Baby won't let me leave! — The Bump
March 2013 Moms

Baby won't let me leave!

I have the oddest thing going on with dd. she enjoys playing on her own, getting down on the floor, etc. HOWEVER, if we walk away from her general area (even for a second) she cries that heartbroken you're-never-coming-back cry.

She's not clingy to us, she can entertain herself..so I don't get it. And I mean the crying starts the second we turn to walk away. And by walk away I mean walk four feet around the corner of the fridge into the kitchen or behind the corner of the hallway to the laundry. Just barely out of her sight :/. I'm not sure what to do. Thoughts? I even tell her where in going/what I'm doing so to reassure her lol.

Re: Baby won't let me leave!

• My LO does this too, although he is starting to get a little clingy especially with me. I try to turn it into a game of peek a boo and that seems to help a bit. So I peek back around the corner a few times before actually going to do what I need. Or sometimes I sing his favorite songs so he can hear that I'm not far away.
  • My baby girl does the same thing. Then she comes crawling after me crying mamamama
    Jenny DiLo
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine does the same thing, I think it's just the phase of separation anxiety.  I try not to go back and pick her up every single time, I will keep talking to her while I walk away, reassure her that I'm still there, sometimes play a quick game of peek a boo to distract her.  I read that it's a good idea to start playing a "bye bye" game, where you say bye bye, leave the room, and then come back a few minutes later to show them that when you leave you really are coming back.  I've done that too, but she still fusses when I walk away.  Usually a toy or my peek a boo game will distract her, at least for a few minutes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • At least we're not the only ones! And it's so pitiful to hear them say mamamaaa when you walk away :( it breaks my heart just a teeny bit

jdilorenzo
  • RibbitGrl930RibbitGrl930 member
    edited November 2013
    Mine does the same thing, I think it's just the phase of separation anxiety.  I try not to go back and pick her up every single time, I will keep talking to her while I walk away, reassure her that I'm still there, sometimes play a quick game of peek a boo to distract her.  I read that it's a good idea to start playing a "bye bye" game, where you say bye bye, leave the room, and then come back a few minutes later to show them that when you leave you really are coming back.  I've done that too, but she still fusses when I walk away.  Usually a toy or my peek a boo game will distract her, at least for a few minutes.

Bingo. It's a sign baby has deepened her bond with you and wants to be with you more and more. It can be a pain to deal with, but the implications are GOOD! :)

• I sing to her to let her know that i am still around even though she can't see me.  I will also play peekaboo with her too.  I feel terrible and it is very difficult to do things when they are crying like that but it is a phase they have to learn how to get through.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards