Baby Names

Spelling for girl Charlie

ae234ae234 member
edited November 2013 in Baby Names
So if we didn't spell it Charlie, what is your next favorite spelling?

Spelling for girl Charlie 131 votes

Charley
34% 45 votes
Charleigh
5% 7 votes
Charli
6% 9 votes
I want to see the results
53% 70 votes

Re: Spelling for girl Charlie

• There have been way to many posts about naming a girl Charlie lately, I just don't get it. In any case, spell it properly, if you are set on giving her a boy's name don't change the spelling too.

• Loading the player...
  • Spell it correctly. If she's going to have to always confirm that she is, in fact, female, don't make her also have to tell people her super special way to spell a common name.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • Charlotte, Charlie for short. Give her the feminine alternative in case she wants it later.
    Our last name starts with a 'sh' sound.  So would 2 'sh' sounds be better than not giving her an alternative and just using Charlie?
  • I hate boy names on girls and hate NNs as FNs.  I agree with PPs - Charlotte or Charlize with Charlie as a NN is better.

• I am an odd one out here that loves Charlie (spelled correctly) on a little girl IF it is short for a formal name she can use if she doesn't like the NN.
    Natural M/C 03.26.2012 at 10w2d
    Charlotte born at 28w3d due to severe IUGR on 12.24.2012 Merry Christmas!
    Missed M/C discovered 12.22.2014 at 8w1d measuring 6w3d
    2015 was a year to test strength of both body and character, but it led us to this... BFP 01.26.2016 EDD 9.30.2016
  • ae234 said:
    Charlotte, Charlie for short. Give her the feminine alternative in case she wants it later.
    Our last name starts with a 'sh' sound.  So would 2 'sh' sounds be better than not giving her an alternative and just using Charlie?
    I knew a Charlotte Sherwood and I always really liked her name. I definitely think it's better than just using Charlie for the sake of avoiding the SH sound.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm going to be different. I LOVE Charleigh. I know several little girls with that name and spelling! I don't understand the big deal with the spelling. There is Jordyn, Jordan, Jordon (etc.). Charleigh is also in my giant baby names book. It is not uncommon.

Plus I am bias. My name is Brandyn and I have always received compliments on my name.
  • allardrallardr member
    edited November 2013
    all are horrible. Charlie or a different name all together.

I agree with above, Own it if you're using a boy name. My name is Ryan and am so thankful it's not Ryann or Ryanne. Yuck.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • None of the above?

Go with Charlize or Carly.

• Always, always spell a name correctly. None of those are feminine. They're just misspelled.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • you could go all Designing Women and name her Charlene, prn with the hard ch (like Charlie).

I like Carly, but I see it as a nn too.  I would probably go with Charlotte, regardless of alliteration.
  • Just don't do it! Such an awful name for a girl! But if you must, just spell it correctly.
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • It seems to me you're going through all kinds of acrobatics to use this one name when there are several strikes against it and thousands of other choices.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I do like Carly! I know a Carly Mae...though as I said above I certainly dont mind Charlie there are far worse names. Just pair with female mn

• Charlotte, Charlie for short. Give her the feminine alternative in case she wants it later.
    This!!!!

Yup.

TTC 17 months, Dx: MFI (morph = 1,) Endo. Surprise BFP after HSG!
  • I don't really see why it is so bad to name a baby a NN if that is what you are going to call them.  As some of you have said that it is fine as a NN but not as her real first name.  Why?  It isn't like people who hear my call her Charlie will stop and ask 'well she has a real name right?  yeah? oh, then it's ok'  If she doesn't like Charlie she could go by her middle name like a lot of people do.  Or she could go by Charlotte or something else similar even if it isn't her legal name. 
  • Don't name a girl Charlie. It's a boy's name. If you really want to call her Charlie, pick a girl's name where that can be a nickname like Charlotte. (I still think that's awful, but not AS bad.)
  • ae234 said:

I don't really see why it is so bad to name a baby a NN if that is what you are going to call them.  As some of you have said that it is fine as a NN but not as her real first name.  Why?  It isn't like people who hear my call her Charlie will stop and ask 'well she has a real name right?  yeah? oh, then it's ok'  If she doesn't like Charlie she could go by her middle name like a lot of people do.  Or she could go by Charlotte or something else similar even if it isn't her legal name. 

