C-sections
Options

STMs with c-section experience

Soo.. I am mainly on the Dec 2013 thread, but after yesterdays appointment with my OB, I was told he wants to schedule a c-section due to the baby measuring big... As much as I was against this whole ideal as my birth plan we to delivery naturally if possible...

With c-sections, I have seen a lot of friends go through it and they are miserable for weeks.. and I didnt want that.  Another thing is I dont want anything in my back (epidural, etc)... so that is my question to those who know about c-sections or have gone through one... are there other options besides a needle in your back.. and being put under completely? 

Re: STMs with c-section experience

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

I don't know of any other options either. I actually had a spinal though not an epidural. Main difference as far as i'm concerned is that the needle doesn't stay in your back with a spinal. Its an injection and then its over. The location/medication they use is different also but I don't remember the specifics.

You don't have to agree to a c-section just because the baby is measuring big. Those measurements are notoriously unreliable. DD was supposed to be over 9 lbs and was only 7 lbs 5.6 oz. I had a planned c-section cause she was footling breech with a cord around her neck so weight didn't play into it regardless. Also, I was a 9 lb 15 oz baby and my mom delivered me just fine and she was pretty little - she did opt for an epidural though :)

Just be prepared if you opt for no planned c-section that if the baby is big and you don't progress or the baby gets stuck you may end up needing a c-section during labor. Be upfront with your doctor. If you aren't okay with it then tell him that. Just try not to get too attached to things that may have to change (like it being an all natural birth). You never know what's going to happen and the most important thing is that the baby is born healthy and that you come through health and okay regardless of how the baby is delivered.

I agree.. and I plan to talk to him again next week as everyone is saying that it shouldnt be planned just due to her measurements.  I understand if medically necessary I may have to have one after attempting natural.. but I am ok with that.  I of course want whats best for baby and I.. Thanks for the reply... I will defintely fight for what I want, and if needed I am ok with other options... I would just like to attempt a natural birth :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just remember that just because you have a vaginal delivery doesn't mean an easy recovery. I had a longer more painful recovery with a vaginal birth than most people have with a bag birth or a c section. Just remember whatever happens is meant to be and you can't guarantee an easy recover with either...you never know. Good luck!
  • Options
    I have had 2 c-sections -- one unplanned after 20 hrs of labor and the second planned. I can say with 100% that the planned c-section recovery was so much easier and less painful. With a planned c-section you have a spinal vs epidural. If it's unplanned you usually already have the epidural in you so they continue with that for the surgery. Biggest difference I remember is the epidural makes you shake but the spinal does not and the spinal wears off quicker. Good luck in your decision!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I had a spinal, so one injection in the back but no catheter in the back. It wasn't bad at all, didn't really hurt. The anesthesiologist will decide when you go to the OR whether they want a spinal or epidural. I would definitely stay away from a general anesthesia. Also I don't think I was miserable for weeks. I wouldn't say I was miserable at all afterwards. I was moving slow and taking it easy but I felt fine. The sleep depravation from having a new baby is a lot worse than the csection recovery IMO. Also recovery is worse for ladies who labor for hours then have an emergency c-section than for those going into a scheduled csection.
  • Options

I don't know of any other options either. I actually had a spinal though not an epidural. Main difference as far as i'm concerned is that the needle doesn't stay in your back with a spinal. Its an injection and then its over. The location/medication they use is different also but I don't remember the specifics.

You don't have to agree to a c-section just because the baby is measuring big. Those measurements are notoriously unreliable. DD was supposed to be over 9 lbs and was only 7 lbs 5.6 oz. I had a planned c-section cause she was footling breech with a cord around her neck so weight didn't play into it regardless. Also, I was a 9 lb 15 oz baby and my mom delivered me just fine and she was pretty little - she did opt for an epidural though :)

Just be prepared if you opt for no planned c-section that if the baby is big and you don't progress or the baby gets stuck you may end up needing a c-section during labor. Be upfront with your doctor. If you aren't okay with it then tell him that. Just try not to get too attached to things that may have to change (like it being an all natural birth). You never know what's going to happen and the most important thing is that the baby is born healthy and that you come through health and okay regardless of how the baby is delivered.

This pretty much sums up what I was going to say, especially the part about measurements being off. Do you have any other factors (GD, high BP, baby's position etc) that may affect things? It just seems odd to me that they'd already be talking c/s and measurements when you're due in December.

FWIW, I wanted natural birth both times, but didn't get it. With DD I was able to birth vaginally but had an epidural and pitocin for the last few hours (I was in labor for 36+ hours and had complications) because my labor wasn't progressing. My 2nd pregnancy was twins and I ended up having to plan a c/s because both babies were transverse and one was entangled in his cord. I will be trying for a VBAC if I have another baby in the future.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Options
    I had a spinal with both of mine, and will again. Like pp said though those measurements are usually off. My cousin was told her baby was almost 11 lbs and was born at 8lbs two days after dd
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"