Two Under 2

how to breastfeed AND get things done?

My new LO just turned 1 week and I know this is a really needy time and establishing supply but my first was BF and I let her eat ALL the time- I could never figure out difference between hunger and comfort nursing and I just don't want that again. Plus i think i gave her some bad sleeping associations habits that i would love to avoid this time. I would love some sort f loose schedule but I understand the importance of on demand feeding. I wonder if bottle fed babies eat so often/so time consuming in this regard. If anyone has insights I would appreciate it. How to you get things done and BF on demand? TIA

Answers

• I am planning on trying to wear DD a lot when she arrives so I cans till play with DS and get chores done. There is a new shirt called the NuRoo that looks like you can breastfeed while wearing your baby. Hoping this might help me accomplish all tasks. HTH! 
  • My DD#2 needed to eat for at least 45 minutes every 2-3 hours when she was an infant.  I know this because I went to a breastfeeding check in at the local hospital and it was only after 45 minutes that she would have taken in 1.5-2 ounces.  In order to do anything with my other 2 kids, I learned to nurse her in a maya wrap (a ring sling).  There are videos on youtube about how to do it, and I practiced a bunch.  But once we got the hang of it, it was a lifesaver.  I could feed her anywhere and she could eat for as long as she needed to!  

As for the on demand nursing stuff, I don't quite know what I did - I wouldn't let them go longer than 3 hours during the day without eating, so I would wake them up.  If it had been under 2 hours from when they last ate, I would try other things first before feeding them (diaper change, picking them up, pacifier, but if that didn't work, I would just feed them.  None of them were huge eaters - I never felt they would stay there forever if I didn't take them off!  I usually had the opposite problem.  They were so sleepy that they didn't eat enough!

Good luck!
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The Baby Whisperer (book) recommends a general pattern (rather than timed schedule) of E-A-S-Y: Eat, Activity, Sleep, You time. So, the baby eats, does an activity - play, tummy time, etc., then sleeps, and that is when you get "you time" to get things done. Then repeat throughout the day.
    Not sure how helpful that is, or if it addresses the issue of needing to multitask, but there it is. Generally, baby-wearing is going to be essential for getting anything done while breastfeeding.
  • You just accept that for a while you're NOT going to get things done. :)

No really...a few tips.  Binkies for that in-between comfort sucking.  Babywearing.  Creating 1 little daily goal (laundry, dishes, cleaning a room, etc).  Just 1.  If you accomplish more, great!   Don't expect more of yourself than that with a newborn breastfeeding baby.  And if you don't set goals you will get overwhelmed with the list of things that you aren't accomplishing and think you should be instead of relaxing on the couch nursing that newborn baby.

Best wishes!

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • mjcleve said:

You just accept that for a while you're NOT going to get things done. :)

No really...a few tips.  Binkies for that in-between comfort sucking.  Babywearing.  Creating 1 little daily goal (laundry, dishes, cleaning a room, etc).  Just 1.  If you accomplish more, great!   Don't expect more of yourself than that with a newborn breastfeeding baby.  And if you don't set goals you will get overwhelmed with the list of things that you aren't accomplishing and think you should be instead of relaxing on the couch nursing that newborn baby.

Best wishes!

Pretty much this!

• You will figure it all out.  Nursing the second one was certainly not the relaxing bonding time that it was with the first.  I nursed while reading, playing cars, singing songs, even playing soccer in the living room.  #2 was just latched on and along for the ride.  No feet propping and focusing on baby time like the first go around.

The up side though?  I CHERISHED those night time feedings with #2.  The quiet house, just the 2 of us and the chance to just sit and be with him was so much more special when it wasn't easily accessible during the day due to entertaining the toddler.
    Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"