1st Trimester
Options

bleeding after chiropractor appt

Just when I was getting comfortable...

I went to the chiropractor this evening and he did a manipulation on my right hip which is still kind of sore and also put pressure on my lower back and sides. I went to the bathroom when I got home and everything was fine but when I got to work and went to the bathroom and wiped there was blood. It wasnt bright red but it wasnt dark either, more so in between the two. I had a SCH and the last time it was checked it was almost to small to be seen by the radiologist so I dont think its that breaking down further at this point as it was last checked a week and a half ago.

I should be taking my own advice and trying to stay calm, resting, calling the hospital, etc but thats easier said than done. I dont have any major cramping, nothing more than what I've been feeling from the start. I go for my 10 week appt and u/s tomorrow and a part of me wants to hold out and just wait but if I did end up going to the ER down here I'd be dealing with a horrid doc who nearly killed me last year.

Has anyone had bleeding after a chiro appt? Thoughts and prayers would be much appreciated right now. I am going to lose it between now and 7am.

Re: bleeding after chiropractor appt

• Options
    This may or may not give you some reassurance but I had some spotting on Friday. The day before I was cleaning my bathroom like a madwoman - very vigorously and aggressively, like I would have done while angry before pregnancy(I clean when I'm mad). I think my overly sensitive body was trying to tell me it was just a bit too much. I had been stretching over my tub and bending and scrubbing. Now, it's not the same as a chiropractic adjustment but it's still strain causing spotting. It was light brown and watery and only lasted a very short period of time. I had some pain on my left side - felt like round ligament pain. Wasn't cramping, it didn't progress and the spotting stopped by that evening.
    I don't know what your job entails but if you can rest as much as possible it should help. The bonus is you have an ultrasound tomorrow to check and make sure everythings ok. That's pretty much all they'd really be able to do to confirm at the ER anyway so in my opinion, I'd just wait. Try to be calm (easier said than done) but most definitely take it easy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemaiganlynn:
    This may or may not give you some reassurance but I had some spotting on Friday. The day before I was cleaning my bathroom like a madwoman - very vigorously and aggressively, like I would have done while angry before pregnancy(I clean when I'm mad). I think my overly sensitive body was trying to tell me it was just a bit too much. I had been stretching over my tub and bending and scrubbing. Now, it's not the same as a chiropractic adjustment but it's still strain causing spotting. It was light brown and watery and only lasted a very short period of time. I had some pain on my left side - felt like round ligament pain. Wasn't cramping, it didn't progress and the spotting stopped by that evening.
    I don't know what your job entails but if you can rest as much as possible it should help. The bonus is you have an ultrasound tomorrow to check and make sure everythings ok. That's pretty much all they'd really be able to do to confirm at the ER anyway so in my opinion, I'd just wait. Try to be calm (easier said than done) but most definitely take it easy.

I did some research on the whole adjustment thing and in some cases it can cause bleeding. A little more reassuring I guess. I work night audit at a hotel so I basically sit all night until about 6 when guests start coming up for coffee. I called the hospital and the nurse just told me to try and rest and watch the bleeding. This is what I found on this site https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2647084/

" Although, typically, it is quite safe to perform adjustment to a pregnant patient, caution should be exercised.10 Circumstances may arise indicating that chiropractic care is not appropriate and warrant a referral. Contraindications to adjusting may include vaginal bleeding, ruptured amniotic membranes, cramping, sudden onset of pelvic pain, premature labor, placenta previa, placenta abruption, ectopic pregnancy, and moderate to severe toxemia.10 Also, the use of electrical modalities, including stimulation and ultrasound, and radiodiagnostic imaging are contraindicated during pregnancy and should be avoided.10"

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sure you did - but you told the chiropractor you're pregnant, right? I know mine majorly adjusts what she will and will not do. I have an appt. scheduled for Thurs - need some relief from my hip and back pain!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Please let me put your mind and anyone elses mind at ease!  A CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENT WILL NOT....I REPEAT WILL NOT CAUSE YOU TO BLEED!  I hate to say bad timing but that's probably what it was.  I'd be willing to say if you had not seen a chiro, you'd still have the bleeding.  My husband is a chiropractor and said negative, not possible.  Doesn't even come close to the uterus and any aligning of the spin or hips, etc...would not cause bleeding.  I thank God everyday I'm married to a chiropractor during my pregnancy because I don't think I'd have made it this far with as sick as I've been, etc. That being said, spotting is completely normal as everyone else has said and if you're not having any major pain with it, just sit back and relax, rent a good movie, eat some popcorn and enjoy! 
  • Options
    Hi there, it really was a coincidence. Chiro is completely safe and I have been seeing mine for over 15 years. Make sure you tell them that you are pregnant. I told mine and they changed there technique completely. I love my adjustments!
  • Options
    Hi there, it really was a coincidence. Chiro is completely safe and I have been seeing mine for over 15 years. Make sure you tell them that you are pregnant. I told mine and they changed there technique completely. I love my adjustments!
  • Options

imagelisaheaster:
    Please let me put your mind and anyone elses mind at ease!  A CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENT WILL NOT....I REPEAT WILL NOT CAUSE YOU TO BLEED!  I hate to say bad timing but that's probably what it was.  I'd be willing to say if you had not seen a chiro, you'd still have the bleeding.  My husband is a chiropractor and said negative, not possible.  Doesn't even come close to the uterus and any aligning of the spin or hips, etc...would not cause bleeding.  I thank God everyday I'm married to a chiropractor during my pregnancy because I don't think I'd have made it this far with as sick as I've been, etc. That being said, spotting is completely normal as everyone else has said and if you're not having any major pain with it, just sit back and relax, rent a good movie, eat some popcorn and enjoy! 

Yep, you are correct. I saw my doc today and he said it was complete coincidence. I have a severly tipped uterus and the weight of the babies is pulling back and pressing down on my cervix which is causing the most sensitive part to become "exposed" and anytime I move its causing friction and then spotting. It was just very odd to me that it happened right after I saw the chiropractor.

Also, whoever was asking, of course they know I am pregnant.

• Options
    I realize this post is old, but I'd like to comment for anyone still stumbling on it, searching for an answer or peace of mind. My Husband is a Chiropractor as well and yes, it is possible to spot after an adjustment to the lower back. In fact, many women who have an abnormal cycle go to Chiropractors for this very reason; my Sister being one of them. So don't worry, it is completely normal.
  • Options
    Just asked my husband who is a chiro and said its not from the adjustment. He had 8 pregnant patients and my myself who he adjusts regulary and everyone is fine :-)
  • Options
    My dad is a chiropractor and never has he ever started a miscarriage from adjusting a pregnant woman. I wish you luck. Remember to try to stay calm and breathe. :)

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"