Didn't bleed as much as I thought I would, so I called the dr on call who suggested I take another set. Well the pharmacy screwed up and only gave me 2/4 pills. I'm scheduled for my follow up us on Monday. But now it sounds like my doc may have me take the pills one more time before then.

I've never done a d&c, but knowing it could be basically done within a few hours does sound nice.

But as the others have said, it's a personal decision.
    BabyFetus Ticker

~My history~
    TTC since August 2013
    10/2013 BFP #1 - mmc 11/2013 cytotec
    6/2014 began fertility help with RE
    12/2014 BFP #2 12dpo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"