Baby Names
Options

Tinley or Tenley?

What is the proper spelling or are they two different names?

Also, thoughts?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Tinley or Tenley?

• Options
    Gut reaction: I don't recognize either of these as names.  If they are, I'm just unfamiliar with them.  Also, while BehindTheName doesn't necessarily have the final word, neither of them are found on there, so I don't have anything to go by regarding meaning or history.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I'm not sure I like either of them for me but I heard someone talking about it the other day and thought I would see what the masses thought.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Since they're both random surnames as first names, there's no "proper" spelling.  If you pronounce them differently (not everyone does, but I do), choose the pronunciation you prefer.  I associate Tenley with the Tenleytown neighborhood in Washington DC.  I find them both cutesy, juvenile, and trendy-sounding on a girl.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    I know you want a chose a really pretty and upbeat name for your baby girl. Unfortunately, the current trend is to just sort of mash letters together and claim it spells something it doesn't. It is confusing, especially if you live in the south where a lot of words are pronounced differently than they should be. It's always funny to me that in a lot of current naming trends, the letters i, e, and y are practically interchangeable. They are not, or we would only have one of them instead of all 3. 

The number ten is not pronounced the same as the metal tin. Just as a writing pen is not pronounced the same as a safety pin. Tinley and Tenley would not be pronounced the same IF they were pronounced correctly... but we all have seen this trend enough to know that the parents are intending us to say "tin-lee" with a sort of twang on the first syllable. 

If you chose this name, I would spell it Tinley. This is the most appropriate spelling and also looks nicer than Tenley with the repeated e. I have also seen Tinleigh before but it seems overly complicated. I don't personally like this name because I prefer classic names and this seems like it would not age well. I can't imagine a 30 year old Tinley, only a 4 year old, but that is relative to the time I grew up. 

Please consider these instead. They all have the pretty spirit of Tinley but are more widely recognized and will age better with her:

Tessa
    Trista
    Hailey
    Holly
    Fiona
    Gemma
    Annaleise 
    Lindsey
    Natalie
    You can also google "names like _____" with any of these options to get hundreds more.

Another GREAT option would be a nice classic name with a sweet nickname. It gives a little more flexibility as she grows and you still get a more cutesy name like Tinley.

Amelia nn "Millie"
    Cristina nn "Crissy"
    Camille/Camilla nn "Cami"
    Madeleine nn "Maddie"
    Lillian nn "Lilly"

Best of luck and just know that no one here is trying to be cruel, but they are just saying the things that everyone you know in real life will be thinking but not say to you :)
  • Options
    Just saw your reply that you aren't pg and this is not a name you are considering. So I guess disregard everything I said? 
  • Options

Two different names.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options

Yeah, I don't think they're "made-up" necessarily. They're LNs that have been repurposed as FNs, so....there's like a million of those right now.

I'd pronounce them differently, but I guess depending on the accent of the speaker I wouldn't necessarily know which name was being used if I heard it shouted at a playground.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Never heard it before but I say them differently:
    (Tin-lee) & (Ten-lee)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've heard of Tinsley before from the ny socialite Tinsley Mortimer but never Tinley or Tenley. Makes me think "tiny Tim" for some reason. Ha.
  • Options
    The masses say NO.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    The masses say NO.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I guess no one watched the bachelor during jakes season. The runner up was a very sweet girl named tinley and I had never heard it before.  Now I am hearing it a lot. Personally I think that is where the trend started. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Ugh, Tenley from the Bachelor was annoying and fake.  If I didn't hate the name already I would have after that season, lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • Options
    I think Tenley sounds a little better than Tinley.
  • Options
    Horrible, both of them.
  • Options
    Darbie914 said:

I think both spellings are correct but they are two different (and trendy) names.  TIN-lee, like tin foil, and TEN-lee, like ten fingers.  

NMS at all.
    </block quote

Agree. Never actually seen Tinley though. I've seen Tenley.

• Options
    A girl I know has a daughter named Tinley…I had never heard of it before her.  I definitely think it is a cool name and the spelling I think is whatever you would feel comfortable with or you like.  I like unique/different spellings. :-)
  • Options
    I don't like either of them..... at all. The only time I have seen it was on 16 & Pregnant and she spelled it Tinleigh, I honestly thought she made it up until now.
    ~Married 12.09.12~
    ~NTNP #1 since 11.14 - Current Cycle: 2~
    imageimage

• Options
    Neither.
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"