Because nicknames aren't legal names. If a girl hates being called a boy's name, she can just say hey, I'd rather be called by my real name. But if Charlie is her real name she is stuck with it unless she does a name change.
  • BC&LM said:
    I don't really see why it is so bad to name a baby a NN if that is what you are going to call them.  As some of you have said that it is fine as a NN but not as her real first name.  Why?  It isn't like people who hear my call her Charlie will stop and ask 'well she has a real name right?  yeah? oh, then it's ok'  If she doesn't like Charlie she could go by her middle name like a lot of people do.  Or she could go by Charlotte or something else similar even if it isn't her legal name. 
    Because nicknames aren't legal names. If a girl hates being called a boy's name, she can just say hey, I'd rather be called by my real name. But if Charlie is her real name she is stuck with it unless she does a name change.
    If a girl's legal name is Elizabeth she can just say hey, I'd rather be called Liz.  Or if her legal name is Liz she can just say hey, I'd rather be called Elizabeth.  WTF is the difference??
  • bacorrea said:

I'm going to be different. I LOVE Charleigh. I know several little girls with that name and spelling! I don't understand the big deal with the spelling. There is Jordyn, Jordan, Jordon (etc.). Charleigh is also in my giant baby names book. It is not uncommon.

Plus I am bias. My name is Brandyn and I have always received compliments on my name.

Yes, it is uncommon. It ranked 687 on the SS name list last year. That's pretty uncommon. And just because it's in a baby names book doesn't make it a good name for a girl.
  • ae234 said:

Charlotte, Charlie for short. Give her the feminine alternative in case she wants it later.

Yep. Infinitely better.
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    edited November 2013
    ae234 said:

BC&LM said:

ae234 said:

If a girl's legal name is Elizabeth she can just say hey, I'd rather be called Liz.  Or if her legal name is Liz she can just say hey, I'd rather be called Elizabeth.  WTF is the difference??

-----

Legal names are what the world knows people as. You can't just say, oh hey, I prefer this name, so please put it on my credit card, W2, school transcripts, etc. You have to use your legal name for a lot of things in life. So it's totally different than a nickname.

Plus, who says, I prefer to go by Maxwell even though my legal name is Max? Or Richard even though my legal name is Rich? Very few people. The whole point of a nickname is to make one's name quicker to say, not longer.

ETA: And Liz is a just a smaller part of Elizabeth. But Elizabeth is not a smaller part of Liz; it's an elongation.

• ae234 said:

People are adults for most of their lives. Charlie might be cute up until late teens/early 20s. But eventually she will grow up. Charlie is juvenile in my opinion. I think you should at least give her the option to go by a more adult, professional, sophisticated name. If she likes Charlie, fair enough. But she should have the choice.

• allardrallardr member
    edited November 2013
    ae234 said:
    I agree! That's why I hate the name Maxwell/Maximus because everyone just goes by Max anyway so have the guts to just use Max or in this case just use Charlie. With a femanine mn she'd still have that option later in life. 
    I think it's more confusing to have legal name that NEVER gets used.

And the whole wedding day argument is silly. My name is Ryan and our invites etc. were just fine with Ryan & David...people know you its not like these are random people being like what two dudes?!?! (not that I'm saying anything is wrong with that either)

• I would spell it Charlene
  • What about Charla? Feminine, but still rolls off the tongue much like Charlie.
  • A friend of a friend named her DD Charlee it's cute but confusing at the same time especially if your just reading the name and then trying to figure out the sex
    February Siggy Challenge May 2014: Favorite Wedding Photoimage

I was going to say the exact same thing!

• I like the Carly suggestion! Not a fan of Charlie for a girl.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"